PDA

View Full Version : Sleep in a 5.2KC or 5m SC?

Flex
07-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi all.

As planned when my new boat sells Im going to upgrade again to another.
Doing a bit of research and I've narrowed it down to either a 5.2KC, podded 5m shark cat or even a 18fSC if Its a great deal(i'll have to ware the extra weight)
I'd love a CC cat but looks like I gotta resign myself to a half cab as CC cats are rarer than a cheap 5.2KC. If so I wanna make sure the mrs and I can sleep in the cab.

Having never taken real notice before, but whats the cabin space like on a 5.2KC or 5m Shark cat. can you sleep 2 people in either? are their cabin's comparable?I've check out the cabin in a 5.2KC in person and rekon it wouldn't be hard for 2 people to have a cosy night sleep.

But I've never seen the cabin in a 5m or 5.6m sportsman SC before.

Really hard to find a 5mSC sportsman in the flesh to have a look. Does anyone have a photo by any chance?

Fatenhappy
08-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Hi Flex .... I think you're being a bit ambitious ....

We used to have a 23' SC and that was even pushed to do the job even with its 2550 beam

In hind sight, if I were to head down that road again, I'd probably try for maximum rear deck space and a couple of camp stretchers or what ever perhaps and throw all the other bits in up front for the night ..... maybe a full camping cover situation over the rear deck ...

Good luck with it in any case, I think you will need it .......

Smithy
08-06-2010, 03:57 AM
When you are tired in a 5.2KC you will sleep no matter what, both long ways up along the tunnel or across the cabin bulkhead. The owner of the 5.2 I used to go out with has got to be 6'3" or so, taller than me anyway, and he could fit in there.

Flex
08-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Hi Flex .... I think you're being a bit ambitious ....

We used to have a 23' SC and that was even pushed to do the job even with its 2550 beam

In hind sight, if I were to head down that road again, I'd probably try for maximum rear deck space and a couple of camp stretchers or what ever perhaps and throw all the other bits in up front for the night ..... maybe a full camping cover situation over the rear deck ...

Good luck with it in any case, I think you will need it .......

Thanks mate,

A bigger cat is out of the question, as I tow 300km to water.
I realise the smaller cats wont be super comfy and I dont plan on spending a week there. but for 1-2 nights would be handy.

As long as you can stretch out fully i dont care how skinny the bed is.

Smithy,

On the KC how long are the bunks up along the tunnels? can you stretch out at 6foot tall?

kitty_cat
08-06-2010, 08:16 AM
i sleep 2-3 nights in my 5.2 kc a bit squishy but no problems they have a side cavity that your legs fit down , ui will get some picks or feel free to call me and drop in for a look (springwood brisvagas)
WAYNE

fly_1
08-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Mate, I am 6"3 and I have spent many a night in my old kcat 5.2m. You can sleep on the bunk, with your legs done the area next to the side bulkhead, or if your by yourself, I used to sleep across the bunks. Most of the time, we have one in the cabin, and the other on a swag in the back.
For what you have said you want, the little kcat will be fine. You just have to find a good one to buy???!!!) Mine sold in about 2 days recently, so be quick, as good ones are hard to come by !!!

Out_There
08-06-2010, 08:32 AM
I've got a 5.2KC cuddy cabin (black marlin), had it 8ish years and I've never once gone for a nap up the front. Just dosn't look remotely comfortable. Couldn't see you're missus doing it a second time. Good seaboat, but it won't do anything a haines 580 SF can't do, and it will burn way less fuel. Mooloolaba to the muds the SF will burn 90ltrs(115 4 stroke yam). Mine with 2x 2 stroke 90 yams burns 180 to 200 litres. Never been in a KC with 4 strokes, but sure it would be much better, but not 90 ltrs.

finding_time
08-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Flex

Mate i'm 6'3 and sleep in mine all the time, if i'm 1 up i just sleep across the cabin and that's very comfortable, 2 up i sleep on the port side and my legs go down the side of the boat, it's not as comfortable as across ways but it's still fine, we have slept 2 or evenn 3 up on plenty of occasions with no issue and do many 2 night trips in the boat! The best sleeping position if the weather is fine is to bring the cushions out onto the deck, you get a great sleep and your also away from most of the hull slap!

Ian

Flex
08-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Awesome thanks guys. Good to know I can sleep in it at a pinch. Few 5.2 that I did look at I neglected to take serious notice of the cabin room, so thats good news.

As I said Im not chasing a hardcore cruiser for super comfy beds surrounded in candles making love to the mrs(as good as it sounds..lol)
As long as there is room to stretch out for a few hours then thats all I need. I realise cats aren't as accommodating as mono's in the bunk department. But Im chasing first and foremost a offshore fishing boat and for me that means a cat.

Anyone seem the cab of a 5m Sharkcat? how does that compare? At this stage im comparing the 2 in terms of what i need in a boat