PDA

View Full Version : Long Tom Lures

Boomi Boy
07-06-2010, 08:46 PM
What lure have you had the most success with chasing freshwater Long Toms. I saw a few cruising in pairs on the surface in a dam I was fishing for sooties with spinner baits and lipless cranks. I have read they hit poppers but was wondering what minnow style lures people have had success with. I understand their mouths are very hard making hit/hook up rates fairly average. Any hints much appreciated. I would be letting them go,

cheers

tunaticer
07-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I've had most success with small streamer flies tied on a 1/0 hook.
Failing that it needs to be a small profile popper or plastic.
Long tom are best hooked right in the jaw hinge for any real success so small profiles they engulf work best.

MackerelMan
08-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Used to chase them as a kid. Never had much lusk with lures, used to get plenty of strikes but staying connected was difficult with their bony mouths. We had more success with live trumpeters on a small break away float. Agree with Tuna need to find that hinge. Not sure how small they go but I reckon little circles with a live trumpeter would be the go. They are worth the effort, great fun on light gear.

Bronson
09-06-2010, 12:09 PM
i caught a 65cm long tom the other week on a live 10cm poddy mullet. Unweighted free swimming on the surface good fight.

never caught one on a lure sorry?never really tried thou

bron

Boomi Boy
11-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Existing lures in my box I thought may be worth a toss

Tilsan Bass
Ecogear sx48
Jackal Chubby(deep)

There are a lot of banded grunter in the dam. The Long Toms I saw appeared to be a metre easy, is there a hardbody you would choose that I havn,t mentioned??

cheers

HeadBanger
11-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I've caught them in the fresh up around 80cm on live herring and I've gotten a few on poppers when chasing whiting. I'd definitely say poppers would be your best bet at catching one on a lure. I caught mine on a two different 'no brand' lures, one clear with a bit of blue around the head and another with a red head and white body.

They're easy to sight cast to, and the few that I caught jumped clear out of the water when hooked.

Cheers,
Kaidon