PDA

View Full Version : Stainless seat bases

Jono_SS
07-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey there.

Has anyone successfully put aftermarket seat basses in their fiberglass boat? The type that you can slot an eski under. If so, where from etc???

cheers

Jonathan.

peterbo3
07-06-2010, 08:39 PM
The plate alloy builders make them all the time. Some of them have slide out bases, others just fit the esky under the seat. Alloy will be cheaper than 316 SS but if you want SS give Rod Keats at Ark Marine a call. 38654107.

NTMID8
07-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Jono what about something like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fiberglass-boat-seat-boxes-made-order-Quote-Item-nu-/250638445272?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Boats&hash=item3a5b372ad8

I emailed him today as i am very seriously thinking about getting a pair for my boat, im only chasing plain eskys though, not interested in the live bait tank.

NTMID8
08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
For info these cost $2100 plus postage for the pair for the plain versions (well out of my price range for an esky!)

cormorant
08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Boat box - do a search - not cheap but lots of good ideas Stainless is too heavy

Edit - just seen the post below - not so heavy and not like what I was thinking with enclosed ones

Smithy
08-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Jono,

how about attacking it another way. For my Mclay platey I bought a second 130l Icey Tek esky to match the existing one in it when I bought it and through bolted my seats onto the lid. Keeping the eskies in place were occy straps onto 3" L section alloy that kept them from moving. The lids had dog clips on them to stop the lid opening when you were in big seas but the added bonus with the poly esky was it took a lot of the jarring out, a bit like my current poly rotomoulded seat boxes on the Stabi. Could be a cheaper option getting some of those EBay eskies of whatever size than stainless work or proper fibreglass ones.

tenzing
08-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Greens marine stainless yatala
$290 plus seat swivel

sid_fishes
08-06-2010, 05:46 PM
mate , if i could not do that for less u could bend me over and!!!

Jono_SS
09-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I think I'll be giving Greens Marine Stainless a call, 'cause Tenzing's setup is exactly what I had in mind.

rodneyk
09-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Hey sid fishes maybe you should open a workshop s/steel fabrication and see what it cost for rent and wages for good sheeties ::)

Jono_SS
09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Hey guys, excuse my ignorance, but what can I expect when I unscrew the pedestal seat? a bunch of small holes where the screws went in, plus a large hole in the middle? or just the screw holes? Also, should I seal these up with something?

peterbo3
09-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Jono,
If the seat base(s) was installed before the floor was glassed in, it should be attached to a backing plate by SS bolts & nuts. It could also have been done this way if there was some sort of inspection plate which allowed the installer to get a spanner onto the nuts. If it was done cheaply, it will be as you described...........screws.
The circular base should not need a hole, as the fixed post will be attached to it.