PDA

View Full Version : Sea Anchor - Best set up

whiteman
07-06-2010, 06:16 PM
The deckie has got me a sea anchor for our next reef trip - the canvas bit and 50m of anchor rope.

But I think I need more - like a float, maybe some chain and more lightweight rope to pull it in from the top.

Can anyone advise on the best set up. Don't want to spend a fortune but it's gotta work as we'll use it for bottom bashing on the drift.

frankgrimes
07-06-2010, 06:43 PM
No need for chain bud - you can use a trip line, but not really needed...toss it out with 10mm or 8mm rope and your good to go...no need to over complicate it.

What size boat?

Mick

Daisy Burnett
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Yep agreed no need for chains or anything fancy just throw the puppy over and let nature take it course. The only thing you might want to add would be a light line from the outside of the apex so you can pull it in easier.

Daisy

peterbo3
07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/peterbo3/DSCN2682MediumSmall.jpg

This is mine. As Mick said, trip line is optional although I have one. The ball float ties to small end & helps keep the chute afloat. Trip line goes to the small end also. Main line to the thimble at the end of the shrouds.
It is a good idea to knot the shroud lines twice before it goes into the storage bag. Prevents tangles. Undo them before you deploy it.
Your model may be different but they all work the same.

honda900
07-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I have exactly the same setup as pete,

the one addition I have on mine, is where the mainline connect to the thimble, I use a big stainless swivel, this has fixed a lot of twist problems, it also weighs the para anchor down so when you deploy it it imediately starts to fan out, works a treat.

Regards
Honda

whiteman
07-06-2010, 09:26 PM
No need for chain bud - you can use a trip line, but not really needed...toss it out with 10mm or 8mm rope and your good to go...no need to over complicate it.

What size boat?

Mick
5.3m Quinnie Cuddy.

What sort of rope are you guys using for the trip line? Some people talk about line that floats rather than something like a thinner version of the anchor rope. Bias was no help on this today.

bigjimg
07-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Go with nylon in 12-10mm as your chute line with 6mm as your retrieve line with ball float attached.The soft nylon handles better and is extremely limp and stows well.Make sure your retrieve,6mm,line is at least half as long again as your chute line which would be around the 12m or so in length.Better to have extra length than not enough.You can get them pre rigged or get them rigged to suit yourself.Jim