PDA

View Full Version : Jerry can caps with fuel line connectors and pickups

CT
07-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Has anyone ever seen a jerry can cap with a fuel pickup and connector so you can use the jerry like a tank?

I've seen one on a US site and know that people have made their own for 60L drums etc but was wondering if there was an off the shelf product in Aus.

Cheers
Craig

Kero
07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I've never seen one! Why would you bother anyway, just get a 25L plastic tank!;)

Blackened
07-06-2010, 03:46 PM
G'day

I haven't seen anything off the shelf but it's a great idea and would be very very easy to make up.

Dave

CT
07-06-2010, 05:16 PM
The problem is that
A) I'm a tight ass and already have piles of jerry cans and
B)cruise tanks are both expensive and a poor fit for every spot I've got to fit them!

I'd be happy to make them but I'm not sure about the worry of fumes etc with breathers and the potential to vaporise myself. I can't see how it would be any different to the cap for a portable tank but I thought I'd ask.

Cheers
Craig

cormorant
07-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Plastic jerry sceptor ones can use this. It is both a vent and stut off valve that fits their screw lid jerry It is plastic but has survived for a while with us. Not sure how it would go with sun damage but they make tanks so tehy must know

http://www.flo-n-go.com/products/product_maxflo/

Paul007
07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Please don't think I'm trying to be a smart alec.... It seems so obvious to me I'm wondering if I'm missing something..... but why do you need that sort of thing?
Why not just siphon the fuel from the jerry can into the main fuel tank?
Cheers,
Paul.

Marlin_Mike
07-06-2010, 07:14 PM
i would be worried about the insurance angle not being an approved fuel tank for the boat.

Mike

tunaticer
07-06-2010, 07:25 PM
CT, in my opinion, you would be better off getting a tank custom built for your specific application and avoiding jerry cans in boats. They are an accident waiting to happen. You might be surprised what you will pay for a custom tank over the price of a stainless cruise tank that doesn't fit well.

CT
07-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Don't get me wrong, I hate jerry cans with a passion. The hazards of lifting, dropping, spilling etc are all part of the reason that if I'm going to have them I'd prefer to just be able to clip on a line and be done.

The custom tank is a good option down the track. The boat has just been re-powered so I'd like to do a few trips with heaps of reserve fuel to get a good handle on usage before comitting to a tank. Its a stop gap measure I guess.

Haven't looked into the insurance thing other than the fact that they are an approved container and in terms of personal safety can't be any more dangerous to have in a boat than tote tanks.

Cheers
Craig

gr hilly
07-06-2010, 09:48 PM
i have seen the one you are talking about they are made in the states and have been for some 30 + yrs now i know this because in 19 68 we lived on a property owned by a bloke from Florida he bought some with him from the states with all his tools and stuff and he used them for everything i have a bobcat and would love a couple my self but you cant get them here and they are heavy duty.
hilly

39NESP
08-06-2010, 06:08 AM
yes craig they do make them i think they are a army issue
i got mine from jimboomba markets.i am down at balina for 2 weeks fishing post a photo when i get home
cheers snap

cormorant
08-06-2010, 01:42 PM
If you want one for metal jerry just ask these guys to do it without the air pressure release and fill fiting just the breather fitting. Aussie made . Quick adjustment down to 8mm pipe and a marine drybreak fitting and away you go.

We used to use one for the genset straight from jerry cans as we didn't want fuel left in the genset.

They do it for plastics as well

http://www.tanamipump.com.au/video.htm

There is also a bloke flogging them on eprey look for jerry can pump they used to be $60 but seem to have gone up a lot. Direct for cash would have to be cheaper

No filter gause so with the crud from inside a jerry make sure it runs throgh a filter as usual

From a safety and legal view in case it ever became a insurance issue I am not dure a jetty with a tanami cap on it would meet the standards for marine fuel tank??

Might want to underfill the jerrys a bit as thereis no way a breather unless it has some height or a loop witll not leak a bit.

With steel pickup on a steel jerry you would want to earth against each other so there isn't a static spark and same for some plastics . If you had one for each jerry it would be safer.

ssab1
08-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Please don't think I'm trying to be a smart alec.... It seems so obvious to me I'm wondering if I'm missing something..... but why do you need that sort of thing?
Why not just siphon the fuel from the jerry can into the main fuel tank?
Cheers,
Paul.
bloody dangerous in a tossing sea, fuel over the deck and motor ready to start, no thanks.cheers alex

Fatenhappy
08-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Has anyone ever seen a jerry can cap with a fuel pickup and connector so you can use the jerry like a tank?

I've seen one on a US site and know that people have made their own for 60L drums etc but was wondering if there was an off the shelf product in Aus.

Cheers
Craig

There was one around quite a few years ago, but if I remember rightly there were quite a few issues with venting and fumes .... :-?

39NESP
28-06-2010, 07:33 AM
this is the one i have cheers snap

cormorant
28-06-2010, 11:26 AM
How does that one breathe? Does it have aone way check valve set up on the breather?

Paul007
28-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I thought that long pipe would be the breather. When the can is inverted the end of that pipe would be above the fuel.the fuel would flow run directly into that spout not down that long tube.

cormorant
28-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Nah that is the feed , pick up tube as the jerry is upright.

No way I would have upside down jerry cans in a boat.

Paul007
28-06-2010, 05:57 PM
I've never seen these things before, but I assumed that it was something that you fitted to the can only as you were about to pour.... sort of like an enclosed funnel.

White Pointer
28-06-2010, 07:49 PM
G'day,

Gerry cans sold in Australia are sealed storage vessels. The Australian Standard that they are made to applies to the material used, welding, locking cap and secondary lock.

You can't turn it into a fuel tank without breaching the standard. If you breach the standard your insurer will disown you.

You can't draw fuel from it (as a tank) without replacing it with air. That means a breather. I would be very concerned about fuel fumes from a heap of gerry cans on board. Its not just the fire and explosion risk. Fuel sniffing is really dangerous.

If you must carry gerry cans make sure they are in good condition and use them to re-supply the main tank. Get a gerry tank cap made up that can be fitted over the pourer that has a pouring tube. Attach a hose that is about the same size as the filler neck of your fuel tank. To the other end of that attach a screw fitting that is the same size as the bung at the fuel tank filler.

This should enable you to re-fuel from a gerry can without spillage and minimising fumes. It will be slow because air has to come from the fuel tank to displace the fuel. It also means that the air coming back into the gerry can is rich with fumes and more dangerous.

Regards,

White Pointer

cormorant
29-06-2010, 11:28 AM
The sceptor cans used to meet both standards. Not sure if they still do.