PDA

View Full Version : new lathe motor

RFARREN
05-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Well i the old sewing machine motor finally gave up the ghost so i went looking for a higher torque electric motor with a low enough current draw to use a foot pedal.
It had to be variable speed so i could make it from spin from about 20 rpm right up to whatever it would do flat out.
Well i got talking to a guy who fixes old washing machines and dryers and he said he might have small engine that would work.
So i gave him an old foot pedal to test current draw and told him the shaft had to be 1/4 inch diameter.
He had to pull it apart and machine down the shaft on his lathe, but the end result is perfect!
Heaps of torque and it spins at about 15000 - 20000 rpm flat out and it is variable speed as well.
I think he said it was off an old clothes dryer
I am not sure what the hp is but it burns my hand and it turns down cork and eva with ease.
cheers
Ron

Owen
06-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Looks like it'll have a ton of guts!

I have an old MIG welder drive motor and control board I am going to use one day.

RFARREN
06-06-2010, 03:04 PM
yer it does mate , it burns my hand when i try to stop it
But it is as light to wind backwards as the sewing machine

Stuart
20-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Great if you want to wrap 20mm anchor rope. If you get caught up in that you may loose your arm mate.

Stu

trueblue
21-06-2010, 01:31 PM
looks a bit dangerous.........

RFARREN
21-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Great if you want to wrap 20mm anchor rope. If you get caught up in that you may loose your arm mate.

Stu
it is not that strong lol
;D
But it is really good to sand cork/eva without the pissweak sewing machine motor dying
It is the perfect balance of torque and speed for a rod lathe imo