PDA

View Full Version : glow in the dark lures

brisbane_boy
02-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Hey guys, always keen to try something new one of my fishn mates dan, danners off here has been busy coming up with new things to try with his home made lures.

The idea of making them glow in the dark sounded pretty good and with a bit of trial and error the rubber now is pearl glow, in the dark after being placed under light itll show up a bright blue, will be very intersting to see how the jew and threadfin or snapper take to these.

we already have had some success on the non glow models he makes, any feedback on the idea or if anyones tried similar be interested to know, put a pic of one of them in daylight to show the pearl colour, which is blue after the charge.

going to have a trip in the next couple of nights, itll be easy to see where the lures going hopefully, just like playing night golf.

these lures are made in limited quantities and not available in any shops, dan makes enuf to keep a handful of keen anglers well stocked at this stage. they take quiet a deal of time to make and only the best materials are used, the finish is slightly rougher than machine made but adds to the character.

nickstock
02-06-2010, 07:46 PM
I like the look of those mate!

I would love you give those a shot in our northern waters!

They would be deadly on Large Mouth Nannygai on the wrecks up here.

Keep us posted on your results Brisbane Boy

Cheers,

Nick Stock

brisbane_boy
02-06-2010, 08:00 PM
No worries Nick, pm a postal through and ill grab a few spares for ya, you should be able to fish 15kg tackle no probs with them, the wires 60kg inside them.

Pistol_P
02-06-2010, 08:35 PM
They look pretty awesome BB.....

Jew would climb all over them.....will give it a try on the new moon.

Pete

matt fraser
02-06-2010, 09:52 PM
I've tried lumo lures and full lumo jigheads on bass in the past with poor results. Lumo eyes work well though.

A lot of flathead experts are big fans on lumo heads and lumo (glo) gulps. They use them particularly in deep water during the day.

You guys are obviously fans of white lures at night, it will be interesting to hear how the lumo ones go.

Cheers,

Matt

Pridey
02-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Mate I cant wait to hear your results. A mate and I have been tackling this Idea for a while now, just been too lazy, great you guys arent so !

brisbane_boy
02-06-2010, 11:24 PM
We had some ripper seshes daytime in deepwater on perlies and snaps last yr using the gulps in the glow colours but never got around to seeing if they did much glowing and some of the trolling skirts get talked up for there glow properties and they do glow. it interests me on the barra salmon and jew they have those eyes that shine red in the torch, will try em side by side some others and see what happens.

2manylures
02-06-2010, 11:25 PM
I've collected & fished Lumo Lures for years and although I love them, they're a crock of shit.

I've got doubles of nearly all my lures & have swam Arbogast mud bugs, jitterbugs, Heddon crazy crawlers [& many others], Bomber B-15's, Smithwick Rogues, Bill Lewis rattle traps, Crippled Killers, Kalin, Tiemco, L&S, Luhr Jensen J-Plugs along with quite a few other hard & soft lures both locally made & international.

You will catch fish on them eventually like you'll do-so with any lure but the "lumo thing" is just a gimic as far as I'm concerned.

They will work very effectively during the day as a "white lure" without a "charge" if this the original colour of the lure yet when you have multi coloured lures illuminating with camera flash, fluoro lights or whatever lights I really believe you are wasting hard earned dollars on rubbish.;D

vertico
03-06-2010, 12:27 AM
hey brissie boy those lumo lures look sh1t hot
probably works just as well as the lumo flys :P

nigelr
03-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Look great to me, lumo or not. Well done, keep up the innovation!

nickstock
03-06-2010, 08:19 AM
No worries Nick, pm a postal through and ill grab a few spares for ya, you should be able to fish 15kg tackle no probs with them, the wires 60kg inside them.

Thanks mate

P.O Box 434 Cooktown, QLD, 4895

Shoot me your bank details and I will send some cash down with photos of the results.

Cheers,
Nick Stock

danners
03-06-2010, 08:57 AM
as stated 2manylures I haven't tested them yet the pictured lure is one of a small batch. In terms of other properties it's the same as my regulars

of course it's impossible for any of us to give truly meaningful and scientifically sound comparisons between a glowing and non-glowing lure, identical in other regards, as there are far too many variables in fishing. I do think there is a very real possibility that a little light given off down deep will add an extra element at night, as when there is very little light a non-glowing lure relies on water displacement, scent etc alone. If you combine water displacement, scent plus the fish can actually see it maybe it's more likely to get a belt, who knows. nature is full of glowing things, squid cuttlefish etc so i'm willing to give it a shot ;D

anyway they're not relying on the glow in the dark factor to make a difference, they're far beyond the point of needing to prove themselves, so if it turns out to have no noticeable effect, nobody is really losing out lol

i'm hoping and am quietly confident that the snapps in particular around the river and bay will notice the difference :D

dayoo
03-06-2010, 01:56 PM
as stated 2manylures I haven't tested them yet the pictured lure is one of a small batch. In terms of other properties it's the same as my regulars

of course it's impossible for any of us to give truly meaningful and scientifically sound comparisons between a glowing and non-glowing lure, identical in other regards, as there are far too many variables in fishing. I do think there is a very real possibility that a little light given off down deep will add an extra element at night, as when there is very little light a non-glowing lure relies on water displacement, scent etc alone. If you combine water displacement, scent plus the fish can actually see it maybe it's more likely to get a belt, who knows. nature is full of glowing things, squid cuttlefish etc so i'm willing to give it a shot ;D

anyway they're not relying on the glow in the dark factor to make a difference, they're far beyond the point of needing to prove themselves, so if it turns out to have no noticeable effect, nobody is really losing out lol

i'm hoping and am quietly confident that the snapps in particular around the river and bay will notice the difference :D

Danners,

As you are most probably aware I have been making Glow in the dark jigheads for the past 4 months and have tested them out offshore in 70 metres with great success.
Two of us used standard non glow jigheads and the other two used super glow jigheads. The first 6 snapper were caught by the superglow jigheads and the two guys using non glow switched to the super glow.::)

The glow jigheads have been trialled on two charter boats and worked so well that I can't keep up the demand from those anglers who have witnessed for themselves how effective they are.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Barry

Pistol_P
03-06-2010, 02:14 PM
The glow in the dark sinkers are also very popular with those who use them.

Pete

LostNearBribie
03-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Proof is in the posts Dan. I'm sure there will be plenty of them!