PDA

View Full Version : Who is in a fishing club?

Matt76
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm curious to know what fishing clubs you guys are in if at all, and why/why not.

I have been scared off clubs of different types before because they generally have a way of attracting wankers. I'm keen to look into joining one and doing some trips if someone can suggest a good one.

I am on the northside of Brisbane at Bracken Ridge.

Cheers
Matt

Noelm
02-06-2010, 01:20 PM
haven't been in a fishing club for ages now, they are all the same (like most clubs I guess) there is a core of "doers" who work, run raffles, organise outings and so on, and get no recognition at all, then the usual commitees who like to run things their way only, and the members who just turn up to things and don't help in any way, and leave when the cleaning up is to be done, these members are also usually the ones who whinge about how bad the club/commitee/BBQ/fishing trip is, but do nothing about it, and then the hard core comp fisho, who fishes from start time to finish, just to make sure they win a trophy (or better still cash or prizes) and god help anyone new that might ask them something, because you will only get the cold shoulder from these "gun" fisherman, gee I wonder why I don't belong to a club anymore!

Matt76
02-06-2010, 02:39 PM
haven't been in a fishing club for ages now, they are all the same (like most clubs I guess) there is a core of "doers" who work, run raffles, organise outings and so on, and get no recognition at all, then the usual commitees who like to run things their way only, and the members who just turn up to things and don't help in any way, and leave when the cleaning up is to be done, these members are also usually the ones who whinge about how bad the club/commitee/BBQ/fishing trip is, but do nothing about it, and then the hard core comp fisho, who fishes from start time to finish, just to make sure they win a trophy (or better still cash or prizes) and god help anyone new that might ask them something, because you will only get the cold shoulder from these "gun" fisherman, gee I wonder why I don't belong to a club anymore!

Thanks mate, thats been my experience with clubs aswell.

onerabbit
02-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Thank you NoelM,

you put it so much better than I could......I FULLY agree

beware the wonker factor.

Muzz

Edited because origional word was not suitable

Noelm
02-06-2010, 02:59 PM
mind you, I don't think ALL fishing clubs are like that, there must be some that are fun and family/members oriented, but I have yet to find one, a lot start out good, then slowly slide downhill over time, Gamefishing clubs tend to think they are elite and way above "normal" fisherman and clubs and look down their noses at anyone that has not got a 45' Gameboat, let alone someone who fishes with bait and a sinker. So, unless you do a lot of leg work and can find a decent club, join up with your eyes wide open.

snodger 08
02-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Then there is always Ausfish meet & greets

gr hilly
02-06-2010, 06:18 PM
the best fishing club is in my boat with family or my best mate.

hilly

geeb
02-06-2010, 07:47 PM
My favourite fishing club is the one I use to clobber pelagics into a sense of peaceful fishy oblivion

theoldlegend
03-06-2010, 05:48 AM
A few years back I made some enquiries "on the side" about joining a club.

Well, the response was not helpful at all!

It was as if I was trying to get into something where I wasn't wanted.

Didn't try any more after that.

TOL

finga
03-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Then there is always Ausfish meet & greets
There is that.
And the river to mud is coming up where it's all fun and games and last year a lucky punter (Nico the lucky b@stard) won 2 trophies and a graphite breambo rod for catching a 26cm bream.

bugman
03-06-2010, 08:47 AM
I used to be a member of the Sunshine Coast Game Fishing Club.

When I joined I owned a trailer boat. I found them fantastic in helping me learn the trade of game fishing. I'd be guessing but I reckon half the club would be trailer boat fisherman. And this year's champion boat trophy will be going to a trailer boat by the looks of it.

When I bought a bigger boat there was plenty of help from other guys with the same boat or similar experiences.

They run some great comps with great prizes and also have a real focus on family stuff.

I've witnessed "fish kills" from other clubs in the past (non game fishing clubs) where points come from more dead fish. Thankfully a lot of that mentality has gone.

I'm a bit far away now to be a member of the SCGFC but I'll definitely join again when I've got time and access.

Brett

trueblue
03-06-2010, 09:08 AM
I stayed away from a fishing club for a long time for some of the reasons stated above.

but wanting to get seriously into gamefishing I needed to join one to learn more so I sat on the fence for quite a while and watched and listened to feedback from various clubs and their members.

I recently chose to join the SCGFC and can only praise the openness and genuine assistance offered by members, especially as a small trailer boat owner and being new to gamefishing.

I wish I had joined a club earlier, but as mentioned there are some clubs that have a real <negative> clique and I didn't want any part of that and needed to find the right club for me

cheers

Mick

Noelm
03-06-2010, 09:12 AM
yep, I would reckon there is a few that are good, been in clubs, been a foundation member of a couple as well (gamefishing and sportsfishing) and most and I repeat MOST are not too friendly, unless you are "in" with the right circle, this is especially so for new members, it is hard to just turn up to a new club and be a nobody, some people will introduce themselves and show you around, but a lot wont. personally from a club, I like a family atmosphere, with comps to suit all ages, from little kids to old timers, I dont mind the hard core fisho who lives and breathes fishing (been there and done that) but I don't particularly like the guru who has to tell evryone how good he is, how many fish he has caught, how many trophies he won at the last comp (unless it is in light hearted humour of course)

Chopper Taylor
03-06-2010, 04:43 PM
A fishing club is no different to any other club you might join.

The points noted in the tread above are true for all clubs.

1. The majority of members do nothing and expect others to provide
2. Loud mouth know it alls give you the shits
3. A few people manipulating the set-up to try and get some trophies
4. and lastly a group of decent folk out to enjoy themselves.

If you can manage to find a club with a few of the last group - go for it. If the club is full of the first few groups - move on.

I'm not tolerant enough to ignore the people in the first few groups, so I haven't joined a club.

culbara
06-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Mate i am a member on the sunshie coast sport fishing club which meets every second thursay of the month It is a family based club so anyy that come away that were obnoxious when away would get the short shift as we like women and kids to come camping
They are a great bunch of blokes in it and women and there is a lot ok knowledge in the club and the peoopel that know are very forthcoming at sharing their knowledge
Famile to join is 90dollars a year and you get free bbrq every month and club pays your camping fees when you go away and we fish not just sit and drimk tillyou fall down
If interested pm please

BigBadJohn
14-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Clubs, well i guess we get the good and the bad in all clubs as i have been through this sort of stuff in other sports i have been involved with. But i have joined our local Gleneleg River Angling Club down here in the South East of SA as we are on the border of Vic and i love this club. Caters for all and great bunch of people and look after our young fishers and have a comp every 2 week at a cost of $2 a comp if you choose to fish the day or the night comp is great. Always someone willing to help you out with setups with rods etc.. as i gather in the past a lot of these people wont tell you jack in a lot of clubs and wonder why they loose members.

We also have a good social outings and camping away from fishing and kids are always looked after, and well i think it is hard to find a good club but i am very happy with the one i am in.

Cheers
John

jeffo
22-06-2010, 07:56 PM
mind you, I don't think ALL fishing clubs are like that, there must be some that are fun and family/members oriented, but I have yet to find one, a lot start out good, then slowly slide downhill over time, Gamefishing clubs tend to think they are elite and way above "normal" fisherman and clubs and look down their noses at anyone that has not got a 45' Gameboat, let alone someone who fishes with bait and a sinker. So, unless you do a lot of leg work and can find a decent club, join up with your eyes wide open.

Is this an assumption or have you been involved with a few game fishing clubs? In this day and age the large majority of us cant afford diesel for a big boat let alone the boat itself! With boats, electronics, safety gear and engines becoming far more reliable gamefishing is open to any one who has a boat big enough to catch a snapper...especially in SEQ.

Aside from chasing biggergame fish I think you will find most of the keen anglers in gamefishing clubs will chase a huge variety of fish.

NAGG
23-06-2010, 05:26 AM
When it comes to choosing a fishing club ..... my suggestion is to find one that suits your style of fishing. ... It sounds obvious.. but its not ! eg : game fishing clubs) ..... some cater more for big boats & less so trailer boats
If you like competition as a small boat owner / rock fisherman / other ....... Then an affiliated ANSA (Australian National Sportsfishing Association) one is a good choice.
If you are more a social / family fishoe - there are clubs that cater for that style too - Pubs / Clubs often have their own fishing clubs
Sometimes the best club for you wont be the local one though.

Its really a case of working out what you want out of being in a fishing club..... & what suits you best.

Finally - I have to agree with Noelm's initial comments ..... I certainly found the same . :(

Chris