PDA

View Full Version : fuelling up drama

BUCA T
01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
hey fellas, was wondering if anyone else has this problem and how to sort it? i have a 6 month old yaltacraft fisherman 2000 and at stages when refueling especially the last 50l it seems to get an air lock or something and fuel will come out of the breathers unless i stop and start and fuel it up at a painfully slow rate, how do i sort this problem.

any info will be sweet.

cheers buca t

SnowE
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Buca T,

Not sure of the set up you have on your Yalta but my boat had the breather lines (2x breathers one at the front of the tank and one at the rear) both coming off the tanks and then going down into the bilge before then rising up to the actual breather outlet. This caused fuel to sit in the lines and blow back (fuel spitting out of either or both breathers) was an issue along with a need to fill it real slow. I tied up the breather lines so that they did not sit lower than the off take from the tank, and coiled them a bit (to save me actually having to cut and then re-connect them to the tank or at the breather end. This fixed my problem.

Cheers,
SnowE

MINE09
01-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Hi Buca T,

I have the same problem, one word to fix it "patience". It can be really slow to fill at times and other times it seems ok, i just figure that sometimes somethings arent meant to be worked out! lol

Si
01-06-2010, 09:05 PM
i have had the same issue with my fuel tank and vent. thanks for the info guys.

honda900
01-06-2010, 09:15 PM
BucaT,

My yalta is the same, patience is the key, slight down hill servo works best, when you hear the breathers start to whistle, back off the fuel for 30 seconds or so, let it settle, then slowly.

or when it starts to whilstle and gurgle, for me, means I have about 20ltrs to go; so take a gerry can with you fill it up, drive home and use a syphon hose to do the last bit.

Regards
Honda.

DALEPRICE
01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
as the other guys have said, you have to go slow. I do the same as honda
and fill with a syphon hose for the last 40. It has to do with the filler been
down at the rear of the tank and if the nose of the boat is a little bit higher
than the rear it doesnt wanna fill up easy. other option is to take the car off the towbar at the servo and wind the nose all the way down on the jockey wheel. Dont forget to reconnect. im afraid its a bit of a issue with the yalta.
cheers dale hope this makes sense

The-easyrider
01-06-2010, 09:48 PM
I had the same problem with my stacer( realy slow to fill not fuel coming coming out the breather)turned out that the breather hose had been flattened when the floor was fitted and also had a low spot that would hold fuel like SnowE's even after fixing those problems you were best to only fill at about 2/3s speed or it would spit back out of the filler

wrxhoon
01-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Most Aussie built trailer boats have the same problem. The breather hose is next to the filler hose , the tanks are usualy long and not very high so when you fill up the last 20-25% the fuel escapes from the breather hose.
I have a USA built boat and the tank has a hump where the breather hose is and thats were the filler hose goes too. the hump is about 150x150x150 mm and its part of the tank moulding ( plastic 326 lt tank) .
I can fill the tank at full pressure and the only time fuel will come out of the breather is when she is full , you can only put in anothe 2-3 ltrs after that but I never bother.
I know this is not going to help you but what may help you is this: Locate the breather hose and if its at the rearmost of you tank you find a servo that doesn't have level ground, the more the gradient the better and you position your boat downhill, if the breather is at the front the drive uphill. By doing this it will help because when the fuel gets to the breather the tank will be almost full.
If the breather is in the middle of youir tank , well you fill up very slowly....

Noelm
02-06-2010, 09:32 AM
the probelm arises when fuel tanks are not fitted properly, the breathers are too small, or located in a "convenient" location rather than one the works as it should, loops and so on in breather hoses are very common, the theory being to trap any water than may get in, but in practice they just fill up and no longer are breathers, just traps.

MikeyS
02-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I have exactly the same problem with my Signature.

What works for me is to use either a strainer funnel or a flexible fuel can spout and insert that into the filler, preferably so it is lower than the internal breather down the filler tube. It slows the rate of fuel entering the filler but nowhere near as much as what is needed if you stick the pump nozzle straight in. The other thing is that it creates a much smaller column of fuel going into the tank. Dunno about the Yalta, but witht he Signature half the problem is that fuel goes down the internal breather as well as down the main pipe. This creates an airlock.

The funnel also reduces the aeration of fuel going into the tank which the tank can't "burp" out. The foamy stuff tends to block up the external breather, although sometimes it does work up a beltch which is half fuel and half air.

Briannes
02-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi Buca t, I have a Yalta 535 and had the same prob, raised the breather hose to stop the fuel sitting in the loop, all ok now fills up to top.

BUCA T
02-06-2010, 05:57 PM
cheers for your info fellas much appretiatted.

buca t

Pridey
02-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Friend had similar problems in the past, however his towball was higher than it should have been for the trailer, once it was all leveled out, it was nowhere near as bad.

Scalem
02-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Yep, it's unanamous, same problem here with my triple 5, same as yours I beleive but last years' model.

Once you get used to your fuel economy as I have, I know how much fuel it will take to fill it within 10 to 20 litres, judging from what it says on the electronic guage that comes with Yamaha 4s( not to be relied on 100%) and how many hours you did since the last time you fueled up.

For me, from half full on the guage is about 50 to 60 litres maximum to fill it and that will get me to PNG ( yeah maybe a small exaggeration) and back with the 115 4s Yammy, there is really no need to put that much in it. Barwon Banks and back, drifting and relocating 20 times while never anchoring + another smaller trip around Mooloolaba gneerings took 65 litres. If you really need to know she is full, stick your ear close and listen to the whistle if you think you are close to full, and back off the trigger of the pump to a slow trickle.

Scalem

ZigZag
03-06-2010, 10:49 PM
I Have the same problem fueling my Signature 500. The answer and its the only one I have been able to find is to make sure the breather hoses are 'short' enough as to not hold any fuel and also make sure that there is no chance of fuel lying in the main filler inlet. I put some packing under my main filler inlet to keep it as level as possible. ( A chat to Haines Signature solicited the comment that they were looking to putting a 'saddle' in the bottom of the boat for the main filler inlet to lie in. ) To refuel the boat I use a jerry can then only after putting the boat out on the street facing down hill. ( I seldom use more fuel than a can full on each trip ).
Haines said the problem stems from the design of the fuel tank..its too shallow resulting in the filler inlet being almost full before the tank is.

Anyway ... like all little problems in life we search and sometimes find a solutin that we are happy with and then we get on with the job. Best of luck in finding your solution.