PDA

View Full Version : New TABS Run in

Daisy Burnett
31-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Guys
A few people asked for the results of the first trial of the new 5.7 Tabs. Well it took a while to finally get the time to get her on the water but the wait was definately worth it. She cuts her way through water beautfully and 115 Optimax has plenty of power to push along at a respectable 70kph. She would have wound out to a bit more but by the time I got to open her up a bit the chop was starting to pick up so I did not push too hard. To give an honest as I can opinion, the boat handled well but I definately noticed the change from fibre glass to plate ally, there was a bit of banging and at one stage I was searching for a rattle that turned out to be wavelets under the hull. Not to much to worry about and after a few hours of running in the noise difference started to fade a bit. I must agree with others that have stated that with the 2.4M beam on a 5.7 boat a following sea lets you know that you did not waste your money buying the Trim Tabs. As for the trim tabs I have never had them on boat before but I will never have another boat without them. I fitted the 350mm QL's and they are everthing others stated, responsive, easy to use and made for a very comfortable ride. The 115 Opti as you would expect on the running in period did not miss a beat and was extremly responsive with heaps of power to push the hull along. Being a two stroke it still has a fairly high noise signature at revs (not too bad) but she does idle very quietly and at trolling speed the noise level is very comfortable. Power steering is also a new advent for me and once again very well worth the extra expense.
A few little niggles to be sorted out are the switch for the power anchor winch has been wired backwards, (could nearly have pulled the bloody bow roller off), both radio's require suppressors to get rid of excess noise and and nastly little leak in the deck wash pump tends to a bit of water into the side pocket. All of the above will be sorted out by the dealer when I take it back for the first service. wether they know it or not.
All up I am extremly happy with the purchase and look forward to next trip out when I can stop driving around in circles running in the motor and get some fish blood on the deck. I hope the guys who asked for the report are happy with this. If not send me a question and I will do my best to answer it.;D ;D

bigjimg
31-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Thats great,there is always going to be small teething problems but once you sort them out you will then think of more to satisfy yourself that you got what you want.Have a good read through you Merc owners manual and locate all your fuses and carry spares.Check out what should be replaced at your 20hr service and go over it with your dealer so he knows how you roll.You might be surprised what gets replaced.Make sure your batteries are correct rating as well Optis like high cranking power.Happy you finally got her wet,look forward to the cracking of the cherry.Jim

Daisy Burnett
01-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Jim
Thanks for that I will give the manual a good read and make sure I know what to expect.
Cheers
Daisy

Rhinoc
02-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the report,

Can I ask a silly clarifying question - in regards to the QL Trim Tabs. Having never owned any trim tabs before I am definitely getting them on the next boat which I'm currently in the process of researching. I understand the basic principals i.e the ability to correct boat lateral levels due to uneven loads etc and the ability to fine tune your bow trim whilst leaving the motor trimmed higher, what other areas of use do the trim tabs have. You mentioned their use in a following sea, what exactly are they doing in this regard. In my current rig I've never really had any issues in a following sea so I'm not sure what difference they would make.

Kind regards,

Rhino...

P.S. Please keep us informed as your bonding continues between you and your new rig.

Jarrah Jack
02-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey Daisy

Thanks for that refreshing report, you certainly got some good speed out of her. Was your misses on board? Did you watch the latest episode of AB with the 100kg Blue Fin on the first trip in the new boat? Beautiful fish, wouldn't look bad on the deck of a Tabs either.

cormorant
02-06-2010, 11:57 AM
You shouldn't need supressors. Have the wiring checked and acessories earth connection to battery and bus bars . Is it a dual battery set up with house , start VSR etc ? Prove where the noise is comng from by switching battery switch and with , without motor on , sounder on and off, to make sure it is not a mounting problem with interference between cables all layed in the same duct like a trandcuer cable or the ignition harness possibly damaged on installation.. A mobile phone was causing our issue as we always placed it near teh radio- took us a while to work that one out.

Great to read a good news story about a new boat and happy owner. Had a giggle about the anchor switch - really wonder if they test anything before it leaves the yard

Vitamin Sea
02-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the report,

Can I ask a silly clarifying question - in regards to the QL Trim Tabs. Having never owned any trim tabs before I am definitely getting them on the next boat which I'm currently in the process of researching. I understand the basic principals i.e the ability to correct boat lateral levels due to uneven loads etc and the ability to fine tune your bow trim whilst leaving the motor trimmed higher, what other areas of use do the trim tabs have. You mentioned their use in a following sea, what exactly are they doing in this regard. In my current rig I've never really had any issues in a following sea so I'm not sure what difference they would make.

Kind regards,

Rhino...

P.S. Please keep us informed as your bonding continues between you and your new rig.

Hi

Congrats on the new boat, hope it serves you well. As per above comment I'm a bit perplexed with regard to the use of the QL's in a following sea, as you want bow up, not down.

Into a sea tabs will make all the difference to the boat.

Good luck

VS

Daisy Burnett
02-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi

Congrats on the new boat, hope it serves you well. As per above comment I'm a bit perplexed with regard to the use of the QL's in a following sea, as you want bow up, not down.

Into a sea tabs will make all the difference to the boat.

Good luck

VS

Rhino/VS
To try and answer both your queries at the same time. Whilst I was carrying out the run in for the new donk I was having a bit of a play with everything as is to be expected and the sea's picked up a little so I thought I would try staying on the back of the wave in front for a bit of practise. I slipped off a couple of times trying to get the power right and the following wave would give me a bit of shunt from the stern starboard side pushing me off line (I was angling across the swell a bit). After little while I tried lowering the port side trim tab (thus pushing the starbaord down) a touch. After a little playing I found that by doing this at the right time and reversing the process when the wave behind was no longer an issue, that I had more control and din't get pushed off line as badly. I dont know if it would be the same with a bigger wave but the ones I was in (about .5m) it helped quite bit.
I dont know maybe I was doing the wrong thing and it felt like it was working but it is something I will be continueing the experiment with.
Has anyone else had this type of experience using their trim tabs???

As for the question was the wife with me, DEFINATELY, I hate going out without my best mate. She had good long drive and loves the boat as much as me. Mind you her knuckles were starting go white on the Jesus bar when we picked up the speed in a chop.

Cheers
Daisy8-)

Rhinoc
02-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully looking forward to experimenting with a set of my own QL's in the coming months.

Rhino...