PDA

View Full Version : boating expo townsville

yknot.com
31-05-2010, 08:22 PM
what do you think of the show as I was a little dissapointed

mikeyh
01-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Lame :( ...mind you pretty hard to be enthused after you come back from Sanctuary Cove the week before.
Pretty limited range of boats and most manufacturers didnt even provide a platform for you to look inside the boats....mind you not much there is really my thing.
For me it was an outing for my family...and that was great:)

yknot.com
02-06-2010, 08:03 AM
same feeling here it:s really a family day they have to do something about getting bigger range of boats if they are going to attract more people. I spoke to heaps of mates who said that they would not give up a day on the water again unless there was a bit of new stuff to see . They had a add going saying 100s of boats I could not find that many shame that its the only show in the north it should be bigger ; sombody said that they only let the same dealers in every year.

Scott nthQld
02-06-2010, 10:53 AM
yep only local dealers are let in to display their range of boats. Didn't bother with it this year, usually pretty piss poor with the displays they have, and the 'info' presenetations they have rarely change from year to year

yknot.com
03-06-2010, 07:45 AM
whys that scott? pretty narrow minded to have limmited displays if you want people in the door and no people no show.

Scott nthQld
03-06-2010, 10:19 AM
dunno why they only let local dealers in. Maybe becasue its run by the Townsville Sportfishing club and its part of some sponsorship deal?? Who knows, it would be for some petty reason though

Steeler
03-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I know in the industry i was in when it come to dealers and the brands they carry it comes down to the geographical catchment area they are provided with.In essence manufactures like to avoid having there brand represented at the same show and seeing dealers fight over orders based on pricing offered and avoid the situation where the brand and its pricing is being prostituted.

Dealers spend a fortune on particular stock and expect some protection of there catchment area by the manufacturer.

Steeler

Scott nthQld
03-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Steeler, all of our local dealers are exclusive to the manufacturer's ie, the dealers do not overlap in brands sold, one odes quitrex, signature, seafarer, another does haines hunter, another with polycraft, stacer, seajay etc.

However there are other dealers close by to Townsville, who do sell those brands, but also deal with others the Townsville dealers don't, for Example the tinnie shack from Mission Beach, they sell, AMM, Formosa, Razerline, and Viper as well now I think, so no overlap there.

Besides a bit of competition would be more than welcome, because Townsville only has one dealer for each brand, they charge through the roof and do not budge on pricing, nearly impossible to get a good deal on a boat or outboard here without having to travel 4-500km to find their nearest competition, almost as bad with cars, but that's another story.

levinge
03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Totally agree with you Scott, until the organisers of the Expo allow open trade from ALL other Brand dealers in NQ and FNQ into the Expo, it won't be the place to get a good deal on a boat.

It's funny you mention TS they put up a stall at the Townsville Show every year (because they are not invited to the Expo) and they spend a week down here doing tests etc. I am sure they still out do most of the dealers here in sales, just by that week alone...

Yearly most of the stalls are exactly the same as the previous year, product may change slightly but very rarely will you find a high end product at a really good price. Mid range gear with markup to cover cost...

I preferred to go fishing and spend my entry fee on bait..

whiteman
03-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Used to be overpriced at a gold coin donation when it was at the pub - it would take 15 minutes to cruise the stands. Now they want $8. No thanks. Just as easy to go to each dealer during the week when it's quiet. Besides that was a very good fishing weekend.

RFARREN
03-06-2010, 06:54 PM
I agree guys.I went last year,i did not go this year.Why should i pay to go shopping,i bet if stockland charged people to walk in the door it would be empty.

Pridey
03-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I went once a few years ago. Definately not worth it. Totally agree with all your points scott. (never buy a boat or car in TSV. ) Head to the Cane and buy a new second hand one :P

levinge
03-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if someone from the Organising Committee read this thread, might be food for thought at their next meeting...

whiteman
04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if someone from the Organising Committee read this thread, might be food for thought at their next meeting...
Maybe some of them are ... http://www.townsvillesportfishing.org/excommittiee.php

xxxx4ever
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
it was all the same as the last 2 years.
couldn't even get a list of exhibitors on the website prior to the event
very disappointing

levinge
04-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Just had a look at their site....

Interesting that their promotion of the event equals the comments above.

They should sack their web designer.

Not a good way to get people through the door

Website links!!!!

Floor Plan - Coming Soon - oops too late

Exhibitors List - Coming Soon - oops too late

Event Schedules - Coming Soon - oops too late

Bring on Expo 2011 - I'll be going fishing again!!!

STUIE63
05-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Well I went and thought it was a good show the money to get in was not too expensive there was a very good amount of boats at the show .
I don't think this thread is representive of the fishing public in Townsville and surrounds as there was big crowds when I went .
As for the TS they sell honda motors don't they this would be the thing that stopped them coming to the show
Stuie

Dicko
07-06-2010, 01:31 PM
In their defence, they're all volunteers from the fishing club, not a professional events and marketing company.

Maybe they could do with some new members to help out with organising and new ideas.

rooboy98
07-06-2010, 09:11 PM
In their defence, they're all volunteers from the fishing club, not a professional events and marketing company.

Maybe they could do with some new members to help out with organising and new ideas.

Agree with that 100%, Dicko.

Sure, alot of the stuff was the same as in previous years but I reckon that goes for alot of these types of Exhibitions that are held anywhere. I remember thinking the same thing after going to the Tinny and Tackle in Brisbane for a few years in a row. I suppose there is only so much different stuff that they can all display each year.

I think it's probably a little unreasonable to expect heaps of high end gear to be displayed. Sure, the avid mad keen fishos (myself included) would prefer it, but I don't know if we are really the majority out there on the day. Alot of the fishing gear does seemed to be aimed at the cheaper end of the market (majority of the market perhaps?) and thats what I would assume the average Dad, mum and the kids, who are just out there for a day out, would probably want to purchase anyway.

Yeah, perhaps the pricing of tackle etc could have been better but once again I think back to the other fishing Expos I've been to. IMO pretty much the same.

Even though I'm not currently in the market for another boat, I appreciate the chance to look over all of my "next" boats, when they are all side by side out on display. It's a more relaxed environment out there, than in a dealership.

Admission was what $6 or $8 each for an adult? IMO thats pretty reasonable, at least they don't sting you extra for parking your car up here!

Cheers, Roo.

levinge
07-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Don't get me wrong I think the Expo is a good idea

I just hope they do review their setup after each one and have a plan of improvement in place.

I'd hate to see it die, but if it doesn't have a constant improvement I fear numbers will slowly go away ( I hope I'm wrong)...

gammo42
08-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Great to see some comments. I will forward to the committee. May benefit everyone!

Does anyone have any positive suggestions? Ideas of how to get around the Dealers - who pay for their site - not wanting competition from out of town at the same show?

Also, lets have quick look at the entry fee. It got each person a ticket into a chance to win a $5000+ dollar fishing trip to the NT for 2. You pay $2 a ticket for the meat tray at your local pub???????

Would love to hear positive input....

Gammo

Steeler
08-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Agree with that 100%, Dicko.

Sure, alot of the stuff was the same as in previous years but I reckon that goes for alot of these types of Exhibitions that are held anywhere. I remember thinking the same thing after going to the Tinny and Tackle in Brisbane for a few years in a row. I suppose there is only so much different stuff that they can all display each year.

I think it's probably a little unreasonable to expect heaps of high end gear to be displayed. Sure, the avid mad keen fishos (myself included) would prefer it, but I don't know if we are really the majority out there on the day. Alot of the fishing gear does seemed to be aimed at the cheaper end of the market (majority of the market perhaps?) and thats what I would assume the average Dad, mum and the kids, who are just out there for a day out, would probably want to purchase anyway.

Yeah, perhaps the pricing of tackle etc could have been better but once again I think back to the other fishing Expos I've been to. IMO pretty much the same.

Even though I'm not currently in the market for another boat, I appreciate the chance to look over all of my "next" boats, when they are all side by side out on display. It's a more relaxed environment out there, than in a dealership.

Admission was what $6 or $8 each for an adult? IMO thats pretty reasonable, at least they don't sting you extra for parking your car up here!

Cheers, Roo.

I agree Roo, i have found just over the last few years that dealers/re-sellers are not that enthusiastic about trade shows and field days.All the costs involved inc site costs,transporting stock to the site,additional staff to man both the show site and back at the shop and so on.A lot of attendees at shows expect some bargains to be had resulting in less GP and that on top of the costs i have already mentioned make having an exhibit quite an expensive exercise.

Field days and the like are always planned with the very best of intentions but there is only so much new product to display to keep things interesting on an annual basis.

Steeler

eugah
09-06-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm with Stuie I thought it was a good show, I would like to see more boats & other dealers. This is probably because i'm currently looking for a boat. I did find that there were alot of smaller tinnies that dont interest me. I'd really like to see all the major makers of electronics have a display & have the experts show you what they can do. I didn't get a real good look around as I only got there at 3.30pm after getting home from fishing.
I don't have a problem paying $6 to get in & kids were free. You get bugger all for $6 these days.

Adrian

yknot.com
18-06-2010, 01:16 PM
spoke to a dealer who was not allowed to attend the tville show.the reason that only tville dealers attend is that they told the commity they would not attend if outside dealers were allowed.others who wanted to attend were noble,chaoscat,formosa,amm kelavacat just to name afew.they are now going to attend the caravan,camping & boating show in march 2011 where everybody is invited to display.

Scott nthQld
18-06-2010, 03:36 PM
that definitely sounds like the one to be at next year, hope it blows up so I'm not fishing.

Pridey
18-06-2010, 05:53 PM
Whats supposed to be better about next years show ??

Pridey
18-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Nevermind, Im an idiot.

sharkcat one
18-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Great to see some comments. I will forward to the committee. May benefit everyone!

Does anyone have any positive suggestions? Ideas of how to get around the Dealers - who pay for their site - not wanting competition from out of town at the same show?

Also, lets have quick look at the entry fee. It got each person a ticket into a chance to win a $5000+ dollar fishing trip to the NT for 2. You pay $2 a ticket for the meat tray at your local pub???????

Would love to hear positive input....

Gammo

Here's an idea, ---- Let the Manufacture’s in the show. The dealers in town can see what other boats are out there , and can talk to the manufacture about becoming a dealer for them . And I sure if their is enough interest in a boat from a manufacture , the manufacture will want to sign up a dealer in the area.

just a thought