PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki or Honda

WAKEY_NT
31-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm about to buy a Stacer 489 SF barra Pro but don't want to pair it up with a mercury. I'm looking at either a Honda 90 or a Suzuki 90. If anyone has used or owns either of these motors I'd be keen to hear what you think.

Huey
31-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Hi, we have sold Stacers for year here in Sydney and I have run both engines on the same Stacer hull and here is my opinion. The Suzuki was quicker, but the Honda does accerate faster and I prefer its gearcase over the Suzuki-it is too small. That said both were nice engines, similar noise and set-up and propped right would be close in fuel economy so it should come down to the dealer that you have the most confidence in. If it has come down to those two I would choose the Honda and only last week we rigged a new VTEC 90HP Honda to a 509 Nomad MP and she saw 66K/hr (not as quick as some engines we have rigged to the same hull), it cruised nicely at about 4500RPM doing 44K/hr and the hull carried the extra weight OK.

Cheers,

Huey.

hakuna
31-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Suzuki 8kg lighter

cheers

aaron_gilmour
31-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I own a 480 stessl edgetracker tourny pro witha 75opti.

I took a 5m makocraft frenzy with the new 90 honda and it was awesome in holeshot, fuel economy, responsiveness and very quiet.
So much so I want one and happy to leave the DI twostrokes

Havent run the new suzuki 90 just the super seeded model which was good but not as good as the honda in my view.

cheers

Fatenhappy
01-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Suzuki 8kg lighter ..... Seems like most of the Hondas are heavier aren't they?

Hmmm, even though I'm a Honda head and would be happy to own a Honda every day of the week! Got to say these days, price vs where the Suzis have come from in recent years and are now, you'd have to give them a real good hard look as a competitor ...

I've only had the 150 Hondas and up, nothing smaller ... exceptional engines .... Always stuck in my craw though, that I had to also buy the props for the Hondas ... to me sort of like buying a car with no wheels !

But as far as the engines themselves go ... exceptional and never regreted owning one, once I got past having paid the price difference!

Hell Boy
01-06-2010, 06:36 AM
Suzuki 8kg lighter

cheers

Hey Hakuna, how did you work out the honda is 8 kg heavier? the Suzuki 2010 Brochure has the 90A as 160Kg for the 20 Inch and the honda claims the 90Hp 163Kg for the 20 inch leg.

thats not 8 kg, that only works out to 3 kilos in favour to the Suzuki

(hakuna, Hope your enjoying that new Beast of a boat you have:) )

At the end of the day people weight doesn't mean a hell of a lot. Do people rashen there ice and other weighty goods, or even large friends so they get a better power to weight ratio. I wouldn't think so

Spaniard_King
01-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Suzuki 8kg lighter ..... Seems like most of the Hondas are heavier aren't they?

Hmmm, even though I'm a Honda head and would be happy to own a Honda every day of the week! Got to say these days, price vs where the Suzis have come from in recent years and are now, you'd have to give them a real good hard look as a competitor ...

I've only had the 150 Hondas and up, nothing smaller ... exceptional engines .... Always stuck in my craw though, that I had to also buy the props for the Hondas ... to me sort of like buying a car with no wheels !

But as far as the engines themselves go ... exceptional and never regreted owning one, once I got past having paid the price difference!

Fatenhappy,

Keep this quiet :-X but Honda will soon (not sure of the date but before xmas)be selling their engines with stainless props for 75hp and up for "NO" aditionional price. This means when you are quoted on an engine from Honda it will come with everything required to fit the engine to your boat.

Noelm
01-06-2010, 08:10 AM
hell boy, I don't think the issue is with extra weight added to the boat when engine weights are published, the engine is right at the very back (in fact over hanging) and anything extra is bad news out there, ice and people in the boat are not taken into account.

Noelm
01-06-2010, 03:18 PM
not that it makes much difference but I just looked at a site that puts the Honda 90 L/S at 359lbs and the Suzuki 90 L/S at 341lbs which equates to 18 lbs difference in weight, about 8KG as stated way back, but when all is said and done, 8KG is bugger all, maybe the difference in a bigger battery in the boat, or a few more litres of fuel, the Honda is a fine engine as is the Suzuki I would imagine.

Hell Boy
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah i also came across that on the web, but i'm only stating fiqures from the 2010 suzuki brochure for the 90A (which states 160kg) and my honda brochure (which states 163kg)

i don't why there are other fiqures out there, there seems to be a different weights for the suzuki on different websites.

Maybe suzuki made an error in the 2010 Brochure and the lighter weights for the 90A Suzuki are up on the web.

http://www.hondampe.com.au/repository/marine/products/high-horsepower/bf90/specifications.aspx

http://www.thehainesgroup.com/new/_uploads/suzuki/1217542010_Suzuki_4Stroke_Brochure.pdf

Can somebody check these to confirm i'm reading it right

Cheers

not that it makes much difference but I just looked at a site that puts the Honda 90 L/S at 359lbs and the Suzuki 90 L/S at 341lbs which equates to 18 lbs difference in weight, about 8KG as stated way back, but when all is said and done, 8KG is bugger all, maybe the difference in a bigger battery in the boat, or a few more litres of fuel, the Honda is a fine engine as is the Suzuki I would imagine.

Hell Boy
01-06-2010, 04:35 PM
I just checked the suzuki webpage ( not the 2010 suzuki brochure) for the 90hp and it states 155kg, but the 2010 brochure states 160Kg,

Im guessing the web page must be right.

Sorry for the confusion, i just saw the weight in the brochure and assumed everyone else was wrong. ( Im always right;D Not)

http://www.hainessuzukimarine.com.au/content.aspx?pageID=24&mainID=35&subID=3

hakuna
02-06-2010, 07:31 AM
Hey Hakuna, how did you work out the honda is 8 kg heavier? the Suzuki 2010 Brochure has the 90A as 160Kg for the 20 Inch and the honda claims the 90Hp 163Kg for the 20 inch leg.

thats not 8 kg, that only works out to 3 kilos in favour to the Suzuki

(hakuna, Hope your enjoying that new Beast of a boat you have:) )

At the end of the day people weight doesn't mean a hell of a lot. Do people rashen there ice and other weighty goods, or even large friends so they get a better power to weight ratio. I wouldn't think so

Mate, just got it off both of their web sites.

I was getting Hondas for my boat but between suziki giving me a $1500 each back on each motor and 10kg combined in weight less it was a no brainer.
Have had no problems, run well, only complaint is that I cannot hear them and have to look at my tacho bouncing to see if they are running

cheers