PDA

View Full Version : Ch 9 promoting illegal mudcrab cooking and catching?

ThePinkPanther
29-05-2010, 11:08 AM
I was watching the Getaway program a few weeks back on Ch 9 and on it they had a segment about catching mudcrabs up in the Gulf somewhere........................ 8-)

The Ranger was an Aboriginal and the Journalist a white female from the station I guess. :o

What got up my nose was that firstly he was happily hooking them out of their holes with a wire that I thought was completely illegal - even for Aborigines - and secondly he was simply dumping them alive onto a steel grill over a fire, upside down. This last action was only very brief but the crab's legs were waving about so I figure he still had some life in him. >:(

He then gave the hook to the Journo who promptly dragged one out of a hole!! :'(

In appreciation that indigenous people in Australia can pretty well butcher any animal or marine life they come across, I think showing it blatently on television is a bit beyond the pale!

I thought about calling the station but this sort of issue has no mileage in it for obvious reasons so have to confine my rant to this forum!! :(

Shagga
29-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I think you will find that hooking crabs from their holes is not illegal in all states or territories. It certainly is in Qld. So the issue really has nothing to do with Aboriginality or breach of any fishing regulations.

Lucky_Phill
29-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Was it in the Queensland part of the Gulf ?

Lucky_Phill
29-05-2010, 11:16 AM
OK< just checked.... Getaway is on channel 9, now I'm confused.

LP.

ThePinkPanther
29-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Ooooops, fixed the wrong channel bit and the night and yes, think it was around Weipa but really can't recall the exact spot!

Shagga
29-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Pink Panther,

Were you watching Corrine Grant's Kakadu Adventure on channel 72 or 73? This show is on Saturday nights.

boney-leg
29-05-2010, 01:30 PM
The Ranger was an Aboriginal and the Journalist a white female from the station I guess. :o

Not sure why you chose a shocked face for that ... Would you like to choose an episode for clarity?? http://getaway.ninemsn.com.au/fact-sheets/

ThePinkPanther
29-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Nah Boney_Leg, I'm above petty comments like that!

Shocked face? Geeeeez..................................... move on Mate!

ashh
29-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Aboriginals can take what they like, when they like and how ever much they like.
I was watching a program and they were on palm island, 100ft dragnet, everything from undersized flattys to irukanjis... they took the lot, and its legal for them to do so.

brisbane_boy
29-05-2010, 07:29 PM
leila mckinnon would of been one of the ringleaders, ill happily give her a spanking for this

boney-leg
29-05-2010, 09:46 PM
I was watching a program and they were on palm island, 100ft dragnet, everything from undersized flattys to irukanjis

Been here 25 years and never seen that Ash - might be another island.

HeadBanger
04-06-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't know about the mudcrab issue, but as far as Aboriginal fishing and hunting laws go, I find them a little unfair. I have no qualms about Aboriginals going out in dug out canoes and spearing turtles with wooden hand spears, but when they're in a runabout with a 30hp and using shotguns, it just doesn't seem right.

Yes the Aboriginals were here first and should be given different, more beneficial laws than others, but there should be a limit to these laws.

Just my two cents,
Kaidon

gr hilly
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
i agree they should be able to hunt and fish all they want BUT not with the mod cons that white man has,if the use outboards and guns and tinny's they should have to stick by the same rules as we do.i wonder how long their gill nets were 200 yrs ago.

hilly

smashed crabs
05-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Got to be carefull with this sort of stuff lads , you have to undersatnd there are two totally different laws out there , one is white fella law and the other is black fella law. We are only governed by one law and they have two laws to contend with.

Cheers
SC

boney-leg
05-06-2010, 10:45 PM
i agree they should be able to hunt and fish all they want BUT not with the mod cons that white man has,if the use outboards and guns and tinny's they should have to stick by the same rules as we do.i wonder how long their gill nets were 200 yrs ago.
hilly

The only problem with that argument is that 200 years ago they didn't have to compete with non indigenous peoples using better tecnologies to deplete fisheries ie trawlers and rec fishers.

Let's put it into perspective though ... Indigenous Australians account for less than 3% of the population. Out of that 3% would be a ridiculously small number that have access to boats due to a high unemployment rate. Those in remote areas have higher expenses ($1.70 fuel here on Palm and higher up in the Straits) and this effects boat usuage. Their impact on the environment is low in comparison to non indigenous Australians.

I'll use Palm Is as an example ... we have about 3000 residents. All up there would be about 30 tinnies on the island with no more than half working at anytime due to no outboard machanics. It costs $500 return barge to get boats away for service. Out of those 30 boats only 3 have sounders and 2 of those have GPS. Their tackle is very basic (haven't ever heard of shotgun being used for turtle here). I've been out all this week and there have been no more than 5 boats out on any day from here. In comparison I counted 15 town boats last Saturday and 2 trawlers.

I'm sure we can allow them some slack. The traditions aren't the hunting but more going hunting for the meals used in ceremonies. And don't get me wrong ... some do the wrong thing and take more than they should but then so do other people. Don't use the few to bash the whole group.

legsy11
06-06-2010, 11:00 PM
i'm with you.
its their land and they should do what they want.

as for us white boys, we can quite easily vote out the bs governments till we get the laws we prefer or close too. after all,they change them to whatever they like anyway.
just ask the aborigines....

nickstock
18-06-2010, 08:05 AM
The only problem with that argument is that 200 years ago they didn't have to compete with non indigenous peoples using better tecnologies to deplete fisheries ie trawlers and rec fishers.

Let's put it into perspective though ... Indigenous Australians account for less than 3% of the population. Out of that 3% would be a ridiculously small number that have access to boats due to a high unemployment rate. Those in remote areas have higher expenses ($1.70 fuel here on Palm and higher up in the Straits) and this effects boat usuage. Their impact on the environment is low in comparison to non indigenous Australians.

I'll use Palm Is as an example ... we have about 3000 residents. All up there would be about 30 tinnies on the island with no more than half working at anytime due to no outboard machanics. It costs $500 return barge to get boats away for service. Out of those 30 boats only 3 have sounders and 2 of those have GPS. Their tackle is very basic (haven't ever heard of shotgun being used for turtle here). I've been out all this week and there have been no more than 5 boats out on any day from here. In comparison I counted 15 town boats last Saturday and 2 trawlers.

I'm sure we can allow them some slack. The traditions aren't the hunting but more going hunting for the meals used in ceremonies. And don't get me wrong ... some do the wrong thing and take more than they should but then so do other people. Don't use the few to bash the whole group.

Good to see someone that knows what they are on about. I think that many people that voice an opinion about controversial issues like this have spent very little time in remote indigenous circles.

A few local indigenous blokes around here will run a gill net out to take a feed for the community. Although I dont agree with any form of gill netting, the fish that they take is rarely wasted.

Now lets turn the stone for Mr white fella,

One local Gill netter has been working the Annan and Endeavour systems flat out for the last 6 months. There is a small area that is still open for commercial netting in the Annan River and the Endeavour has been closed for the last 5 or so years. However, this P.O.S has been raping and pillaging both systems on a nightly basis for many months now pulling hundreds of kilos of Barra, Threadies and Queenies every week.

The ironic thing is that QLD Fisheries and various M.P's have been notified with photographs, GPS locations of Nets, rotting and finned sharks (including saw sharks), net in the wrong areas, wrong sized mesh and nets not in attendance for days ect.

What has been done by the Government?................S.F.A.

A few murray's hooking Crabs are not the real issues here, if someone want's to enlighten people from the Southern states on the real issues regaurding the depletion on QLD's fish stock's, come to Cape York with a video camera for a month and you will be shocked at the QLD governments pathetic attemps of monitoring QLD's fisheries.

bondy99
18-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Good to see someone that knows what they are on about. I think that many people that voice an opinion about controversial issues like this have spent very little time in remote indigenous circles.

A few local indigenous blokes around here will run a gill net out to take a feed for the community. Although I dont agree with any form of gill netting, the fish that they take is rarely wasted.

Now lets turn the stone for Mr white fella,

One local Gill netter has been working the Annan and Endeavour systems flat out for the last 6 months. There is a small area that is still open for commercial netting in the Annan River and the Endeavour has been closed for the last 5 or so years. However, this P.O.S has been raping and pillaging both systems on a nightly basis for many months now pulling hundreds of kilos of Barra, Threadies and Queenies every week.

The ironic thing is that QLD Fisheries and various M.P's have been notified with photographs, GPS locations of Nets, rotting and finned sharks (including saw sharks), net in the wrong areas, wrong sized mesh and nets not in attendance for days ect.

What has been done by the Government?................S.F.A.

A few murray's hooking Crabs are not the real issues here, if someone want's to enlighten people from the Southern states on the real issues regaurding the depletion on QLD's fish stock's, come to Cape York with a video camera for a month and you will be shocked at the QLD governments pathetic attemps of monitoring QLD's fisheries.

G'day,

Just read your post. I dont work with or for the Govt but have applied in the past for a fisheries job specifically for your area.

I was told in blunt terms there will be no new jobs as all the money has been diverted to make water pipelines all over Qld to so called drought proof it.

The other part is this..All the fisheries inspectors and Marine Park Rangers will mostly be comprised of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and Traineeships are available to that group. Those individuals from the non tradtional aboriginal backgrounds dont have access to a Traineeship unless its office administration and the bulk of these are filled by woman.

Thats what I understand to be the situation

boney-leg
19-06-2010, 02:03 PM
The other part is this..All the fisheries inspectors and Marine Park Rangers will mostly be comprised of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and Traineeships are available to that group. Those individuals from the non tradtional aboriginal backgrounds dont have access to a Traineeship unless its office administration and the bulk of these are filled by woman.

Thats what I understand to be the situation

I would think that would make sense for remote communities as they have extremely high unemployment rates (more than 3 times national average) ... Why bring people in if there is local expertise?? I understand Cooktown is slightly different but Hopevale, Laura & Wujal Wujal should have locally employed rangers/fishos. Cooktown should have a mix.

ThePinkPanther
05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote: "A few murray's hooking Crabs are not the real issues here .........."

Garbage Mate! That was what the original post was all about. It had NOTHING to do with indigenous people taking martine life!!

Just shows how a subject can be distorted eh? The post was simply to draw attention to a TV channel airing a program apparently supporting an illegal method of catching mud crabs (hooking) and putting them to a slow death on a cooker when still alive!

How that ever got distorted into how the Government monitors ctivities in the Gulf and employment of aboriginals has got me!!

boney-leg
05-07-2010, 03:18 PM

What got up my nose was that firstly he was happily hooking them out of their holes with a wire that I thought was completely illegal - even for Aborigines ...

In appreciation that indigenous people in Australia can pretty well butcher any animal or marine life they come across ...

Quote: "A few murray's hooking Crabs are not the real issues here .........."

Garbage Mate! That was what the original post was all about. It had NOTHING to do with indigenous people taking martine life!!

You're right I guess - can't understand how we confused that considering it had absolutely nothing to do with Indigenous people taking marine life :P

GBC
05-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Now where's that button they're talking about in the Bilge?

sarg
23-07-2010, 08:43 PM
TPP when i was up in the NT back in 99 (on aboriginal land) crab pots were not allowed only hooks on sticks.