PDA

View Full Version : new to barra fishing

sharkcat one
28-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi guy's

Ok, got all my new gear and rods and heading up to the tannum sands hook-up and going to fish the Awoonga dam . As this is my first trip up there and first time fishing for barra I'm a little unsure of where to fish , Do I need a permit to fish the dam ? Any info would be great.

thanks.

aussiebasser
28-05-2010, 09:45 PM
You don't need a Permit for Awoonga. Fishing has been a bit quiet lately though.

Apollo
28-05-2010, 09:48 PM
If you can afford it, get a session out with either of the guides at Awoonga (Harro or Johnny Mitchell) - will save you a lot of time, dramatically increase your chances of catching barra and speed up your learning curve.

Steve

Awoonga
29-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Harro might be avalble but JM is taking a break untill Aug. And as dale said QUIET is the word at the moment. My ten cents worth. Things better improve quick or its not worth the trip. Maybe l am being a bit rash so lets look at this more closely. Catching barra can be challenging for the newcomer at the best of times . Awoonga is going through a transition at the moment. Its the highest its ever been. So the area that it now covers is massive. Most of this is open water. Plenty of food.{ The biomass is just incredible } What we dont have is stable weather patten . Its all over the shop at the moment. Lake Monduran water level rose too but this lake is more sheltered. Not so exposed to the elements. Lots of sheltered bays..its 90mins away but l think a better option