PDA

View Full Version : 31 Jew Fish

the linesman
28-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Read an article on page 48 of Sunshine Coast Daily Friday 28th May about some local here who with his mate from Brisbane "nailed" 31 jew on Marcoola beach recently. My question is did they "nail" them in one session? If so surely they are exceeding the legal bag limit of 2 jew fish per angler 'just slightly'. If they caught these fish over several sessions has he got his share of 15 1/2 fish in possession in his freezer. Is that legal? Why does he need that many fish? Is he feeding the whole neighbourhood with a chest thumping aren't I a great fisherman. Have the DPI Fishing and Boating Patrol been around to his house to look in his freezer. Can they do that? I also see in the article he takes his 14 year old son fishing to teach him the craft. (God help us)

Member101
28-05-2010, 10:45 PM
the big question is 'how many, if any, were released?' I agree with your comments on 'why anyone needs that many fish'. I take my 3 year old fishing with me to teach him and we bring home only enough for dinner that night. No freezer full of fish, no feeding the neighbors.

That way there will hopefully be plenty there for him in 10, 20, 30 years. Not likely with reports like that, but it is a nice thought.

Cheers
Steve

004dam
29-05-2010, 06:05 PM
aparently its a possesion limit? so you cant have xxx in your freezer. what day was this im from the sunny coast ill see if i can find the article.

the linesman
29-05-2010, 07:56 PM
004dam
Page 49 Sunny Coast Daily Friday 28 th May. Sorry misprint on my post on the page No.

004dam
29-05-2010, 08:55 PM
sorry didnt see the page quote in the first post :)

BaitThrower
30-05-2010, 07:38 AM
well you know how those reports are exaggerated... was probably that or a misprint which should have read 3 jew, not 31... There are probably not even 31 jew in the whole region :P

4x4frog
30-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Were there any pic of said fish?
As Nugget's famous quote says, a fishing story without pics is just that, a story.
I call fishy tale;D

On the issue of possession and whether they are able to search your freezer/home. Wasn't there rumblings because the inspectors did just that up at Hervey Bay a couple of years ago and they inspected some freezers of pensioner fishermen?

Dezzer
30-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Should we be presuming that they're all in a freezer?

Cheech
31-05-2010, 12:13 PM
On the issue of possession and whether they are able to search your freezer/home. Wasn't there rumblings because the inspectors did just that up at Hervey Bay a couple of years ago and they inspected some freezers of pensioner fishermen?

I remember a case where they inspected some people at a caravan park. May be the same case that you are thinking about.

I doubt very much that the inspectors would go to the extent of trying to get a search warrant and check your house.

I would assume he was catch and release.

Scott nthQld
31-05-2010, 12:25 PM
got to remember, it doesn't say whether he kept them all or not, so he can 'nail' as many as he likes as long as he doesn't keep more then the limit.

How many times have people here caught more than the bag limit? I have, several times, doesn't mean they all went in the box though. hell i know people that just fish for the sake of it, ecasue they enjoy the activity, but do not eat fish, they catch all they like and don't bring any home. So don't just assume if 31 jew were caught, that means 31 jew were kept.

Barry Ehsman
31-05-2010, 03:54 PM
got to remember, it doesn't say whether he kept them all or not, so he can 'nail' as many as he likes as long as he doesn't keep more then the limit.

How many times have people here caught more than the bag limit? I have, several times, doesn't mean they all went in the box though. hell i know people that just fish for the sake of it, ecasue they enjoy the activity, but do not eat fish, they catch all they like and don't bring any home. So don't just assume if 31 jew were caught, that means 31 jew were kept.
Well said Scott
Baz

fish_crazy
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Read an article on page 48 of Sunshine Coast Daily Friday 28th May about some local here who with his mate from Brisbane "nailed" 31 jew on Marcoola beach recently. My question is did they "nail" them in one session? If so surely they are exceeding the legal bag limit of 2 jew fish per angler 'just slightly'. If they caught these fish over several sessions has he got his share of 15 1/2 fish in possession in his freezer. Is that legal? Why does he need that many fish? Is he feeding the whole neighbourhood with a chest thumping aren't I a great fisherman. Have the DPI Fishing and Boating Patrol been around to his house to look in his freezer. Can they do that? I also see in the article he takes his 14 year old son fishing to teach him the craft. (God help us)

Hi there
Just to claify it for you, the guy in question is a mate of mine and yes him and a mate from Brisbane did "nail" 31 one jew in a session but none were kept. If you know Neill at all he's very passionate about his fishingand jew fishing in particular. He is indeed a very good jew fisherman and has put a lot of hours on the beach. He only catches enough for a feed.

I haven't read the newspaper article at all but journos often add things or leave out to make the article a more interesting read. I was speaking to Neill friday night and he was very upset about these acusations from the linesman. So, please in future, don't believe everything that you believe in the papers or the soapbox. There's always two sides to the story.
btw, Neill got me onto my first beach Jew.:)

sharkymark2
15-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Bloody good to hear the whole truth :). I often nail 30 odd squire a trip but most would be undersized :).

NAGG
16-06-2010, 07:56 AM
What do they say about assuming ::)