PDA

View Full Version : CAV 296 for Diesel only????

murf
26-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Is this statement true? and when did it change?

the CAV 296 filter cartridge were designed originally to suit either petrol or diesel fuel. The current range of CAV 296 filter cartridges now available are for diesel fuels only

so now I have to buy a Ryco R2132P?

its for a 60hp Merc 4 banger

cheers Murf

Spaniard_King
26-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Murf, its been that way for quite a while.

yes you need the R2132P

FNQCairns
26-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Is this statement true? and when did it change?

the CAV 296 filter cartridge were designed originally to suit either petrol or diesel fuel. The current range of CAV 296 filter cartridges now available are for diesel fuels only

so now I have to buy a Ryco R2132P?

its for a 60hp Merc 4 banger

cheers Murf

Today anyway the filters (because the glue) are only insured for use with diesel engines, if they saw a market worth their time for fuel they would need to make no changes. I use them on my boat but I did change just a month or so ago to the ryco as i had one here..

murf
26-05-2010, 06:53 PM
thanks guys :) been using the R2132P for the last couple of changes but when old mate charged me $54 for one today I asked for him to remove it from my bill :-?

seemed a bit steep for a $10 to $20 filter so I went back to evil bay to see what they were worth when I read that the 296 is for diesel only

cheers Murf

Spaniard_King
26-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Murf,

There $12.50 at the b Store of cf

cormorant
26-05-2010, 07:21 PM
email the disributor and get a straight answer. The original lucas ( now owned by delphi) ones were OK . I think they are OK now but only the hdf ones. Would need to confirm that with ethanol fuels.

There was issues with both paper ( not aging well past 12 months) , rubber ring seals and glue used in many filters. Some issues were also encountered with poor quality oil being stripped from fuel in premix situations. Acid reaction of water in fuel was causing hell on the internals of some if not regularly changed

Watch your flow rates as well as a thirsty v6 2 stroke will put em at their limit at full throttle which may have been the truth behing the "oil stripping" situation when the motor in factmay have run ran lean from clogged filters or restrictions.

The generics I wouldn't trust

Don't believe what you read in a chain store catalog.

Ryco at Sup cheap at 12.49 as well I think but that is still double the cost and teh spiral paper in teh CAVS is really good if it is still suitable

EDIT - Should have also mentioned that there are 2 ways to set up a CAV filter head as some are set up backwards. Have a look at how it is set up and which ports are used and which are blanked Some filters and filter heads were designed to be pressure fed and others are designed as suction filters . Anything over 70hp carby 2 stroke should be on 8mm fittings and decent fuel hose

murf
27-05-2010, 12:03 PM
so what is the Diff between a RYCO R2132PMAS and a RYCO R2132P? besides that the first one is $1.50 dearer and says Marine on the packaging.

The only diff I could physically see on the outside to distinguish them apart is that one has the RYCO writing upside down :-?

tried to look it up on the internet but come up blank (probably was having a boy look as the missus would say haha)

cheers Murf