PDA

View Full Version : porta potti

trueblue
24-05-2010, 11:31 PM
any traps, or special know how required associated with installing a toilet in a trailer boat cabin

I have room in the cabin. keen to know what sorts are best, why, and any special info required to install them

cheers

Mick

trueblue
26-05-2010, 12:03 AM
surely someone has started from scratch installing a toilet in a small trailer boat cabin???

cormorant
26-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Don't - they smell etc etc etc I hate the formaldehede smell. Makes me sea sick fast.

We use a 15l bucket from with the toilet lid shops the camp with bags in it and fresh sawdust and some kitty litter. Add a few drops of euculyptus.

trueblue
26-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Don't - they smell etc etc etc I hate the formaldehede smell. Makes me sea sick fast.

We use a 15l bucket from with the toilet lid shops the camp with bags in it and fresh sawdust and some kitty litter. Add a few drops of euculyptus.

there is an interesting alternative.........

I don't have any preconcieved ideas, I just need to somehow install a 'toilet' for the ladies

I'm open to all sorts of ideas

cheers

Mick

PinHead
26-05-2010, 04:11 AM
only installation required is to put it on the floor...add water to the top tank..chemical in the bottom tank and all done.

uglyfish
26-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Why not jump on ebay and see if you can get a proper camping dunny, no smell easy to dispose of and small and compact.
To istall one perminatly youd have to have a tank then to empty it youd have to pump it out or go out to dump it, keeping in mind the marpol regs..
cheers james

Smithy
26-05-2010, 07:30 AM
I only put mine in the boat on days I know I have women out. You can get a small whiff of the chemical every now and again so I take it out and put it back in every day as needed.

Midnight
26-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Gday Mick,
I have a Fiamma brand chemical dunny in my Bertram, and can guarantee ya that it never smells. Not even a little bit.
Different brands of chemicals smell worse than others too.

The Fiamma one seemed to be the best when I was hunting around.

I didn't re install a sea toilet in my boat when the old one crapped it, due to it just being something else to fail. Maceraters, valves, holding tank etc.
we go away for up to 4 days on myboat and the wife is yet to complain about the chemical dunny.

Cheers,
Myles

charleville
26-05-2010, 07:58 AM

I did a lot of research on these things a couple of months ago and ended up buying a Fiamma as well.

There are cheaper brands such as Coleman or the ones that Big-W and K-Mart sell but when you look at a few comfort issues such as the depth of the bowl and the ease of getting replacement parts, it is really hard to go past either Fiamma or the original Thetford Porta Potti brand.

Conventional wisdom suggests that you ought to get one with a piston flusher rather than a bellows as the latter fail earlier. Fiammas have piston flushers, Thetfords have the choice of either at a higher cost for the piston versions. The el cheapos pretty well always have the bellows flushers.

On price, reputation and servicing bases for comparison, it is hard to go past the Fiammas. Camping shops and chandlers tend to be the cheaper stores for these products. Caravan accessories shops can be very expensive on these products. I bought mine at Bias Boating which had the cheapest price that I could find at the time.

only installation required is to put it on the floor...add water to the top tank..chemical in the bottom tank and all done.

My research of users on the internet, especially caravaners and campers, shows that rather than buying the expensive brand name chemicals, you are better off buying the Coles or Woolies home brand equivalents to Napisan for the bottom tank. They are much cheaper and also said to contain more of the ingredient that does the breaking-down job.

NormC
26-05-2010, 08:54 AM
I've never used a Porta Pottie in a boat, but we have had one for years for camping. Now have a similar (though permanently installed) set up in the caravan.

Regardless of brand, there should not be any smell if used correctly. As for chemicals, do yourself a favour and save lots of money and the environment. Go to Woolies and buy their Home Brand Nappy Treatment Plus. I buy the 3KG, but you can get smaller. The active ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate, which breaks down to Oxygen and soda ash over time in water. Just put about
half a cup with a litre of water in the bottom tank.

Cheap as chips, no smell, environmentally friendly, septic safe, easy to use. And you can use it to soak the fishing clothes as well.

We have been using it for about 3 years.

Do not use the Formaldehyde type chemicals some companies sell. They are very nasty for the environment.

I fully understand your position. Toilet facilities are high priority for women - not so for blokes. A happy wife (or other) makes for happy camping or fishing.

Norm C

ozscott
26-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Does the Nappy San break down the shite and make it smell acceptable for dumping time...opening the cap and pouring it out is ok with the chemical (floury smell that is fine) but what about the Nappysan?

Cheers

charleville
26-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Does the Nappy San break down the shite and make it smell acceptable for dumping time.

Same as.

Smithy
26-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Mine's a Thetford brand Porta Potti. The flap connected to the handle at the front has a tendency to pop off the rails from time to time with mine. There is more smell when this happens and it is a simple fix with a bit of wiggle and a push here and there. It has a bellows style pump but so far it is doing the job fine.

NormC
26-05-2010, 01:50 PM
The Nappy Treatment breaks the contents down completely. All solids, including the toilet paper are dissolved to liquid. There will be some smell when you are emptying as there is no 'perfume' added, but it is not too bad. No worse (probably better) than most of the expensive commercial products.

The home brand products are better than the brand name ones like Nappy San. Not only are they much cheaper, but there is more active ingredient in them as well. If interested, read the label when next at the supermarket.

Norm C

Does the Nappy San break down the shite and make it smell acceptable for dumping time...opening the cap and pouring it out is ok with the chemical (floury smell that is fine) but what about the Nappysan?

Cheers

trueblue
30-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Gday Mick,
I have a Fiamma brand chemical dunny in my Bertram, and can guarantee ya that it never smells. Not even a little bit.
Different brands of chemicals smell worse than others too.

I didn't re install a sea toilet in my boat when the old one crapped it, due to it just being something else to fail. Maceraters, valves, holding tank etc.
we go away for up to 4 days on myboat and the wife is yet to complain about the chemical dunny.

Cheers,
Myles

Thanks Myles

I found the Fiamma ones at Whitworths - they look good and not too expensive. got a couple of sizes too so i'll get whatever fits inside easily.

will make the wife happy

cheers

Mick

Spartan
31-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I bought a porta potti from E-Bay for the child bride around 18 months ago after she complained about the beautiful red bucket I used to use. I put the porta potti in whenever she comes out, hold it in place with hockey straps. However, it is yet to be used in anger after 18 months.