PDA

View Full Version : Major catastrophic failure requiring a re-build/replacement - up to 5 years

ozscott
23-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi all,

Spaniard King prompted me to do another Poll. This one is an ownership Poll cause hearsay for this, unless you are in a boat and see a rod sticking out the side of the block is the only way you can hear about a blown motor unless its your own.

If you have personally OWNED a new motor from new that is up to 5 years old and has blown the power head requiring a new motor or rebuild?

To make it wider than just a rod being thrown, it can be a thrown rod, bearing failure, major valve train failure, cracked block, cracked heads, and blown head gaskets; but please specify in your post which you have experienced. If anyone thinks their power head has failed in the spirit of this poll but it doesnt meet these general parameters please vote and post it up anyway and explain.

Cheers

ozscott
24-05-2010, 09:45 AM
So far 90 odd people have viewed this thread. Its interesting and very good that there have been votes for only 2 failures of the type contemplated by the poll cause I am assuming that of those 91 a fair proportion have in the last 5 years purchased a new new-tech donk...

Cheers

Spaniard_King
24-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Still hard to gauge the poll scott when you don't get any explanations.. again could be false info.

ozscott
24-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Yep I know Gary - was hoping that people would post details.

Cheers

Pirate_Pete_Tas
24-05-2010, 05:49 PM
You need an option to say you didnt have any problem to get a better idea other than the number of times the post is read.

stevej
24-05-2010, 06:18 PM
ive seen 2 etecs with almost half their gear box casings destroyed can i vote

ozscott
24-05-2010, 08:41 PM
No sorry mate - owners poll only.

I would amend it to show no catastrophic failure - thats a good idea mate - except that I dont know how...if a mod sees this can they please amend the poll options.

Cheers

aaron_gilmour
24-05-2010, 10:15 PM
My 75hp optimax with 750 hrs decided to nip the top piston while trolling around cape cleavland up in tvl. Motor was just coming up to 5 years old. New powerhead and all good again.

Angla
24-05-2010, 10:17 PM
I could not put a cross anywhere as my 25 year old Evinrude would not give up and the Opti is still going very strong

This is a good poll to have no results in

Cheers
Chris

Luc
24-05-2010, 11:24 PM
10 year old yamaha 25/4 no problems.

Luc

Steeler
25-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Can we include websites LOL ?.

hivalley
26-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Yep I know Gary - was hoping that people would post details.

Cheers

Hi ozscott,

Unfortunately mate I think all you will get here is brand bashing:-[

As you say we need details, model and serial numbers so the dealers on here can substantiate the facts.

I took the time to look at the Etec polled votes for obvious reasons::)

Four people voted that they had power head failures on their Etec's, I don't know if they realise their name appears against the poll voted for. You don't need to be to bright to use the search function on the site, you can search for all posts by a particular user and use key words like "Etec" used in the posts.

What surprised me is that Etec bashers actually own Etecs:o or do they?

Well I'll let the EXPERTS do their own homework if they wish but be prepared to be be disappointed in the mentality of some ozfish members>:(

Spaniard_King
26-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Hi ozscott,

Unfortunately mate I think all you will get here is brand bashing:-[

As you say we need details, model and serial numbers so the dealers on here can substantiate the facts.

I took the time to look at the Etec polled votes for obvious reasons::)

Four people voted that they had power head failures on their Etec's, I don't know if they realise their name appears against the poll voted for. You don't need to be to bright to use the search function on the site, you can search for all posts by a particular user and use key words like "Etec" used in the posts.

What surprised me is that Etec bashers actually own Etecs:o or do they?

Well I'll let the EXPERTS do their own homework if they wish but be prepared to be be disappointed in the mentality of some ozfish members>:(

Why do we need serial numbers and what do we have to substantiate?

Are Etec failures the only failures that need to substantiated?

People should look at the results and take what they want from it... it's a poll not a trial::)

hivalley
26-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Why do we need serial numbers and what do we have to substantiate?

Are Etec failures the only failures that need to substantiated?

People should look at the results and take what they want from it... it's a poll not a trial::)

1. Because if you have access to dealer port you can look up the history of that outboard and verify any warranty claims.

2. No not just Etec,s, probably just as much BS with the Mercs and others.

3. Yes it's only a poll, I'm still in tilted to my views as are you, and I'm still disappointed in the pea brain mentality of those that bash ANY brand for no other reason than their own pitiful egos.

BTW I own an Etec and also 2 x Yammies, 1 x Mariner and 2 x British Seagulls that are over 40 yo and still going strong, I have never had a failure in any outboard I have owned over the past 30 years. I have also owned a Honda that never missed a beat but did not have the torque and weighted to much for the application at the time.

Spaniard_King
26-05-2010, 08:50 AM
HV,

2. No not just Etec,s, probably just as much BS with the Mercs and others

This is what I am getting at!! no one else is jumping up and down asking for serial number for any other brand other than Etecs to justify a failure.

I know Honda has failures just like every other brand, unless BRP has changed the warranty system from the old OMC one to state the "possible cause" The claim will only show the principle failed part and parts used not what caused the failure. The cause of the failure would be way more important as a lot of failures are due to poor fitup.

Flex
26-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Maybe you should change the poll asking who has broken down at sea and needed assistance with an outboard less than 5 years old?

To me when at sea, a small electrical problem or a catastrophic failure is pretty much the same thing when your 80kms offshore can cant get home

ozscott
26-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Mate start another one...we can have several running together.

Cheers

hivalley
26-05-2010, 09:15 AM
HV,

2. No not just Etec,s, probably just as much BS with the Mercs and others

This is what I am getting at!! no one else is jumping up and down asking for serial number for any other brand other than Etecs to justify a failure.

I know Honda has failures just like every other brand, unless BRP has changed the warranty system from the old OMC one to state the "possible cause" The claim will only show the principle failed part and parts used not what caused the failure. The cause of the failure would be way more important as a lot of failures are due to poor fitup.

The only reason I picked Evinrude is because when I looked at the poll I noticed a one eyed etec basher had posted a failure on HIS engine, BS BS BS.

And I don't know what you are getting at, whats the problem in verifying fact from BS? Like I say I have never owned a dud outboard touch wood, I like my Etec for sure, my favorite motor at the moment is a little 40HP Yam tiller that is something of a freak,it is probably the sweetest motor I have owned for reasons I can't explain.

I don't think it is me who is jumping up and down, when I read all the sad comments from the one eye brigade I feel lucky I am free to experience all the great offerings from all manufactures when ever I like.

Spaniard_King
26-05-2010, 09:21 AM
HV,

read through the posts... there lies the tru poll results

Noelm
26-05-2010, 09:32 AM
I think we are all losing sight of the fact this is just a public poll, not a lot of scientific fact, just an observation from (maybe) owners, if someone wants to bag an engine and say they had one blow up, when in fact they have never owned one, then so be it, you will not stop that, and anyone who does that is a dumb ass fool, but it is their perogative.

Jabba_
26-05-2010, 04:10 PM
The only motor I have owned that blew a powerhead was a 250 Ficht, 2 weeks after it ingested saltwater.. Rust set in and pitted the crank and bearing, causing the bearing to seize and be chewed out and go through the cylinder causing catastrophic damage....

Unlike others, I do not class the OMC ficht to be a BRP E-tec, they ar poll's apart, so I have not voted....

Also I don't class this catastrophic failure to be a fault off the motor rather the result off water ingestion due to being swamped... Again, my reason for not voting

ozscott
04-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Bouncing this one too back up to the top given the ETEC thread.

Cheers