PDA

View Full Version : Port of Brisbane Etiquette

chief
22-05-2010, 06:27 PM
I was with a mate on the river around the PoB wharves on friday night and Unfortunately I was left speechless . A tug had come to assist a huge container ship fully loaded depart from the wharf. I sat and watched as the massive vessel angled away and was about go under it's own steam and make it"s way to sea when a 15 ft runabout tried to anchor directly in the path of the ship about 90 metres from it's bow. The skipper then proceeded to get his rods set up as the massive ship sounded it's first blast. Then the ship blasted it's horn a second time for 15 seconds and the tinnie skip then decided to wash his hands over the side, and fuss around the boat and comb his hair. The noise was deafening and echoed around the whole port but the tinnie stayed firm. It took a good 10 minutes for the container ship to alter the massive ships course to travel forward with out passing to close or hitting the flaming galah in the tinnie. This sort of behaviour will do nothing but create problems for the anglers who do the right thing when fishing this area. For God sake do the right thing and get out of the bloody road or we'll have a total restriction zone:angry:

death_ship
22-05-2010, 06:38 PM
hehe, brave peanut

ssab1
22-05-2010, 06:44 PM
they never cease to amaze. Bet he holds a boat licence though.

Jurkyjj
22-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Exactly Chief.......pretty soon the 30 metres exclusion will be halfway across the other side of the channel.
Yet again, minority wrecking it for the majority.

Unbelievable.

Jason.

Jurkyjj
22-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Or is it already 50 metres???

Jurkyjj
22-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Or is it 100 metres????

Oh!!!too confusing depending on the port authorities boat that speaks to you!!

No wonder with idiots like this parking in the way of container ships.

Jason.

Jarrah Jack
22-05-2010, 08:21 PM
They sure are loud those horns, I'd like one on my boat for when the misses is not on board.:grin:

MajesticMarine
23-05-2010, 10:54 AM
Some people just lack common sense. I would have loved to be up in the bridge of the container ship when the port pilot would have been going off his rocker.

charleville
23-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I suspect that the pilot was also trying to make contact with the offender on Channel 16.

I always get a bit amused when I am out in the bay at the number of calls on Channel 16 that go something like, "This is the tanker Pacific Venturer (made up name) calling the recreational yacht (or fishing boat) in the the main shipping channel at X beacon. Can you respond, please?" The call will be made a few more times sometimes eliciting a response and sometimes not.

I chuckle every time at the plight of the poor pilot when I hear those too frequent calls. Those big tankers and container ships would be bloody hard things to do a reverse park or a three point turn in.

Yup! Some boaties have no common sense at all.

I remember my boat licence instructor simply saying, "Keep away from big ships." That was enough for me.

MajesticMarine
23-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Those big tankers and container ships would be bloody hard things to do a reverse park or a three point turn in.

The organisation and communication that goes on during a reverse park or 3 point turn is awsome to witness. had the pleasure of being up in the bridge with the guy that does our relocations when he was piloting a big one into sydney's darling harbour last year. Very impressive to say the least.

Geoff-
23-05-2010, 11:53 AM
people being a prick to large ships and also truckies on the road deserve a little nudge, IMO. They are big and can't maneuver easily give them some space!! There are pricks everywhere though, I had some guy/girl jaywalk in front of my car, they hadn't left themselves much gap. The guy looks at me and deliberately slows down just to teach me a lesson about driving on the road.. good one you idiot, you sure showed me!! I wouldn't be the one waking up in hospital if i'd run over his foot, though. I can only hope karma catches up with these fools eventually.

loophole
23-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Cheif glad u posted this up.. Me and my mate Watched it all happen, its half obvious when a ship is about to dock or leave... couldnt belive he anchored up right in his path.

Razgo-
23-05-2010, 05:13 PM
its a wonder the port authority boat never came out and asked him to move on? was it late at night?

It happened to be a little while ago when i broke down in the middle of Brisbane river and had a huge ship bearing down on me. The port authority came out to me to see what was going on. Luckily i had just resolved the issue and was able to move on.

Although in my case it was would have ben clear to teh ship as i was hanging roof the back with the cowling off the motor.

yeah best to give wide berth with any large ships :)

russ