PDA

View Full Version : why do boaties fly past so close to another?

Razgo-
20-05-2010, 04:21 PM
It has happened 3 times so far. Sitting approx 25m from the rock wall golf course the always come past on the plane between me and the rocks!

why? am i missing something? the Brisbane River is REALLY WIDE!

the time before that i had a crab pot between me and the wall and a line out and they still came between me and the wall and that time i was only about 15m from the rocks!

they don't even slow down and are on the plane.

I don't get it?

russ

finga
20-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Neither do they matey.

Some people are just ignorant of the rules.

Take your trusty video camera and video tape them and send a copy to the boys in blue and post a copy on every website you can think of.

Or have a bow line tied to the rock wall and to yourself. That'll slow them up.

Steeler
20-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Gooses that's why.

Cast a line out in there direction next time,if you manage to hit them with your sinker tell em there too close.

Angla
20-05-2010, 05:23 PM
That's what snapper heads are for!

It will only take one head to get the message across.

Cheers
Chris

Steeler
20-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I never seem to catch anything so sinkers for me LOL.

Razgo-
20-05-2010, 05:31 PM
lol, thanks for the tips :).

the funny thing is they come straight out from colmslie ramp to come all the way over to where i am and around me only to go back out to the middle and continue on down river. you actually have to go out your way to go around me. thats why i was bewildered.

recently it is was Brisbane port workers who did exactly the same thing as they were heading back to port from a job down stream from me. they could have gone straight out to the middle but they chose to hug the shore/rock line to get in between me and the wall.

as far as i can tell i am not in the channel or anything.

I am starting to think it might be because i am in an unusual looking boat that's not normally seen in the river and they are coming over to take a closer look. if thats why then thats fine come over and say gidday but jeez slow down a bit!!

russ

finga
20-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I am starting to think it might be because i am in an unusual looking boat that's not normally seen in the river and they are coming over to take a closer look. if thats why then thats fine come over and say gidday but jeez slow down a bit!!
russ
Maybe they think God has woken up and gone fishing and they want to make sure it was God they saw.
Well you do look like him matey :rolleyes:

Or maybe they think your a party boat with naked women on-board?? :cheesy:

Did Chris say snapper heads or snapper leads?? :huh:

dreemon
20-05-2010, 06:10 PM
The Green sea toads are meant for chuckin at idiots, why they drive by so close? I know jet skis do alot of that, I'll be cruising along ( in a dry boat) then a ski will travel right next to me with his spray getting on me and my boy while he's waving and smiling and my hands are in the air:tongue: , although I find that when a boat is sitting on the plane and go past " at a reasonable distance" the wake is less than if they slow down to 20 kph then speed up again,

for your situation. . . I haven't a clue why they use you as an obstical coarse unless they think the shallow water is on the other side of you,

I had a trawler nearly wipe me out once and I was only 5-8 m off the rock wall at the clarance bar, that bar is really wide too, but it does help when someone is at the helm:huh: Cheers

Teabag73
20-05-2010, 06:14 PM
I think sometimes people do it to mark your spots on their gps.....To me it is totally uncool......

michael m
20-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Happened to me at Bribie the other day out in the boat, by the time the waves where gone by I thought I was going to be sick.
I just think they are just rude.
I wonder if it ever happens to them and they get pissed off by it like we do?
cheers
Michael

Boomi Boy
20-05-2010, 06:37 PM
In September I am going to tow my boat 2500kms, the last 110km a real 4wd goat track, to a remote 1500ha impoundment with no facilities at all apart from a a ramp. Why?? Well one of the main reasons is there will be no D$ckheads, none, zero, zilch!! I may, on past experiance, not even see another boat for the whole two weeks. If some d$ckhead does turn up and drives within coee of me, well, its a very remote place, people have disappeared b4!!

gr hilly
20-05-2010, 07:07 PM
thats the best part of getting away no one at all
hilly

Razgo-
20-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Maybe they think God has woken up and gone fishing and they want to make sure it was God they saw.
Well you do look like him matey :rolleyes:

Or maybe they think your a party boat with naked women on-board?? :cheesy:

Did Chris say snapper heads or snapper leads?? :huh:

lol, nah, maybe Moses :) and your right it should have party girls on board!
russ

finga
20-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Moses wouldn't need a boat....

Blusta
21-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Bad mannered and ignorant would just about cover it. They probably tail gate on the highway, too.

BOMBIE
21-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Fellas, when in smaller tinnys in the creek I would perfer that they leave as much room as possible and go past on the plane , as I know that my tinny makes alot more of a wash @ 6knts than @ 20 especially when fully loaded with rods/pots etc !!

Jurkyjj
21-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I agree with post put up previous......snapper leads slow down more than the current.
I think that an 8oz might do the job really well!!!

Jason.

Razgo-
21-05-2010, 10:46 PM
they have to travel about a 1KM out of their way to go around me. different story in small creeks.

see images.

russ

Jurkyjj
21-05-2010, 11:02 PM
yup!!

8oz snapper lead will def do the job!!

Jason.

Fatenhappy
22-05-2010, 03:55 AM
It has happened 3 times so far. Sitting approx 25m from the rock wall golf course the always come past on the plane between me and the rocks!

why? am i missing something? the Brisbane River is REALLY WIDE!

the time before that i had a crab pot between me and the wall and a line out and they still came between me and the wall and that time i was only about 15m from the rocks!

they don't even slow down and are on the plane.

I don't get it?

russ

Probably the same sort of wa#kers that come past you in the dead of night with no position lights and then bitch when they get pulled up by the boys in blue ... or run around with no life jackets on their kids in a small tinnie etc etc .... rate right up there with Richard Henry would be my guess ...

Gippslander
26-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Well I only tailgate drivers on the highway who are going too slow! But I always slow down going past other boats. It is called etiquette.

Scalem
27-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Have a really thick line of around 100lb thrown in shallow so when you see them coming raise the line high up in the water so their prop catches it. Possible lesson for them is to unwind a few meters of line from around their prop shaft.

Scalem