PDA

View Full Version : Paper liscence - valid or not

Andrew M
20-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi Folks
Just a quick question, I got my boat licence back in 1988 & apart from laminating it, it has remained undesterbed in my wallet ever since. I have just checked the online search with QLD transport & could find no record of my licence. Can anyone tell me if it is still valid?

Cheers Andrew

STUIE63
20-05-2010, 12:00 PM
ring your local water police they should be able to help.

Alchemy
20-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Hi Folks
Just a quick question, I got my boat liscence back in 1988 & apart from laminating it, it has remained undesterbed in my wallet ever since. I have just checked the online search with QLD transport & could find no record of my liscence. Can anyone tell me if it is still valid?

Cheers Andrew

Thats a worry. I got mine back in 1984, but found that it was still valid when I did the on-line search.

robersl
20-05-2010, 12:03 PM
should still be valid just because it was paper does not mean it ran out( no renew date as far as i know) but i could be wrong when converted my father used to have a paper licence but mine is electronic you can get them put on your car licence when you renew the car licence

shane

on-one
20-05-2010, 12:08 PM
It should still still be valid, if you take it to one of their service centres they'll be able to update their database (and they'll probably try to get you to pay for a new plastic licence) - just don't lose your wallet in the meantime.

Dicko
20-05-2010, 12:13 PM
They were issued by the then Marine board of QLD as a lifetime licence and are valid for QLD transport. No problem.

Mine is 29 year old. I don't keep the original in my wallet any more as it's perishing. I have a photo copy instead.

Been pulled up for checks every now and then and they look at it and say no worries. When they look up my regular drivers licence the marine licence & a seperate jet ski licence are recorded against it anyway.

p.s, just looked at mine, on the bottom it says a copy of a lost or destroyed licence may be obtained on payment of $2.00. I should take them up on that. :grin:

finga
20-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Yep, the QLD paper ones never ran out of date.

Sandman
20-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I thought it was the responsability of the holder to ensure they have adapted and made the changes to keep up to date with the current laws eg no more paper licencing except a reciept? I was told they are valid however you are required by law to have RMDL on your drivers licence ?

Andrew M
20-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks guys, I think I will drop down to the transport department & get it added onto my licence, although in over 22 years of boating & fishing I have never been asked to produce it.

Cheers Andrew

goat boy
20-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I thought it was the responsability of the holder to ensure they have adapted and made the changes to keep up to date with the current laws eg no more paper licencing except a reciept? I was told they are valid however you are required by law to have RMDL on your drivers licence ?

I got my boat licence a couple of years ago and took the paper copy to a QLD transport office. As my drivers licence still had a few years left they said they wouldn't issue me a new one just for the marine addition, I'd just have to wait.
I was also informed by them I didn't have to keep the paper copy on me whilst in QLD waters (but that in NSW waters I did). I've been pulled over by the QLD water coppers a few times for their checks, never been asked to provide a licence either.

Marlin_Mike
20-05-2010, 03:41 PM
It is a "virtual" system now. It goes on your drivers license. Police just look you upon the system. I got my paper license in early 80's. Still got it, but its m arked n my license dont need to carry it.

Though as you said if you go interstate you need to produce it.
Mike

FNQCairns
20-05-2010, 04:21 PM
It is a "virtual" system now. It goes on your drivers license. Police just look you upon the system. I got my paper license in early 80's. Still got it, but its m arked n my license dont need to carry it.

Though as you said if you go interstate you need to produce it.
Mike

I still have my original 'explodes if it gets wet' paper licence but what does the typical queenslander do when boating interstate?

I guess it will not be a problem soon, Bligh wants us to have a licence that along with everything else contained on it probably has a field to enter the number of fillings in ones head!

Bowser
20-05-2010, 08:45 PM
I still have my old whole of life paper licence from 1980 and also have my notification of my driving licence renewal. On the renewal it states that I can do it on line unless:

You hold a current licence issued under the Transport Operations (Marine Safetey) Act 1994 (a marine licence) and you which to have the class of licence indicated on your drivers licence.

I choose not to do so on the, possibly mistaken, belief that it separates the 2 should I have any problems with points etc. I understand that they are linked electronically but if I put on my DL then it is also physically linked.

finga
20-05-2010, 09:05 PM
I still have my original 'explodes if it gets wet' paper licence but what does the typical queenslander do when boating interstate?
You can go and get a letter stating you have a license to operate a boat.
Mine is encased in one of those plastic laminating envelopes and lives on the boat at Evans Head.

Dean1
20-05-2010, 09:09 PM
My 'paper' licence is 18yrs old now and its funny as ive never had to show it either.

Interesting reading this here, I have always been lead to believe that the paper ones are fine, but the day you lose it you have to replace it with the modern plastic ones and renew as you go..

PinHead
20-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I was advised to check that my old paper license had been transferred to the virtual registry..cost a couple of bucks online and printed out that I do have one.
verification at :

https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/marinelicenceverification/MlvWelcome.jsp

Bros
20-05-2010, 09:40 PM
I had a paper licence in 1970's and I had long lost it but when they said you could link it to your drivers licence , I went in and they found it on the database and linked it and gave me a new paper copy for nothing.

ssab1
21-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Yep, the QLD paper ones never ran out of date.
I got my first one in 1976, Qld transport did not have a record of it, to get it from archives was going to be more costly than re sitting so I redid my boating and jetski"nobody fails" . In saying that if you have a copy of paper licence you should be right as they can track it easier, from my point they wanted testing officer etc how they hell was I supposed to remember over 30years.cheers alex

Reel Blue
22-05-2010, 08:06 AM
A mate of mine has a paper licence and recently was renewing his drivers licence. Qld transport had no record of it online and he has been told to start all over and re-apply, including doing the practical test. He was furious, but to no avail. I got mine in 1990 and started to worry if I was properly licenced so I got online and for five dollars checked to see if I am on the system. Thankfully I was.

I would be checking if you don't know as I wonder if there would be a problem in the case of an accident if there was no record of someones licence?

Marlin_Mike
22-05-2010, 08:13 AM
A mate of mine has a paper licence and recently was renewing his drivers licence. Qld transport had no record of it online and he has been told to start all over and re-apply, including doing the practical test. He was furious, but to no avail. I got mine in 1990 and started to worry if I was properly licenced so I got online and for five dollars checked to see if I am on the system. Thankfully I was.

I would be checking if you don't know as I wonder if there would be a problem in the case of an accident if there was no record of someones licence?

If he still has the original copy of the paper license, it shouldnt be a proble. I cant see why they made him do it all again.

Mike

Horse
22-05-2010, 09:00 AM
I got my first one in 1976, Qld transport did not have a record of it, to get it from archives was going to be more costly than re sitting so I redid my boating and jetski"nobody fails" . In saying that if you have a copy of paper licence you should be right as they can track it easier, from my point they wanted testing officer etc how they hell was I supposed to remember over 30years.cheers alex

Same thing here. I was heading to NSW and was told to make sure you had a copy and had lost the paper copy back in 1978. They had no record of it and as it was done in Gladestone they would have to do a manual microfish search. It was faster and cheaper to start from scratch. I was not a happy chappy but sat the course again and was really disapointed in the low practical requirements the candidates were put through. 5 minutes behind the wheel of Archies platey driving up the River and you are a qualified skipper. For f#$%s sake no wonder we have so many idiots on the water

If you no longer have your paper copy then you can go and get a free copy from the dept of transport........ if they can find it

Dean1
22-05-2010, 09:07 AM
I just did the $5 online check.. Seems fine. I clicked on the 'display certificate' tab and it says yes for marine licence held.. This right??

Mine is looking shabby but i covered it in clear contact some years back.

Was copping a hammering in my wallet..

ssab1
22-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Same thing here. I was heading to NSW and was told to make sure you had a copy and had lost the paper copy back in 1978. They had no record of it and as it was done in Gladestone they would have to do a manual microfish search. It was faster and cheaper to start from scratch. I was not a happy chappy but sat the course again and was really disapointed in the low practical requirements the candidates were put through. 5 minutes behind the wheel of Archies platey driving up the River and you are a qualified skipper. For f#$%s sake no wonder we have so many idiots on the water

If you no longer have your paper copy then you can go and get a free copy from the dept of transport........ if they can find it

thanks mate I was starting to think it was only me, obviously when they did the transfers to the new system( as usual for the transport dept) they messed up . Unfortunately for those of us whose licences got wet and faded we could not confirm that we held licences(probably some of the most competent on the water 30yrs practical experience) they make a resit a course that was less testing than the original. makes you wonder if the MSQ and transport dept are merely clubs for the mentally challenged.cheers alex

Bill_Corten
22-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Guys

I worked in the Marine Board area of Harbours and Marine and then what became the marine area Qld Transport after the amalgamation in 1988. It is a well known fact that the external CITEC licence data recording of speed boat drivers licences as they were known then was corrupted with a virus or whatever and there were many instances of licence holder details leaking permanently out of the system. Major work then went into a good system to record and manage boat licence data but many of the former systems licence holder details were gone and it was up to individuals who were seeking a replacement licence to provide more specific details of testing officer, location and time period. Those who had sufficient verifiable info were reissued licence documents.
For anyone who still has their old original paper licence but their details are not on the system, it is my understanding you will be added to the existing marine licence database after you front up to a QT customer service centre with your original.
Mind you the service at these areas leaves a lot to be desired and you may need to stick to your guns and be assertive.
At least the marine licence is still perpetual. The greedy buggers in the non marine part of Transport that manage all regos and licences even had a serious look at a renewable marine licence but it was all too hard for them at the time and the concept died there.
Hope this helps.

Cheers
Bill

Reel Blue
22-05-2010, 11:09 AM
My mate had his original with him at a QT Service Centre. His original even has the QT logos on it. The woman he dealt with didn't budge and said she couldn't place the marine coverage on his new drivers licence. I did suggest to him that he should ask to speak with someone else. This is a fact; this happened only a few weeks ago.

tunaticer
22-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Check your drivers licences, there should be an "RMDL" on the licence to indicate marine licence as well. I did not opt for this at all, simply noticed the boat licence was transferred to the drivers licence at the last renewal. I got my paper licence on Nov 26 1985 and its now all but disintegrated in my wallet after all these years.

Willow1
23-05-2010, 07:56 AM
I got my paper licence in the 80's and somehow lost it while out in the bay in the 90's. Went to the Dept Transport to get another copy and they said it was already linked to my drivers licence now and they dont issue paper ones anymore once it is linked to the drivers licence. I would still have liked to have had a copy of the original as a lot of things go mysteriously missing when electronic.