PDA

View Full Version : Surf rod stripper/1st guide size?

4x4frog
19-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Looking at building a med surf rod for an upcoming trip to Fraser in July.
Just going to use a seconds blank as I don't get up that way very often and use my 2pce 14ft surf rod as it's easier to transport. Most likely will go with cork grip too, just to be different.
Using Alvey 651C5 reel & 15lb line.
I have read recently that the knowledge these days is to use a high mount medium diameter guide and not the huge hoola-hoop sized rings of old. AM I correct?
Read a bit about Fuji HVSG 40 as the first /stripper guide then 5 others down to the tip. i will go with something like this if I can find the Fujis.
Fuji site only lists a HVSG guide in 30 as the largest. Are the 40 still available or have they been out of production for too long?

theoldlegend
22-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Looking at building a med surf rod for an upcoming trip to Fraser in July.
Just going to use a seconds blank as I don't get up that way very often and use my 2pce 14ft surf rod as it's easier to transport. Most likely will go with cork grip too, just to be different.
Using Alvey 651C5 reel & 15lb line.

I have read recently that the knowledge these days is to use a high mount medium diameter guide and not the huge hoola-hoop sized rings of old. AM I correct?
Read a bit about Fuji HVSG 40 as the first /stripper guide then 5 others down to the tip. i will go with something like this if I can find the Fujis.
Fuji site only lists a HVSG guide in 30 as the largest. Are the 40 still available or have they been out of production for too long?

Chris,

I don't think I could hold on to a 651 C5 for too long on the beach. I've got one loaded with 500 metres of 50lb Platypus Platinum and boy it's heavy!

I'm interested about the change in thinking re the hula hoop stripper guide. I bought an old Wilson 13'6" Sea Coaster plus a 6" Alvey for the princely sum of $5 some time back and am thinking about putting new guides on it.

Don't want to spend too much though as the capital outlay for the combo was a bit much.

TOL

wayno60
22-05-2010, 09:09 AM
I think the whole idea of the hula hoop is that you gradually bring down the size of the loop coming of the 6in alvey down to your first runner (40mm).
If you had the 40 where the hula hoop would be you will restrict the distance you can cast.

Stuart
22-05-2010, 09:42 PM
The Fuji 40 will in fact increase distance and quite some at that. I have been building rods for a billion years and have always used a 40 high frame stripper guide, that also includes my surf rods. I have also done much testing on the football oval using several size frames and the 40 high frame always comes up with more distance and fare less line slap on the blank.

Stu

RFARREN
23-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Yep stu is spot on
A 40 i bit farther up the rod will increase distance and reduce line slap on the blank
"and the hoola-hoop wire guides look like sh!t !"

grave41
24-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Stu and RFARREN are correct thats why japanese rods use low riders.
The fuji 40hh in silicon will be hard to find new although i have some.I will check how many i need and message back.
graham

4x4frog
26-05-2010, 10:23 AM
The Fuji 40 will in fact increase distance and quite some at that. I have been building rods for a billion years and have always used a 40 high frame stripper guide, that also includes my surf rods. I have also done much testing on the football oval using several size frames and the 40 high frame always comes up with more distance and fare less line slap on the blank.

Stu
Thanks Stuart, that's the guidence I was after. It's good to get real experience speaking.
I am thinking now, just to swap the stripper on the 2 piece rod for a 40HVSG, if I can find one.
The Fuji site doesn't list them, the 30 being the largest they list. I may well remove the smaller stripper I used on my 10ft6 light surf rod and replace that with a 30 whilst i am at it too.
Tackle W/H or Mossops should have some.

TOL, I didn't think the drag reel was that different in weight to the 650A5 mate. It's actually an antique my dad used with a 13ft6 rangoon rod 40 years ago. You could hang a brick of the end of one of those old cane rods and not even feel the difference;D
Am tossing up getting a 650A5 handle and tapping the original handle axle and fitting it so I have the fast retrieve like the new reels. (tight arse from way back)

Edit
Woohoo.
OK, spoke to one of the guys at Tackle Warehouse and I have a 40 and 30 BHVLG on order, arriving late this week hopefully. Not HVSG but close enough for mug fishers like me.