PDA

View Full Version : no braid charter boat?

reggy
18-05-2010, 10:50 PM
hi guys
made some inquiries about going on a bottom fishing charter in Exmouth, WA.
They said you can bring your own gear, but no braid.
huh?????

BR65
18-05-2010, 10:57 PM
mite mean the deckie has to get off his bum, or put down the rod he's working.
some charters like all the punters to be using the same gear inc sinker size, to minimize potential tangles.

trueblue
18-05-2010, 11:23 PM
it minimises the tangles - don't get excited, lots of charters say that.....

nothing worse that braid being fished amongst mono

GPB
19-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Except fishing Mono amongst Braid :wink:

Scott nthQld
19-05-2010, 11:19 AM
yeah that's all it'd be, just avoiding the arseholle tangles that braid makes so much worse. and yess, everyone using uniform rigs and gear makes the likelyhood of tangles less

SeaHunt
19-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Where are you reggy and when are you going..
I 've got a wedding to go to in Exmouth, fishing charter was on the list of things to do while there.. Be interested in any feedback if you go.
And yes I know it is slightly off topic..

reggy
19-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Where are you reggy and when are you going..
I 've got a wedding to go to in Exmouth, fishing charter was on the list of things to do while there.. Be interested in any feedback if you go.
And yes I know it is slightly off topic..
In Exmouth now. Went on the charter today and took my tld Star 20/40 with 30 lb mono and had a great time. Even caught a couple of species I have not seen before.
O`Brien charters, great skipper and deckie. Just a day trip bottom fishing, all I had time for, but you can do anything, fishing wise here.
Broome is next.

Just_chips
20-05-2010, 12:40 PM
If I was fishing heavy braid in amongst a group of 10 mono fishos on board a charter and there was a good tangle in the lines, I would give a few good sharp jigs on the line and try to cut through the mono. This would probably result in a lot of lost gear on the mono but would keep me fishing no problems.

Also some hard core reef fisho's still do not like braid, the lack of stretch can pull hooks from mouths on bigger fish and many believe dropping a large fish can put a whole school off the bite, particularly with Red Emperor.

Kev

Platitudinus
22-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey Reggy;
I use braid on charters all the time to keep AWAY from the idiot tourists and mono fishers, however I usually fish a floatline well away from the bottom bashers.

If its a big charter, say 10+, then you aint going to catch any quality fish anyway with 10+ leads and double hooks disturbing the bottom together under the boat. Get well away from them (50m to100m+) with a floater and weight it according to what you want to catch i.e go a bit heavier for bottom sitting species and a bit lighter to drift it in the bottom 10m of water. I use this effectively in water depths to 90m which means by the time you hit bottom you will be at least 120m away from the bottom bashers.

You can even put a livie on - cast well out - without tangling up the others as by the time you know a fish is on and get a good run, any decent skipper will ask the others to wind up!

I know you are in WA but I haven't heard of any charters around the Gold Coast that dont let you use braid on float lines and we get a hell of a lot of fishos out from here!
Cheers
Plato.

Jurkyjj
22-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I wonder if they will ever run a charter with NO MONO!!!

Just a thought as I failed to catch as many fish with mono as i do with braid.

Thoughts?

Jason.

Jarrah Jack
24-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Be prepared to lose a heap of gear there. There are all sorts of monsters ready to bust you off on the coral. The deckies work pretty hard on those boats.

Steve B
24-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I wonder if they will ever run a charter with NO MONO!!!

Just a thought as I failed to catch as many fish with mono as i do with braid.

Thoughts?

Jason.

Jason,

The charter mob at Evans Heads uses all braid...on big alveys...often fishing 80m of water....it works well too..most reels have different colours from memory, so any tangles (and there was very few) were sorted pretty quick.

Cheers Steve

reggy
25-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Jason,

The charter mob at Evans Heads uses all braid...on big alveys...often fishing 80m of water....it works well too..most reels have different colours from memory, so any tangles (and there was very few) were sorted pretty quick.

Cheers Steve
Yes, the few trips I have done to the Swains had about half mono and half braid users with very little trouble, but, as they say, "when in Rome"

snodger 08
26-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Just came back from SA where the charter uses nothing but braid. But get this. Just me & the Mrs on board and he didn't want me using plastics?????????

bentleyd
07-06-2010, 07:02 PM
If I was fishing heavy braid in amongst a group of 10 mono fishos on board a charter and there was a good tangle in the lines, I would give a few good sharp jigs on the line and try to cut through the mono. This would probably result in a lot of lost gear on the mono but would keep me fishing no problems.

Also some hard core reef fisho's still do not like braid, the lack of stretch can pull hooks from mouths on bigger fish and many believe dropping a large fish can put a whole school off the bite, particularly with Red Emperor.

Kev

Tha attitude must make you a joy to have on a fishing trip.
Dave

Chamelion
11-06-2010, 08:32 PM
yeah that's all it'd be, just avoiding the arseholle tangles that braid makes so much worse. and yess, everyone using uniform rigs and gear makes the likelyhood of tangles less

When we went out on "In the Black" last year it was ALL braid and we couldn't have had more than a few tangles all day and all were dealt with quickly by the deckie. Without any crankiness from him either...

Perhaps the skipper and deckie were a whole lot less useless than most run of the mill charter operators?

sleepygreg
13-06-2010, 12:53 AM
There was only one tangle that day Matt....and if i remember correctly....another outfit was placed in each of the customers hands while the deckie sorted it out.