PDA

View Full Version : getting my boy use to the boat

michael m
15-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Didn't know where to put this
I am after some where quite to lauch my boat to get my boy use to the water around caboolture area that there is not much current or that is not that deep just in cause.
I have only a 3.7 metre boat
cheers for any ideas
Michael

michael m
15-05-2010, 03:25 PM
my boy is only 2 years old also

Chimo
15-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Hi Michael

Let him play in it on the trailer in your yard to get him used to his suroundings.

Hook the muffs up to the motor or better still drop it into a drum to muffle the exhaust as it would be on the water and run it at idle and see how he takes to the noise. Do that a few times before you hit the creek and dont make the first runs long.

No good getting onto the water and him being unsure of his suroundings and affraid of the motor noise.

Gently gently catchee monkee or so they say.....

Now all I need is the right drug so I can do the same with my other half.

Cheers
Chimo

Prowl n Wolf
15-05-2010, 05:10 PM
g'day michael, beachmere has a pretty quiet boat ramp and theres plenty of sand banks at the mouth of caboolture river to get him used to banking and launching. regards, tony.

michael m
15-05-2010, 06:10 PM
hi guys
he loves playing in the boat when i have the motor going and stuff.
I had him out when he was younger, loved it when we was going but when we stopped that when the water works started.
just want to simple and get him use to it and maybe last longer on the water than before.
Michael

Bear001
15-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Not much help - but just reminded me, I have photo's of when I was a toddler and we didnt have lifejackets to fit me....mum & dad would tie a rope around my waist and sit me in the floor of the 12ft tinny when we went for a fish up the river...lol.........I used to get into lots of trouble for tying all the worms into knots...lmao

Waraba Mick
15-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Hi michael,

Meldale is worth a look, single lane concrete ramp straight into Elimbah creek, mostly shallow water ( 2 to 5 foot) not too much boat traffic and plenty of sand banks if things go wrong.

Mick.

Bill_V
16-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi Michael,

I too have a 2 1/2 year old boy and I started taking him out in the boat about 6 months ago. Best advice I can give is make the trips pretty short the first few times as little ones get bored quickly.

He now loves going out in the boat and asks me to get out the boat regularly. Good times. We haven't started him on fishing yet but we will when he gets a little bigger.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Bill

smashed crabs
16-05-2010, 10:32 PM
This is my young bloke Declan we call him Decky , loves the boat's and fishing . Got him into it as early as i could (just after he was born), give him the helm and he is Captain SeriousO.
Now he is five and has no fear and bloody keeps me on me toes i can tell ya !

Im a firm believer in teaching my kids life skills from an early age , better chance of keeping em on a good path i reckon.

Im very proud of me young bloke and me girls for the way they took to boating, good happy feeling all way round , words can't decribe how much of a proud dad i am.
Now if only i could get the ratbag out of them that they get from their mum :grin:

Anyway here's a photo of my young bloke Decky to show ya young fella

Cheers
Smashed Crabs

robersl
17-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi Michael there is the new ramp up the top of roys rd near the mouth of coochin creek fairly shallow around there and plenty of sand at low tide i hope the lad enjoys his fishing as others has said they get bored quick if no action put some crayons and books in ect for him to keep active

shane

michael m
17-05-2010, 09:54 AM
thanks guys.
michael

samsnap
17-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Bribie Passage is always a good day out - pull up on a decent sandbank - have an explore - pump a few yabbies - take off again - pull up at the VMR ramp get an ice cream :) take off - have a fish - have a look up the canal at the rich & famous - heaps to explore bit by bit :) Cheers Sammy

boatymum
28-05-2010, 05:16 PM
hi michael, I have had my daughter out in the boat since she was about 4 1/2 months old. She was 2 in April. She has her own fishing rod and that usually keeps her happy, but I also take some toys for her and a few snacks that she likes. If she gets really restless we just pull up on a riverbank and let her have a run around. She will happily get back in the boat again after that. I have a 4.2m quintrex, so not a huge boat.

major-defect
31-05-2010, 06:23 AM
We started ta king our girls out from birth[now teenagers].Like some of the others said letting them off for a run around or a swim is the go.The girls love it and nag me to go out.My wife and girls beach launch the boat themselves and head out.