PDA

View Full Version : What to power the 7.5 Noble with???

Captain Seaweed
14-05-2010, 07:26 PM
I am planning to bolt on a 300hp Etec. I have seen the videos, i have heard the talk. Now please convince me of something different.

Cheers
Marty

Chimo
14-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Marty

As your looking at about $34,000 minimum you could also consider a diesel such as a Yanmar 6BY260 Z which weighs 315kg vs 243kg for the 300HP Etec. You would save weight with a smaller fuel tank or go the same big unit and you can travel to NZ!

The diesel puts out 260HP at 4000rpm and Yanmar have their own twin prop setup to bolt on to it. In a Caribbean 24 the yanmar returned 28kn at 3200 for 32lt per hr, what your looking at would probably get even better figures.

I'll check out the Yanmar price if i can dig it up. Looks to be about $36 or 37K
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/engine-reviews/2007/yanmars-sixcylinder-diesel-sterndrives-9782

Cheers
Chimo

Finnatical
Nothing against Etecs as I have not owned one, but if you are thinking of something else, I have a pair of DF300 Suzukis on my boat and can't speak highly enough of them. They are quiet, economical (well for that much power anyway) and fairly light given the capacity etc. They can swing a big prop and have heaps of power and mid range torque.

Servicing is not cheap, but not sure how many guys are actually running their Etecs for 300hrs before touching them anyway - I certainly wouldn't be.

You will get a million different opinions on this topic and really you can't go wrong with any of the major players, be that DI two stroke or four stroke. Good to see you are thinking max power though as it is always better to have more than less!

Good luck with the decision and the build of the new boat.

marty+jojo
Hey Marty, if that is what you want, go for it. No doubt you have done your research. I would get one. I love the grunt of a 2 stroke, the simplicity of them and the weight saving on the transom, not to mention the saving in servicing costs compared to a 4 stroke.
Here we go again...
Marty.

Mister
14-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Forget the stern drives, waste of space and weight, save the weight and if this is a serious boat then don't waste your time with a single engine either.

robothefisho
14-05-2010, 08:33 PM
I like your 2 stroke thinking, as I think they are the only proper boat engines. However I would go 4 stroke purely for resale value. If you want the almost 2 stroke like power, consider a verado. I know I was pretty impressed by a 250hp model. In saying that, do what YOU will be happy with. Also the twin rig is a great idea for extra stability.

murf
14-05-2010, 09:07 PM
good luck on that decision :cheesy:

IMO if you like the smell of Two strokes in the morning haha

so they use 15/20% more fuel than a 4str ???:undecided: manufacturers specs

are 30 to 120kg lighter than 4str

are noisier and vibrate more? but I have never heard a big one other than ski racing where noise makes it better

I've got a small 4 stroke and can't / won't go back to oil burners, just my opinion

cheers Murf

Skusto
15-05-2010, 05:45 PM
to be honest we have a 150etec and if we got a bigger boat mate we wouldnt throw a etec on the back it would be back to the 4 stroke we use about 6 bottles know to 120 hours, im not sure how much more the 300 etec would chew but i would think it would be a bit, ozbee i think had one. i think a 300 zuk would be my pick as how much oil it could use would concern me? the etec is touchy as well if not set up right the 150 use to chew alot more oil then it does know we had to lift it another hole and changed the prop for alot better oil consumption. my advice would be to go 4stroke and not look back for that size motor.

Captain Seaweed
15-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Skusto,
I was thinking the same thing today. The oil is about $70 / bottle I think which would add up. I am having a look at the new yamaha's due to be released also. I am also concerned about vibration from a 2 stroke and also noise. I had DPI pull up the other day with Suzi's and couldnt hear them running, very impressed!! I wish I could sit all the reps down with a heap of beers and see them have it out answering all the hyped up questions and being able to sort through the shit there and then.

Cheers
Marty

Captain Seaweed
15-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I must say though, I have really been looked after by Paul from Logan River Marine who has given me a lot of insight into the etec and is good to talk to about them.

Cheers
Marty

insideout
15-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Mate , i think if you are going to go places, twin setup is the go, but if you are just going to do the 100kms offshore thing every now and then, single.
I will always say that you cannot beat twins, costs more, sure, but you have twice the chance of getting home( on time at least...:rolleyes: )

At the moment im running a single and a VMR membership....

Captain Seaweed
15-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks insideout. I just sold a twin rig and I will look into a twin set up. i did like the reassurance of twins and also the torque. Fuuel costs were up though. Anyone have fuel stats on twin 150 4 strokes?
Marty

insideout
15-05-2010, 06:13 PM
I had twin 140 suzis on my last kc, and they ran at about 38 ltrs p/h cruising... I too, would love to know statics for the 150 suzuki, for i would like to upgrade too.

Captain Seaweed
15-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Is that 38L/hr per motor or combined?

insideout
15-05-2010, 06:54 PM
combined, but if you ran a single engine with say, 280 hp i believe it would be quite a bit more

jake0
15-05-2010, 06:57 PM
300 yam or a 300 verado would go sweet

Spaniard_King
15-05-2010, 07:01 PM
CS,

Twin 150 hondas on a 680 patriot was returning 1l/ per klm for 2 engines on an average trip of 150klm with a top speed of 80klm/hr

Captain Seaweed
15-05-2010, 07:08 PM
I agree

So far I have the following info

Yami 150- 2670cc 224kg
yami 300-5.3L 373kg

Suzuki 150 2867cc, 220kg
Suzuki 300 4028cc, 279kg

Etec 150- 2589cc 194kg
Etec 300-3.4L 242kg

It appears the Suzuki has a bigger bore and is lighter than all 150hp. Am I right? If I was going a 300hp then Yami definitely has bigger displacement but heavier? And once again Suzi has bigger displacement than the etec but is lighter than the yami.

It seems like the war is between suzi and yami leaning more towards suzi for displacement.

Please let me know your substantiated input.

Marty

Captain Seaweed
15-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Spaniard King (got a big spanish today too actually!!!) anyway off the topic, I had twin 115 ocean pro carby 2 strokes on the Sefairy and it also ran 1km/l. Thanks for your reply. What are service costs of the Hondas?

Marty

Spaniard_King
15-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Marty,

Every 100 hrs

change the engine oil,filter and gear oil. every 400 add plugs and fuel filters.

I have 2 x 150s coming up in june/july with 300hrs and 3 3/4 years warranty left... I have interest in them so PM me with your contact details if you want a crack at them.

Captain Seaweed
15-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks Spaniard King.

Jarrah Jack
15-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey there Captain Seaweed

There is an article on the seamedia web site about a number of big platies that did the trip around the Kimberleys. They talk about the fuel use and performance of the various setups. Can't remember exactly what they were but there were mainly 4 strokes duel and single setups.

Good story too.

Cheers

megafish71
15-05-2010, 08:24 PM
For me the only reason it wouldn't be a 300 Verado is if it was a 350 Verado.
Undoubtedly the quietest big hp engine on the market. I am averaging 1.3kpl with a 275hp verado on a 7.2mtr platey and the power steering makes docking and driving the boat onto the trailer a breeze.

Cheers Ron

Finnatical
15-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I can only speak about my experience with Suzuki 4 strokes but it might be of interest to you though....

Last boat was a KC2400 with twin 140's. Used 1.2-1.3 klms to the litre (combined) day in day out. I didn't have fuel flow gauges so can't say exactly what it was using at certain rev ranges. What I did find of interest though, which has since been backed in an F&B article where they gave accurate fuel figures for their plate cat with 140's, was that it made very little difference what revs you ran at between around 3500 to around 4800-5000 when looking at klms to the litre - it was very close so not worth holding back the throttles if the conditions allowed.

With my new boat, which is a KC3000 with twin 300's, they are averaging around 0.75 to 0.8 klm to the litre (combined) depending on load and conditions etc. On a big day trolling those numbers get slightly better - although the motors are still very new and very tight so am hoping for a little better when they loosen up.

From what I have heard from guys running twin 150's (on cats admittedly) they are getting around 1klm to the litre on average, some slightly better. Not to mention no oil usage.

Depending on who does your service on a four stroke and how many hours it has done for that service you would be looking at anywhere from $350 to $450 each give or take.

Hope this helps.

gofishin
15-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Marty, depending on timing for you boat, Yam will have their new V6 300 out very soon - June or July I think. A lot lighter than their current 250, and I think lighter than the 300 zuke.

For me their current V8 300, would be out. Too heavy, and all that weight is up high too.

Single - blue, black, (new) grey 300. All would be great.
Twins - more to choose from

Happy decision making!
cheers

...KC3000 with twin 300's, they are averaging around 0.75 to 0.8 klm to the litre (combined) depending on load and conditions etc...They're bloody good numbers with 600 horses on the back of a decent cat, considering it's still new too!

Marty, 12 - 18 months ago F&B also did performance comparison tests on two identical 685 Explorers, one with an F250 and the other with 2 x F115's. Slightly less HP than you are looking at, but probably similar boat weight. From memory:

at cruise - similar performance, near identical fuel consumption
WOT - single of course had more top end (less drag & slightly more HP)
grip & 'zap' of the twins was understandably fantasticIf you are thinking twins, and '300' is the right power for a single rig, then I would also be seriously considering 2 x 140 zukes. 'Supposedly' a little light-on in HP (from the sticker) but a fantastic engine and very light.
cheers

iqarus
15-05-2010, 11:35 PM
I must say though, I have really been looked after by Paul from Logan River Marine who has given me a lot of insight into the etec and is good to talk to about them.

Cheers
Marty

paul's a good bloke, certainly knows his stuff :thumbsup:

skipper07
16-05-2010, 06:34 AM
I think you would be crazy to put a 300 on a 7.5m Noble. If your going to be using the boat for 90% offshore work then a 250 would be the max I would use.

I would imagine the 7.5 hull would come in around the 1300kg weight? No need for this kind of HP. I have seen mono hulls both glass and plate that have suffered from having excess motors/hp on the back.

I would save the extra money and put it into radar, good elctronics instead of wasted hp that really you are never going to use.

Captain Seaweed
16-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Just found out transom is set up for a single motor, therefore it will be one of the big 300's unless someone brings out a light 350. I have always been one for horsepower. A few times I have towed mates back in and had no worries. I would prefer to be over than under powered.
If any of the dealers are reading this , contact me as I have the money ready to spend, Its either an Etec, Suzi 300 or ?????

Marty

hakuna
17-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Spaniard King (got a big spanish today too actually!!!) anyway off the topic, I had twin 115 ocean pro carby 2 strokes on the Sefairy and it also ran 1km/l. Thanks for your reply. What are service costs of the Hondas?

Marty

I get .5 to .8lt/km combined for twin 115 suz 4's on 7m goldstar, top speed 75km/h
My vote would be for twins on boats of that size if you have the $
at sea you use one most of the time drifting or trolling, less fuel usage and the safety factor
and of course the hum sounds great

cheers

TheRealAndy
17-05-2010, 08:55 AM
I would buy a merc or suzuki personally. Why? Because thats the motors that cunninghams sell, and they are close to me and have the best service out of all the local dealers. Choosing the out of the 2 I would go suzuki, but thats onlt because I have had great success with suzi and found the merc quality to be a little less than suzi.

Chimo
17-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Hi marty

Just noticed that your boat is already built so forget about the diesel which no doubt you did already!

You cannot beat HP so get the biggest for the least money with the best service close to you. Simple really.

Cheers
Chimo

Broomey
18-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Marty,

First thing is to check max HP ratting for the 7.5, think you'll find its only rated to max 250HP, :shocked: as your Boat already built could be too late to be putting on a 300 as transom may not be able to handle it, only my 2 cents worth.
Personally I agree with Skipper 07,:wink: unless you only go out in glass off conditions you'll rarely be able to use all that extra HP anyway :cry:

Broomey

Captain Seaweed
20-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Verado 300? Looked good at the Sanctuary Cove show today, good sales people also made sense what they had to say. The top points they made:

-Mercury only make marine engines, this is their market without a good product there is no business.
-The whole motor is accessable once top covers are removed
-If a fault occurs the motor will run through a series of user checks to perform to try and rectify fault.
-supercharger and engine respond to demand, eg increased power as you power over swell
--Cruise control
-Lock in troll speeds and increase in increments
-One key turn and motor turns over until it starts no need to hold key on .
-Motor is easy to work on
-Colour guages with great features, better that i command (etec)
-Good quality hydro steering supplied
-No real recurring warranty problems such as blown power heads, injector problems
-Great Torque figures
-No oil required

I did have it narrowed down to the following:
Yami, Etec and Mercury

Anything here you dont agree with or have to add to. I spoke to yamaha about the new v6 300 but they didnt have any info or prices. Infact there was NO ONE at the Sanctuary Cove boat show to talk about anything bigger than a 100hp????WTF.

Looking forward to your pro's and cons's

Marty

murf
20-05-2010, 06:03 PM
big motor mate :smiley:

I keep thinking too (without the facts) is 300hp too big? seems like a lot of motor on that hull

cheers Murf

indy
20-05-2010, 06:23 PM
My brother has a 7.4 noble and has a 225 honda on the back and that is plenty he is getting around 75klm out of it why would you want to go faster than that on water unless its a glass out which lets face it dosn't happen all that often. Also max hp is 250 hp so i think if you go 300 hp you will have no insurance unless now that noble international has changed all that.

cheers pete...

Captain Seaweed
20-05-2010, 06:41 PM
The transom is rated to 300hp. I confirm the hull is also definitely rated to 300hp as per conversation with Jason Lee today at the boat show and confirmed by email. For your info fellas the Pirtek fishing the edge Noble 685 is running a 300hp. I have always been a fan of chine walking!!:grin:

So what are your thoughts on the Verado?

Marty

goona
20-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Hi Cap Seaweed, I am Indys brother with the 7.4 and 225 Honda. Pleanty enough power there for me. Fully loaded with just under 400lt of fuel, Ice bait, 4 blokes on board and I and going a very comfortable speed at 4300 rpm. Returning about 1lt per klm. Very happy with the set up and to be honest it is very rare that I want more power, say 1 in 10 trips when it is glassed out but then I just up the revs to 5000 and away you go.

Goona

Captain Seaweed
20-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks Goona, I will look into it more, it would be a saving too.

soulfish
20-05-2010, 07:34 PM
marty i have a 250 verado & love it dont live far from you if you want a test drive easy done send me a pm

cheers jason

Captain Seaweed
20-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Does a test drive include a fishing trip?!!!

soulfish
20-05-2010, 07:48 PM
No worries but tied up with work & weddings the next few weekends can give ya a quick verado demo anytime though,i keep her on an air berth.

Flex
20-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Also check into actual HP ratings v stated for each brand
Outboard manufacturers have a 10% allowance for ratings. At 300hp you may find one brand is 270hp and the other is closer to 330,and many in between.

So both rated at 300hp, yet there could be as much as 60hp difference.Thats at the extreme end, but its worthwhile checking

A good example is the suzuki 140hp compared to 150hp yamaha.Alot of people often choose between these 2 as a power plant. Yet the 140zuk only puts out 127hp and the 150yam puts 162hp.

So on paper its only 10hp, but in realisty is 35hp.

megafish71
21-05-2010, 06:48 AM
The transom is rated to 300hp. I confirm the hull is also definitely rated to 300hp as per conversation with Jason Lee today at the boat show and confirmed by email. For your info fellas the Pirtek fishing the edge Noble 685 is running a 300hp. I have always been a fan of chine walking!!:grin:

So what are your thoughts on the Verado?

Marty

You wont be disapointed with a Verado, the little things like power steering and silky smooth DTS, not to mention the quiet. If you haven't been for a run on a boat with a Verado you in for a treat. Also be sure to check out http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/ Heaps of info there and Glen who runs the site is always good help.

Cheers Ron

chop duster
21-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Have had a 250 verado for 5 years 750 hours.
Would be a verado again if it came to it.
Whats the price diff. between the 275 or 250 and the 300hp?
I'm sure either of the smaller hp will do...
Take soulfish up on his offer, i'm sure it will make up your mind...

Also, who services mercury in your area? good reputation?
When in warranty we were able to perfom oil changes etc.. ourselves and get the dealer to just check the computer and perform critical tasks. Saves on servicing costs. Now out of warranty, we perform all the maintenance excluding checking the computer... as the rep said, all thiings are easily accessible to work on.

TimiBoy
21-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Verado Verado Verado. Sorry I can't give you a test drive on my 250, I sold it. The guys who bought have tried everything, and it blew them away.

I've always been convinced she was pulling more than 250 horses, and the Merc folks reckon they use most of the 10% fudge they are allowed. Bung on a 300, pick up 320 horses of quiet, torquey beast and enjoy all the adds like power steering, fly by wire and smartcraft.

Once you've had black, you'll never go back! Plenty of folks rode Bubi, and all were impressed.

If I buy a petrol powered machine next time, it will have V-Rods. Without a doubt.

Cheers,

Tim

murf
21-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Verado Verado Verado. Sorry I can't give you a test drive on my 250, I sold it. The guys who bought have tried everything, and it blew them away.

I've always been convinced she was pulling more than 250 horses, and the Merc folks reckon they use most of the 10% fudge they are allowed. Bung on a 300, pick up 320 horses of quiet, torquey beast and enjoy all the adds like power steering, fly by wire and smartcraft.

Once you've had black, you'll never go back! Plenty of folks rode Bubi, and all were impressed.

If I buy a petrol powered machine next time, it will have V-Rods. Without a doubt.

Cheers,

Tim

I was wondering when your nose was going to poke in here :tongue: so you would go up to the 300 then Tim? or are you just pissed because the Flamin Riptide left you for dead haha

cheers Murf

ozscott
21-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Good on you mate for getting stuck into the HP...I would be dry humping a 300hp outboard...what a great piece of kit in any make. I saw some loony revving the crap out of a 250hp/300hp (cant recall) ETEC in a video on muffs, setting aside that it was imbecilic it sounded illegally good...can imagine how a 300 would sound.

Cheers

chop duster
21-05-2010, 03:26 PM
you mean a riptide left a cruisecraft in its wake?

Jabba_
21-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Marty.. The Verado is awesome, listen to the guys that own them... The V Rod is a torque monster, and a 300 on your rig would make you poop your pants. acceleration is crazy

dfox
21-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I was wondering when your nose was going to poke in here :tongue: so you would go up to the 300 then Tim? or are you just pissed because the Flamin Riptide left you for dead haha

cheers Murf

Was that at 1770 murf !:grin: ... foxy

Captain Seaweed
21-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Foxy are you coming up?

TimiBoy
21-05-2010, 09:05 PM
you mean a riptide left a cruisecraft in its wake?

Now listen you bastards, let's get this into perspective, huh?

We had no clears and it was fairly rough. The Riptide could handle a bucket over the bows, but we had to be careful. That's the first point.

Second? I had no tabs on the CC. With the tabs on (level playing field) that Riptide was toast. We actually kept up to the Riptide, just couldn't overtake. And that was with no clears, and no tabs. OK? Once they were fixed, WHOOOAAAAH NELLY!

Give me glass and a V-Rod any friggin' day of the week.

Just waitin' for Rhys to come in and defend his tinpot bathtub!:grin::grin::grin:

Cheers,

Tim

gofishin
21-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi Marty,
Saw the 7.5 today at the show, well actually, stumbled upon it by accident as I was drawn to that beautiful big black beast of a Striper next to it – with twin 300 V-rods on it. Now if that beast wouldn’t give Tim a woody then I don’t know what would/wood :grin:

The Noble sure is a nice boat, but now that I have seen it there is no way I would put a 300 on it if it were me! Way too much oomph and you would be carrying all that extra weight, with a lighter wallet too, for what – one or two days a year when you would get the chance to blow your mates off! Maybe it was because it was next to that Striper, but it didn’t quite look like a 7.5m hull, maybe that includes the bowsprit? Whatever, unless you’re loaded $$, the 300 would be overkill!

‘Ross685’ is getting pretty good numbers from his (250) and there is still a good bit of tweaking to go with the engine height. Hell, when his is tweaked properly he will need to log in to the ‘Control Tower’, not the Coast Guard! The 7.5 would obviously be heavier, but I think the extra length will give it a better stance on the water and you would actually not be too far behind him if it ‘were on’.

Again, my 2c, but wack a ‘whatever colour’ 250 VVT 4 stroke (or maybe even the 225Honda as it has VVT too and seems to push the other mentioned 7.4 Noble pretty well) and spend the balance on the ‘boat bits’ and electronics. 12” HD plotter, HD RADAR with overlay, autopilot, good sounder, good tabs, blah blah

Happy times ahead for you mate whatever you decide. :smiley:
Cheers
Brendon

gofishin
21-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Verado Verado Verado. Sorry I can't give you a test drive on my 250, I sold it...WHAT Timi???:shocked: Bet you shed a tear mate:cry: :cry: . By your avatar I see you have something in the wings...

murf
21-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Was that at 1770 murf !:grin: ... foxy

yeah mate and as expected TimiBoy has come up with a heap of excuses :tongue:

what was the real comment on the day Tim? haha

cheers Murf

Captain Seaweed
22-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi Marty,
Saw the 7.5 today at the show, well actually, stumbled upon it by accident as I was drawn to that beautiful big black beast of a Striper next to it – with twin 300 V-rods on it. Now if that beast wouldn’t give Tim a woody then I don’t know what would/wood :grin:

The Noble sure is a nice boat, but now that I have seen it there is no way I would put a 300 on it if it were me! Way too much oomph and you would be carrying all that extra weight, with a lighter wallet too, for what – one or two days a year when you would get the chance to blow your mates off! Maybe it was because it was next to that Striper, but it didn’t quite look like a 7.5m hull, maybe that includes the bowsprit? Whatever, unless you’re loaded $$, the 300 would be overkill!

‘Ross685’ is getting pretty good numbers from his (250) and there is still a good bit of tweaking to go with the engine height. Hell, when his is tweaked properly he will need to log in to the ‘Control Tower’, not the Coast Guard! The 7.5 would obviously be heavier, but I think the extra length will give it a better stance on the water and you would actually not be too far behind him if it ‘were on’.

Again, my 2c, but wack a ‘whatever colour’ 250 VVT 4 stroke (or maybe even the 225Honda as it has VVT too and seems to push the other mentioned 7.4 Noble pretty well) and spend the balance on the ‘boat bits’ and electronics. 12” HD plotter, HD RADAR with overlay, autopilot, good sounder, good tabs, blah blah

Happy times ahead for you mate whatever you decide. :smiley:
Cheers
Brendon

Cheers Brendon,
I did see the striper there at the show and it is a big boat, it certainly dwarfs the Noble sitting side by side, the Noble length overall is 7.8m I remember thinking that when I jumped on. The hull you saw at the show is identical to the one I ordered, colour and style. I spoke to Cunninham Marine out there and they have been putting 300's on them with great results, there was no real compremise by their experience.
I had never really heard much about Verado until I saw them at the show, I was told all the facts and shown the engine management guages/computer and was really impressed. I spoke directly to a mechanic and he explained to me what he liked about them, all made good sense.
Thongs I didnt know:
*Turn the key once and the engine will continue turning itself over until it starts in timed increments.
*Computer will calculate if fault occurs ,how much the engine can safely run rather than going straight into limp mode. It will calculate a percentage it can run at , increase fuel supply and get home. If a fault occurs it will run through a series of checks to perform such as check water in fuel, check water at tell tail etc
*Motor comes with cruise control, trolling setting which you can increase via small increments with buttons
*Motor constantly evaluates load and as load increase and decreases like in a heavy swell environment motor will automatically compensate with adjusting itself rather than you having to adjust throttle back and forth.

Also comes with good warranty and there arnt any repetative warranty claims.
Cheers
Marty

murf
22-05-2010, 08:33 AM
so the only diff between the 250 and 300 Verado is hp? same size physically same weight so if funds allow why knot :)

and is the Verado 48kg or so heavier than the Etec in that hp range?

cheers Murf

yowie3
22-05-2010, 09:42 AM
If funds permit definitely go the 300. We have Suzuki's at work and they have not missed a beat. Brand is personal preference really. If i was in your shoes i would bolt on a 300 in a heartbeat........you can spin bigger props, not have to worry about power ever. If you got the 250 you would always be wondering should i have gone bigger when i had the chance? If the boat has been designed to handle it you would be mad not to.

Just because it has the ponies does not mean you have to use them!!!!!

Either way you are one lucky bugger.

Cheers

Captain Seaweed
22-05-2010, 11:39 AM
so the only diff between the 250 and 300 Verado is hp? same size physically same weight so if funds allow why knot :)

cheers Murf

Thats correct only difference is supercharger boost and fuel from what I am told. BUT the 350 is different. Hhhhhmmmmm 350.......! No, 300 will be the top I can go. The minister for war and finance said" Choose wisely for I wont be passing a bill for another big boat in 12 months". :undecided:

Marty

TimiBoy
22-05-2010, 08:49 PM

cheers Murf

Not sure of the numbers, but the pure engine weight is not the right measure. V-Rod =

- no two stroke oil reservoir
- power steering standard
- fly by wire (no heavy cabling)

and possible others, apart from the fact that it is big, black, and way sexier than those dumb E-Bombs.

:grin::grin::grin:

Cheers,

Tim

ozscott
23-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Dont want to Hijack this thread, but clearly a few blokes watching it who have been in these boats. I see that the bigger ones at least run 24 degrees of deadrise at the stern, and much sharper again at the bow - I mean the videos show the bow just slicing like an axe....everyone talks on the reviews of their ability running into shop and one review says beam on, but what are they like in a following sea and in particular surfing down a swell/wave if you have to in bars etc with that much frontal v? I suppose you could trim them up so much that the mid section is what is contacting the water and then it would be ok?

Cheers

NQ-FISH
23-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi Marty
Running two 130 e-tecs on my boat for charter work done only 150hrs,have not one complaint motors have been faultless not sure of fuel consumption but happy with reliabilty no vibration, had yammy on old boat wasnt happy with 4stroke but thats only my opinion, have a mate with 175 e-tec done 300hrs same kind of work motors been faultless He was only saying the other day that his fuel is getting even better with the 300hrs hope this is some help to you.

MajesticMarine
23-05-2010, 11:43 AM
I am not surprised with the great reviews that Suzuki is also getting in this thread. Was at Sanctuary Cove yesterday, and it seemed that everyone i spoke to about outboards had the very best to say about the 300hp.

goona
30-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Dont want to Hijack this thread, but clearly a few blokes watching it who have been in these boats. I see that the bigger ones at least run 24 degrees of deadrise at the stern, and much sharper again at the bow - I mean the videos show the bow just slicing like an axe....everyone talks on the reviews of their ability running into shop and one review says beam on, but what are they like in a following sea and in particular surfing down a swell/wave if you have to in bars etc with that much frontal v? I suppose you could trim them up so much that the mid section is what is contacting the water and then it would be ok?

Cheers

Ozscott,

I own a 7.4 and going with a following sea is no drama. The only time I had a little scare was when the 300lt easy full of fish and an Ice slurry slid across the deck and hit the side of the boat which then made the boat list a bit to the port. I now tie the easy into place whilst travelling in anything over 15 knots and it has never happened again. Cannot fault the boat at all.

Goona

ozscott
30-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks Goona - mate geez they are a big unit (if that is you in the Avatar and not a 2 foot high kid! :)).

Cheers