PDA

View Full Version : goodwin/ub 5m v haines TD157

yamp
12-05-2010, 11:20 PM
looking into upgrade to tinny to glass boat in the future.I was just interested in feedback,pros and cons of the different styles of boat.I like the idea of the longboat with shallow draft and lower hp required compared to the haines. I have a 4m hornet at the moment which is pretty good for the creeks but was thinking 5m longboat like goodwin or southwind ub might be able to run in same sort of shallow water( hornet needs 3 ft on the plane and 1.3ft taking it steady)plus be able to run out to islands 20 or so miles out. not sure which hull would perform the best longboat or haines cheers for any advice and feedback Yamp

krazyfisher
13-05-2010, 05:13 AM
I would go with the goodwin, better layout than the ub. and I had one. I used to run out to blackcomb island out past the smith group and had no problems, i found it to be a good boat around mackay.
let me know if you need any info on the goodwin

Crunchy
13-05-2010, 10:57 AM
I find the UB a good compromise between shallow draft (For getting over the bar) and good sea-keeping and very stable at rest. There are a couple of 580's on the market at present which is pretty rare.

Cardy Wahoo
13-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Mate have a look at wahoo boats and hooker. Both have good commercial pedigree. Just ask the live trouters. I have a 5m wahoo and love it. Around Hinchinbrook I access the skinny water on the flats and shallow rivers and head out to the gbr regularly too. Have a look at the aussie whalers too - i think nomad use them for their dorys - great for shallow reefs and very stable.

Waraba Mick
14-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Cardy,
pm sent.

scorpionNQ
14-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Yamp,
I would go the goodwin/southwind, bloody ideal for your requirements. I am on my 3rd ub (580, 670, now 730), up the shallows chasing bait, out 130kms the the reef. I would probably go the 520 southwind, mainly because of the availability of them, so you will have more choice with engines/accsesories. There are quite a few around atm, and from what I have read they are a great boat. The goodwin 5m unfortunatly are few and far between. Forget the hooker as they are too tippy at rest due to the deep vee (but great in the slop).
Cheers
Lee

Willow1
15-05-2010, 04:04 PM
I agree with Scorpion NQ. These goodwin/southwinds are great in the shallows and cut through the rough out front with ease. I have the 6.7 meter and can get into shallow places where I struggled before with center consol deep v alum hulls. Very versatile hulls and the best allrounder I have had to date. Cant knock the Hooker for ride either as they are good, but it has the deep V hull which needs a bit more in the shallows and bow is not raised like the banana boats. hope this helps.