PDA

View Full Version : Fined 200, 2/5/2010 brissie river!!

bigperm
10-05-2010, 06:06 AM
The water police were out in force in the early hours of last monday morning handing out 200 fines for persons with out there centre ride light on?? I was one of those lucky persons to recieve 1!!, wasnt real impressed either:angry:......200 bucks!! I only had the light off for about 30 seconds then realised and flicked it back on:lipsrsealed: and then they pulled up! Couldnt talk my way out of it , it was an honest mistake but the officer said no excuses because the port of brissie is such a busy port?? Just as they finished writing the bloody ticket out another boat flew past us with out his ride light on:huh: and off they went after him!! I feel for ya mate..:cry: With no keepers in the esky and very pissed off about the fine!, we bailed and went home:sad:!!!!!!!! I just hope the revenue they make off all those fines gets put back into building and improving of boat ramps, jettys and carparks for us boaties to enjoy not wasted on shit:smiley::smiley:........OH well hopefully better luck next trip fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!! See Ya's

Marlin_Mike
10-05-2010, 06:32 AM
30 seconds is long enough to be hit by another vessel......... take the fine and next time remember to leave it on..

MIke

uglyfish
10-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Still pretty dark at 6 this time of year,they obviously didn't see it on before u turn it off or other wise they might of been a little more leaniate

alleycat
10-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Tell me something, when you are travelling do you have to have your white light on as well as your green and red?, i thought the white light was just to be used at anchor..

ozscott
10-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Turn em all on when moving and slip off the side lights when not making way. Without the all around white they cannot see you from behind otherwise.

Cheers

loophole
10-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks Bigperm. I'm heading there Tomorrow morning.

gr hilly
10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
no mate the money raised goes to the state dept thank you bligh.same as speed ing fines parking fines any fines all needed for our now broke queensland labor dont you love it watch out for speeding cameras in wheelie bins there coming it does not bother me i dont speed.
hilly

bronsonwinston
10-05-2010, 09:36 AM
I thought you can only have the anchor light on when stationary and not to be on when in travel - only nav lights on when traveling no anchor light is this correct?

charleville
10-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I thought you can only have the anchor light on when stationary and not to be on when in travel - only nav lights on when traveling no anchor light is this correct?

If that were true, what stops you becoming "roadkill" from a big, fast moving cruiser coming on top of you from behind?

The rules are very specific. See page 47 http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/msqfiles/home/publications/pdf_rec_guide_2009_2010_part9.pdf

FNQCairns
10-05-2010, 10:16 AM

No pretty much today the all round light needs to be on whenever a gps would in theory show a track and heading or stationary at anchor but not solidly tethered, this can be drifting or even anchored but the anchors slipping - to make a point.

Also it then places all operators directly within a situation that anything they hit will be their fault no matter what it might have been it must/99% of the time should have been an inanimate object for the want of a better word, so they where not operating at a speed to avail a proper lookout, or in theory keeping a proper lookout at all.

It's a pretty cute rule all said and done as it places the legal burden/duty of care/whatever heavily upon all moving operators but without directly limiting their personal choice and freedoms, something largely missing in this day and age IMO but of coarse it relies on everyone to play ball.

FNQCairns
10-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Curious if a boat was solidly tethered to a tree on the bank off channel but fishing out of it (say) could i be fined for not showing the white light??

gr hilly
10-05-2010, 10:56 AM
FNQ thats a good one mate you got me stumped ill have to find out now.
hilly

charleville
10-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Curious if a boat was solidly tethered to a tree on the bank off channel but fishing out of it (say) could i be fined for not showing the white light??

That situation is a bit academic except at the top of the tide because once the current flows, a boat that is tethered to the bank will soon be sitting sideways against the bank, thus forming part of the bank.

That is unless, of course, you have an anchor holding it out the back as well, holding it away from the bank, in which case I reckon that you would be fair game.

lethal098
10-05-2010, 02:16 PM
any vessel that is on the water must show anchor light even if anchored near shore this includes moored vessels, and all round white light must be displayed at all times during low light level times, ie betwen sunset and sunrise but also or dark days where visibility is minimal. i run a stern light as well as the all round, the last thing i want is a big boat running up my backside.

cheers Lee

cormorant
10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Moored vessels on approved moorings are exempt like boats in marinas I thought

indy
10-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the post mate i have been boating for alot of years now had my marine license since grade 8 at high school and i was under the asumption that it was only to be put on at anchor. Well you have probably just saved me a couple of hundred dollars cheers bud.

bastard
10-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I wish theyd come and inforce lights out the pin,about time they did.

uglyfish
10-05-2010, 06:24 PM
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/~/media/MSQImages/nav_lights_s.ashx (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Navigation-lights/Navigation-lights-image.aspx)
Power-driven ships must show sidelights and either an all round white light or a stern and masthead light. Sailboats under engine power are considered to be power-driven ships, and must show the same lights as a power-driven ship
Stern lights are not needed if an all round white light is visable 360 degrees

lifestyle
10-05-2010, 07:30 PM
So at what time should they be on ? Does the sun have to be fully up or just breaking the horizan . Is dawn or just approaching dusk require lights on. Or is the sun rise sun set times considered a norm?.

Fatenhappy
10-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Got me thinking too so I went to the Qld Tpt web site and ...

... Sailboats less than seven metres and vessels under oars must have a torch or lantern showing a white light ready to display in time to prevent a collision.

Power-driven ships must show sidelights and either an all round white light or a stern and masthead light. Sailboats under engine power are considered to be power-driven ships, and must show the same lights as a power-driven ship.

Sailboats less than 20 m in length may combine sidelights and stern lights in a single lantern carried at the top of the mast.

Sailboats seven metres or more in length must show sidelights and stern lights. In addition to sidelights they may show two all-round lights in a vertical line (red over green) that may be shown at the top of the mast, but not when a combined lantern is used.

Power-driven ships less than seven metres in length and whose speed does not exceed seven knots, may show an all round white light in lieu of sidelights. If practical, these ships should also show sidelights.

All ships at anchor must show an all-round white light ...

caster226
10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
comment removed

ozscott
10-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Bastard...mate I got a big remote controlled spot light on my cabin roof for that very reason. The Pin is insane. There are boats out right in the middle of the channel and some very large with no lights at all on pitch black nights.

Cheers

ShaneC
10-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Its incorrectly referred to as an "anchor light". Its an all round white light which is in place so there is a 360 degree visible whiste light on vessels.

PinHead
11-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Bastard...mate I got a big remote controlled spot light on my cabin roof for that very reason. The Pin is insane. There are boats out right in the middle of the channel and some very large with no lights at all on pitch black nights.

Cheers

I had one on the bow of the 30' cruiser...bloody hard to see an unlit tinny from the helm of that boat.

Now I have a tinny I know I prefer to be seen at all times.

I am surprised at how many do not appear to know about all round white lights and when they should be used. Just use some common sense..I have had mine on at 10am ..at Mud in thick fog and still hoping no bugger was stupid enough to be moving around at speed.

uglyfish
11-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Can't beleve the amount of ppl who don't or didn't know about the all round white light, maybe it's time to brush up on rules n regs guys..
Better to be safe then sorry....

lethal098
11-05-2010, 07:18 AM
In relation to moore vessels, if it is moored to a pntoon then no light is required, however if it is at a mooring like most of the boats in the brisbane river, they are a good distance from shore, drive past there at night and all of them have an all round white light visible.cheers Lee

uglyfish
11-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Dunno about all of em lee, the buggars moored in front of colmslie ramp are not all lit up..beats me how they get away with it..

finga
11-05-2010, 08:48 AM
They do they find you at night in the middle of the bay with no lights on to give you a fine??
Probably the same way as other boats would find you. By running into you.

By having the correct lights do not think other boats can see you. Always assume they can't see you and shine a torch at them (and flicker it too as it seems to get noticed more then a steady, contant beam) as soon as you hear them coming and continue to shine the torch at them if they continue on the path to your boat.
I reckon the torch has saved me at least once.

ThePinkPanther
11-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I was pulled up at Tangalooma one night many years back by Boating and Fisheries and told to never ever have the running (white) light on at night along with the nav lights.

It does make sense as other boats then have no idea if you are stationary or moving!!

White for anchored, red and green when under way.

finding_time
11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Moored vessels on approved moorings are exempt like boats in marinas I thought

Yep! You thought correctally!

ahamay
11-05-2010, 10:33 AM
I was pulled up at Tangalooma one night many years back by Boating and Fisheries and told to never ever have the running (white) light on at night along with the nav lights.
It does make sense as other boats then have no idea if you are stationary or moving!!

This was my understanding as well but I guess the documented rules are open to a number of interpretations.

Nav lights and a stern when underway (so you don't get run up the bum) and an all round white anchor light and no nav lights when anchored is what I've been following.

Guess this needs to be cleared up if they are handing out fines as per the exact rules wording.

Blackened
11-05-2010, 11:06 AM

G'day

Sorry but that's BS.

Think about this, switch the white light on and keep the bloody thing on all the time when in reduced visibility (personally I deem its low enough visibility when the beacons start to flicker)

Only turn the red and green off when anchored or aground and back on when under power or drifting.

Dave

ssab1
11-05-2010, 03:35 PM
This was my understanding as well but I guess the documented rules are open to a number of interpretations.

Nav lights and a stern when underway (so you don't get run up the bum) and an all round white anchor light and no nav lights when anchored is what I've been following.

Guess this needs to be cleared up if they are handing out fines as per the exact rules wording.
allround white when running , and then make sure that it is not obstructed at any time (your head) read previous posts as it is not that simple to comply, cheers Alex

ozscott
11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
If you dont have an all around white light and its very dark a vessel can come up from behind and run into you when you are going in the same direction - ie a nose to tail given that there is simply nothing to reveal a boat in front of the one accelerating up....the running lights do not shine behind. So if a vessel is acclerating towards a white light and can see no running lights the skipper knows that either the vessel he is coming up to is running in the same direction or is at anchor and can easily deal with it...

Cheers

deckie
11-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the post mate i have been boating for alot of years now had my marine license since grade 8 at high school and i was under the asumption that it was only to be put on at anchor. Well you have probably just saved me a couple of hundred dollars cheers bud.

Never ever in my 35yrs on trailerboats and others has this been the case.

Its no wonder they are fining people...might be the only way people learn.

Basically when the sun goes down your white light goes on and stays on moving or stationary...when underway u must switch on your nav lights and turn them off at rest. Your white light stays on.

Probably never sunk in to many due to the common name of "anchor light" so people think thats all its for.

Perhaps its different in other states but i highly doubt it.

the gecko
11-05-2010, 08:49 PM
If I was the type to say 'I told you so' then now would be the time.
But Im not.

posted on this very issue only a week ago. Looks like some missed it.

ANdrew

tunaticer
11-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Qld transport website covers any boat that is powered or uses a sail yet I can not find any rules or regs for lighting of kayaks on the water for anchor, drifitng or underway.
Currently i have an all round white light that remains on from dusk to dawn if I am on the water.
Will I be fined for not having Nav lights as well?

TheRealAndy
11-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Qld transport website covers any boat that is powered or uses a sail yet I can not find any rules or regs for lighting of kayaks on the water for anchor, drifitng or underway.
Currently i have an all round white light that remains on from dusk to dawn if I am on the water.
Will I be fined for not having Nav lights as well?

This is covered under Rule 25 of the international collision regulations, which is legislated at both state and federal levels. Rule 25 (d)(ii) states:

A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this Rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.

Si
21-05-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/~/media/MSQImages/nav_lights_s.ashx (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Navigation-lights/Navigation-lights-image.aspx)
Power-driven ships must show sidelights and either an all round white light or a stern and masthead light. Sailboats under engine power are considered to be power-driven ships, and must show the same lights as a power-driven ship
Stern lights are not needed if an all round white light is visable 360 degrees

hey guys, wanting to get my lights in order but i have a folding canopy on a 5.3 half cabin haines signature and if i wanted to get an all round white light it would basically have to go on top of the canopy somehwere which i dont even know it's possible due to wiring issues when canopy gets folded???. Currently i have side lights and a stern light. the way i read the regs is that i need to put an all round white light just below my windscreen at the bow (just behind anchor well) backed up by my stern light. This way even though the bow white light is obscured from the stern by windscreen and parts of the canopy im ok cos the stern light provides light where it is missing based on above diagram. is this right? cheers.

ozscott
21-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Seriola - your set up is what i had on my V16C with canopy. I had the front light (a particular angle - the chandlers have them) and then a stern light of another angle on a piece of angle alloy that sat up above the engine height (I once cut my arm on it and still have a very big scar to remember that set up by...still went fishing instead of stitching...pushed the boat off from ramp and got it...cant miss fishing!). I preferred that set up I must say to an allround white cause if you stick the front one right near the edge of the cabin facing forward you dont get light reflected off the cabin roof like you do with allround white. And the rear one was sweet cause it let you see the motor and lit the area beyond which was good for fish watching and attracting...in fact that might be a project to work on on nine mile.

Cheers

oldboot
21-05-2010, 12:58 PM
There have been any number of threads about lights in the past... but people still think they can get away with less than 100% correct lights.

AND there are still a great many out there who don't understand the simple rules...and they are simple and have been almost unchanged in 200 years

There are no specific rules for any type of hull or name of boat..so don't expect to see the word Kayak, canoe, windsurfer or PWC appear in the collision rules.
boat size and method of propulsion is all that matters..

A canoe or a kayak is the same as a row boat and a windsurfer is a sailing boat, a PWC is a power boat

anybody ever seen lights on a windsurfer

So we have obvioulsy had an incident or a near miss in the port..so the $h#t has hit the fan.

As far as when the lights should be on.....at anytime when there is less than the required visability.....so if the regs state that your lights need to be visable 2 Nm.....if you can not be clearly visable 2Nm away... your lights should be on. day or night

And visable 2Nm means under any conditions.......so if it is dark and foogy and your otherwise compliant lights dont punch the 2Nm......you should not be there.

the regs call for a masthed light and a stern light under way.... but there is a specific exemption that allows smaller craft to run the same all round white light as both a steaming light and an anchor light.

An 360 visabilty means exactly that...unobstructed visability 360 deg under all conditions......they will zipp you for that one too if they have a mind.

I seem to remember the terms for not requiring lights on a mored or secured vessel are.......

"made fast to the shore".....this means what it says......not moving with the tide..tied both ends

" at a designated mouring"......which means that too... a permanent mouring marked on a map.....not all legal mourings are designated, permanent or marked on maps.

as to how do they find you if you are running no lights........that round space ship thing thing on top of the police boat...... radar.......and quite a few of the government boats are getting forward looking infra red cameras too.

So iff they zipped 200 boaties at $100ish each....... they have covered their overtime.....so they will be claiming that in their budjet and they will be out again.

If you have any doubt about any of this sort of thing.... the small ships manual is available in most boat shops and the government printers for $30 ish...... money well spent.

cheers

finga
21-05-2010, 01:41 PM
T
A canoe or a kayak is the same as a row boat and a windsurfer is a sailing boat, a PWC is a power boat

So why do the row boats in the river need flashing white lights and a row boat doesn't?? Especially seeing I cannot have a flashing white light on the tinny as someone might think I'm a lighthouse.

As far as when the lights should be on.....at anytime when there is less than the required visability.....so if the regs state that your lights need to be visable 2 Nm.....if you can not be clearly visable 2Nm away... your lights should be on. day or night

And visable 2Nm means under any conditions.......so if it is dark and foogy and your otherwise compliant lights dont punch the 2Nm......you should not be there.
How do you go about it when there's a swell that's higher then your red and green or even your all round white light??
That can happen to even the largest vessels out there.
What red and green lights out there can punch 2nm through dense fog??
Isn't that why I have a fog horn too??
An 360 visabilty means exactly that...unobstructed visability 360 deg under all conditions......they will zipp you for that one too if they have a mind.
So why do they have the 6 degree clause in the QLD rules?? They cannot override COLREGS can they??

Cheers Scott

PinHead
21-05-2010, 02:30 PM
There have been any number of threads about lights in the past... but people still think they can get away with less than 100% correct lights.

AND there are still a great many out there who don't understand the simple rules...and they are simple and have been almost unchanged in 200 years

There are no specific rules for any type of hull or name of boat..so don't expect to see the word Kayak, canoe, windsurfer or PWC appear in the collision rules.
boat size and method of propulsion is all that matters..

So we have obvioulsy had an incident or a near miss in the port..so the $h#t has hit the fan.

And visable 2Nm means under any conditions.......so if it is dark and foogy and your otherwise compliant lights dont punch the 2Nm......you should not be there. so whay happens if you are our on the water andthe fog comes in and visivility is reduced to bugger all...do you stay put with so called illegal lighting or try and drive back through it with illegal lighting? As for the 2Nm, I doubt many can be seen that far away on the clearest of nights.

the regs call for a masthed light and a stern light under way.... but there is a specific exemption that allows smaller craft to run the same all round white light as both a steaming light and an anchor light.

I seem to remember the terms for not requiring lights on a mored or secured vessel are.......

"made fast to the shore".....this means what it says......not moving with the tide..tied both ends

" at a designated mouring"......which means that too... a permanent mouring marked on a map.....not all legal mourings are designated, permanent or marked on maps.

as to how do they find you if you are running no lights........that round space ship thing thing on top of the police boat...... radar.......and quite a few of the government boats are getting forward looking infra red cameras too.

So iff they zipped 200 boaties at $100ish each....... they have covered their overtime.....so they will be claiming that in their budjet and they will be out again. not one cent of fines collected by the Police Dept goes into their budget..the Police Dept is one of the few Depts that has no income. All fines go into the Justice Dept.

If you have any doubt about any of this sort of thing.... the small ships manual is available in most boat shops and the government printers for $30 ish...... money well spent.

cheers

.................................................. .................................................. ....................

charleville
21-05-2010, 04:21 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20100521-p3dha7nhgd4ty94djmc652ctqe.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/charleville2/dr1x6/page-1)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/charleville2/dr1x6/page-1) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

finga
21-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh Charlie...Charlie, Charlie, Charlie. It's been nice to know you over these last few years.
I'm sure someone will visit you when they shove you in the hooscow.
http://www.smileyhut.com/sad/bye2.gif

PinHead
21-05-2010, 06:52 PM
well Bruce..what would you do in that situation..i have been out at Mud in fog where you could not see any more than 50 metres..so do you stay there..and be illegal or try and head home..being illiegal? Actually been in it twice last year..and in one instance the rotten stuff did not lift until about 10am.
Common sense has to dictate at some time.
I would argue the point with the coppers..I don't have a problem putting my case forward.

charleville
21-05-2010, 07:04 PM
well Bruce..what would you do in that situation..i have been out at Mud in fog where you could not see any more than 50 metres..so do you stay there..and be illegal or try and head home..being illiegal? Actually been in it twice last year..and in one instance the rotten stuff did not lift until about 10am.
Common sense has to dictate at some time.
I would argue the point with the coppers..I don't have a problem putting my case forward.

I would be using my GPS or compass and finding my way to be as close to shore as possible. That will be just a few hundred metres of travel probably and it would be safer to be closer to shore than far out.

Staying put is also a valid option, in my view, if the fog is too thick. Scary though. Just have a torch in your hand ready to wave it and scream if necessary.

Likewise, I have been stuck in fog in uncomfortable situations a couple of times and it is not much fun.

PinHead
21-05-2010, 07:09 PM
exactly what we did..got in close to Mud in 2m of water..but my point still is..by the laws we were illegal with our lights...some common sense does have to come into play at some stage. You even hear the ferry going out the channel with its foghorn blaring..bloody eerie it can be.

sandbankmagnet
21-05-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm interested about the bit about being powered or by oars. What's to say if they pull you up at anchor without an all round light of the correct dimensions (ie like what most tinny owners have), you shine a torch and pull the oars out and tell them the motor doesn't work or that you prefer not to use it for the exercise?

finga
21-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Won't work matey.
The motor is there and that's all that matters.

PinHead
22-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I took a pic ofthe all round light supplied with my new tinniy..no chance of blocking that out..it is higher than the bimini. I don;t know if it works or not..have not wired the boat yet

Si
22-05-2010, 04:52 PM
looks like im going to have to do something simliar although i would need additional height on the pole to be above my canopy and as far as i can see. i cannot put an allround white light amidships on the bow and maintain the required line of sight due to half cabin structure and the open anchor access 'door' getting in the way. looks like i will have to go with something thats portable that can connect to battery like an elengated allround white taped to the rocket launcher. shouldnt be this difficult to become compliant for half cabins should it?

TheRealAndy
22-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm interested about the bit about being powered or by oars. What's to say if they pull you up at anchor without an all round light of the correct dimensions (ie like what most tinny owners have), you shine a torch and pull the oars out and tell them the motor doesn't work or that you prefer not to use it for the exercise?

Seriously mate... Go try it and see what happens. If I were a cop I would fine you.

The rules concerning visibilty are pretty well defined. Rules state:

For prescribed lights the value of K shall be 0.8, corresponding to a meteorological visibility of approximately 13 nautical miles.

so there you go. In fog, your lights will be less visible, but it does not mean they are not compliant.

ssab1
22-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I took a pic ofthe all round light supplied with my new tinniy..no chance of blocking that out..it is higher than the bimini. I don;t know if it works or not..have not wired the boat yet
heights right but is it "as close as practical to the centre of your port and starboard lights" .dont bite only trying to save you $200.had to bend mine to comply ,original was mounted to the side?? cheers alex

PinHead
23-05-2010, 07:57 AM
heights right but is it "as close as practical to the centre of your port and starboard lights" .dont bite only trying to save you $200.had to bend mine to comply ,original was mounted to the side?? cheers alex

I am not moving it..if they want to discuss it with me then i will deal with that at the time.

finga
23-05-2010, 09:36 AM
A bit hard to mount it in the centre of an open tinny if there's nothing to mount it to except the floor, the motor and the bow roller (if it has one).
I would not mount it on the motor and it's unpractical to have it mounted on the floor because you'll trip over it and the same applies to the bow roller so the only place left is the gunwale isn't it?
Where else can Pinhead put it so it is satisfies the close as practical to the centre clause and the setup remains viable to practicality and to safety issues?

Razgo-
23-05-2010, 05:18 PM
It could go on the Bimini like mine but then its an issue if you remove or fold it all the way down. I reckon its fine where it is though. jeez you could mount a spotty on that one :)

russ

finga
23-05-2010, 05:59 PM
It could go on the Bimini like mine but then its an issue if you remove or fold it all the way down. I reckon its fine where it is though. jeez you could mount a spotty on that one :)

russ
Absolutely right Russell.
A lot of tinny owners would remove their bimimimmimi (spelling??) so cannot mount it there either.
Not much point in a bimmminmii in the night on my tiny tinny.

Chimo
23-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Well Bigperm IMHO the authorities should refund your fine given the targetted publicity you have achieved for this issue.

What about it you there in Authority whos also reading this?

cheers
Chimo

ssab1
23-05-2010, 07:53 PM
A bit hard to mount it in the centre of an open tinny if there's nothing to mount it to except the floor, the motor and the bow roller (if it has one).
I would not mount it on the motor and it's unpractical to have it mounted on the floor because you'll trip over it and the same applies to the bow roller so the only place left is the gunwale isn't it?
Where else can Pinhead put it so it is satisfies the close as practical to the centre clause and the setup remains viable to practicality and to safety issues?
totally agree but will the coppers.cheers alex

ssab1
23-05-2010, 08:02 PM
I run a 14ft tinnie with the same problems, I mounted from side and bent "S" to make centre line.recently contacted MSQ as have some others "so they tell me" regarding lights and dealers,they say they go around to the dealers and point out the problems????"not doing real well at the moment", what will come of it ? probably nothing.cheers alex

TheRealAndy
23-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Well Bigperm IMHO the authorities should refund your fine given the targetted publicity you have achieved for this issue.

What about it you there in Authority whos also reading this?

cheers
Chimo

Why should they refund it? He broke the law, plain and simple.

oldboot
23-05-2010, 11:30 PM
The flasing lights on rowing boats is a special case and only applies on specified parts of the Brisbane river.....where there are no other flashing white lights...(similar with ferries).

The collision laws do not account for swell......there is no mention about obscuation by sea conditions...... and that is reasonable........what matters is the visability in aptmospheric conditions.

Like observing all marine lights.....there is a clearly understood factor of wave action.........and it is expected that lights may come in and out of visability with the swell..........in fact this is why the flash sequences are specified in the way they are.....so you know by proper observation that you are seeing what you think you should be seeing.

Remember too there are other things you should be doing if traveling in fog.

And yes fog is an issue......remember the laws of the sea are not all cut and dried like they are on the road because the sea isn't flat and does not have a white line painted on it.

The overriding rule is that all parties should do what they have to do to avoid collision.

Remember too the general safety obligation........if you were traveling in fog and there was a collision and it went to court....I am sure one of the first questions would be.....why were you traveling in dense fog.

Fog is no different to any other condition at sea......if you were out at MUD, and it blew up and a mighty swell....and you were safe sheltered in the lee.....would it be wise to head home.....why would fog be any different.

Not one cent of the fines goes to the police...... in deed....... but if there is a high rate of convictions for a particular operation......it is very easy to justify the resources......and apply to fund that in the following budjets...

How do you think they manage to fund speed cameras all of which are manned at overtime rates......they justify it in their budjet......the government sees that it has the funds in consolidated revenue........so it approves a police budjet to fund further operations.

As far as claiming you boat is powered by oars or sail..... not a hope is soon as you screw a motor to it it becomes a power boat, for the purposes of these regulations.

If you were rowing.... technicaly that oil tanker has to give way to you.....um...good luck with that.

As far as the near as possible to the centerline thing.........if the port stern corners is as close to the centerline as is practical.......that is a fair thing.....as long as it is visable 360 deg.

It is worth considering that running two white lights may be a reasonable option.

cheers

ahamay
24-05-2010, 09:07 AM

This looks like the extendable led that I've got and its a great light as it has good height. If it is the same and it has the plug in section at the bottom with the black plastic collar that you push down to secure it...well it's useless when your going along. It's great as an anchor light though.

Problem is the light pole it too long and there's too much movement at the top and it works the collar and the light up and out of the socket and unless you have it tied to the boat..goneski !!

I have an LED stern light as well. What I've done is not extent the pole up as high so there's not as much movement (it holds well) and use it as a bow light and stern light setup as per the regs.

charleville
24-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Problem is the light pole it too long and there's too much movement at the top

I have often wondered about that with the long poles. They manufacture the long poles out of the same diameter material as the short poles and I reckon that they would shake like buggery at the top of the pole when scooting along.

My concerns were more about standard incandescent bulbs in which the filament might be broken by all of that shaking - more so after it has aged a while than new.

oldboot
24-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Ya damn right.....there is a very real issue with getting an all round light off the shelf with a long enough pole to start with... then many of them are simply too flimsy...either in te pole its self or more usually in the mounting bracket.

If you want a compliant and durable all round white for a small boat you are realy looking at building one your self.

My boat is still off the water.......and when it goes back on it will have a new lights arrangement......

I've been scrating my head about a suitable all round white arrangement.

I will probaly end up with a rod holder type arrangement mounted off the bait board or the center console......stowable and plug in....

there is a good range of aluminium, stanless or plastic options for tube.

Aternatives I have considered are.....one of the marine aerial bases...or some sort of fabricated base.

Lots of people don't want an all round light on a pole at the back because it may get in the way of playing and casting.

But ya also don't want one up front when you are under way.. because of the glare......no reason whay ya cant have both... or multiple mountings for 1 light.

so ya run the rear when underway..and run the front when at anchor and stow the rear.

cheers