PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning marine carpet?

Damned67
07-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi All,
My boat's a touch over 12 months old, and due to all the use, the carpets starting to look a bit shabby. It's not stained, per se, I normally use the high pressure cleaner to hose any blood and guts off the floor, just a but grubby. I'd like to clean it up a bit.
What do you all use, and how?
I've read about Nappy San (or whatever it's called) being used, but am slightly concerned about the alkalinity of it (probably not an issue once it's hosed off).
If I was to go the Nappy San route, do I just get on my hands and knees and scrub it with a brush, or is there an easier way?

Cheers All!

Nobleboats
07-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi All,
My boat's a touch over 12 months old, and due to all the use, the carpets starting to look a bit shabby. It's not stained, per se, I normally use the high pressure cleaner to hose any blood and guts off the floor, just a but grubby. I'd like to clean it up a bit.
What do you all use, and how?
I've read about Nappy San (or whatever it's called) being used, but am slightly concerned about the alkalinity of it (probably not an issue once it's hosed off).
If I was to go the Nappy San route, do I just get on my hands and knees and scrub it with a brush, or is there an easier way?

Cheers All!

You could always try your local steam clean carpet cleaners. I use E-Dry to do all my carpets for my house and the carpet in my boat. They don't seem to have a problem doing this for me and they count it as another room.

Damned67
07-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Excellent idea, and I have read of that too. Unfortunately, the only carpet in the household is that in the boat and cars (all wooden floors and tiles in the house)....
I have contemplated hiring one of those carpet cleaners you used to see in the supermarkets a while back (although, don't recall seeing any recently), but have never used one and not too sure if they're even effective.

I've go some nappy san here for cleaning home brew equipment, so I might dilute some of that and give it a shot on a small section of carpet?

Mr__Bean
07-05-2010, 11:09 PM
We have always used laundry powder, does the job well, looks great and smells poofy in no time and no issues with alkilinity or corrosion after using this method for 6 years now.

We hose down the carpet with fresh water then sprinkle a full large packet of laundry powder over the carpet (Fab, Omo, payless etc), another light sprinkle with the hose and then let it soak for a couple of hours. Heavily soiled areas can be worked with your feet or with a stiff broom.

Then with the boat on a good angle hose it all down starting from the front and working all the suds towards the back.

Don't let it drain onto your grass otherwise it will kill about a 300mm circle under the bungs.

Works a treat.

- Darren

Scalem
08-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Don't know if you saw all the ribbing I got over this subject when I got my new boat 12 months ago, but I have always had a wet/dry Vax vaccume cleaner, so using the right detergents meant for this, 30 mins and the carpet in the boat is clean enough to eat off.

Recently Godfreys advertised specials on their cleaners, I picked up a $49.00 portable vaccume cleaner that does wet or dry. I thought, heck, for $49.00 and it can suck blood stained water out of the boat carpet, give it a try! Beats lugging a $400.00 Vax into the boat and risking damage in a saltwater environment. That was a small mistake I made when I ordered the boat, I should have asked for removable carpet with press studs, but oh well, thems the breaks.

The $49.00 jobby is a ripper!! You might have to pay a bit more if they are not on special any longer, or there are other models that do wet for a fraction of the price I paid for my Vax. Two hints I should give you, if you do this combined with any detergents make sure you buy a defoamer which stops suds from getting outa hand in the collection chamber of the cleaner. Second hint - make sure you don't forget to wrinse the collection chamber of the vacuume cleaner thoroughly afterward. Bloody water left for 2 days later nearly knocked me clean off my feet when I opened it.:shocked::grin:

Let me know if you need any more info

Scalem

deckie
08-05-2010, 07:11 AM
Much easier far cheaper options.
1. Get the missus to do it.....well, at least ask because if u get the 2 day silent treatment u can always use that for fishing. Little downside but wait a week after mothers day or it could be divorce instead.
2. Kids were made for this kinda job...thats if they want to go out next time.

Scott Ashe
08-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi mate,

Don't know if my suggestion will help, but my boat is about the same size as yours, and my old fishing mate suggested I go to the local pet shop and buy a couple of the big hession bags, the ones they use to make dog beds and I always put them on the carpet before any gear and you just lift them out and hose them off when you get home, helps to keep your carpet in good shape.

Its 'good especially when going mud crabbing cause 90% of the mud goes on the bags and not the carpet.

Cheers
Scott

trueblue
08-05-2010, 08:06 AM
I stopped worrying about my carpet and then it started to look a lot better.............

it only gets a hose off and a bit of a scrub to lift blood and guts - nothing more

cheers

Mick

bigjimg
08-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Hi mate,

Don't know if my suggestion will help, but my boat is about the same size as yours, and my old fishing mate suggested I go to the local pet shop and buy a couple of the big hession bags, the ones they use to make dog beds and I always put them on the carpet before any gear and you just lift them out and hose them off when you get home, helps to keep your carpet in good shape.

Its 'good especially when going mud crabbing cause 90% of the mud goes on the bags and not the carpet.

Cheers
Scott
Yep I do tha same thing only i've just got sections of marine carpet that can cop all the mess that way you just throw them on the driveway and give them a hit with the pressure cleaner.Keeps the original carpet in good nic.Or,I buy a 20ltr drum of CT18 truckwash as it works out cheaper and this lasts for yonks and does a heap of cleaning jobs.Jim

tenzing
08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Yep I do tha same thing only i've just got sections of marine carpet that can cop all the mess that way you just throw them on the driveway and give them a hit with the pressure cleaner.Keeps the original carpet in good nic.Or,I buy a 20ltr drum of CT18 truckwash as it works out cheaper and this lasts for yonks and does a heap of cleaning jobs.Jim
Me too.
I have a 2m x 2m piece of marine carpet. It doesnt slide around and it fills the whole cockpit behind the seat boxes. Do whatever you like with it on the driveway when you get home and throw over the water tank to dry. Keeps the boat carpet like new.