PDA

View Full Version : Is ch7s Scott Hillier full of it?

FNQCairns
07-05-2010, 08:13 PM
We have 2 quick fishing reports Friday evening after the local news, the ch9 one has a local and gives great advice, the ch7 one has this bloke giving what i suspect is exactly the same report Gladstone will get except for the very last 5 seconds where he gives local spots worth a check.

Am i right? His reports annoy the daylight out of me for this reason but we have only 2 and it's about fishing.

All his 'good oil' except this very last bit is totally generic and could apply to Broom or Darwin actually any region the species he mentions might live.

dodgyone
07-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Its damn hard to come up with something new every week.
I do our local one on ABC radio and sometimes its pretty hard when its been blowing all week and you know nobodys been out. Sometimes info has been given but sources have specified they want another week to themselves.
Can be a bit of a fine line sometimes. Get everyone wanting the good oil but scared you will tell everyone else what they have been doing.

Stroadman
07-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Is that why you call yourself dodgyone?? lol:grin:

FNQCairns
07-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I do our local one on ABC radio and sometimes its pretty hard when its been blowing all week and you know nobodys been out. Sometimes info has been given but sources have specified they want another week to themselves.
Can be a bit of a fine line sometimes. Get everyone wanting the good oil but scared you will tell everyone else what they have been doing.

Better you than me LOL.

Do you give nothing about location but speak of all the different fish species being caught on flats, bays, reefs, sand flats, everywhere that could be anywhere as long as it is a flat, bay, reef etc.

Then in the last 5 seconds of the entire report spit out a 5 or so known local fishing spots.

You wouldn't do it like that?

I have never heard anything like the reports this bloke gives us.

dodgyone
07-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Is that why you call yourself dodgyone?? lol:grin:

I get that one for many different reasons. Most of them true.:rolleyes::grin:

I dont mind giving a bit away. Really not much that people wouldnt find for themselves anyway. Have a good set of channel markers out the front of the harbour that regularly produce good fish. Saying that the Mackeral are in close (always this time of year) keeps people happy because its true.

Im out a couple of times a week so all it takes is a bit of a look around and chat to a few blokes at the ramp and around the workplace to find whats going on.
I hate not being able to come up with something credible though. Those days I end up being a bit 'busy' at work and cant do the report. Better that than dribbling rubbish I think.

BTW, Im in the Pilbara so cant help you with whats happening at Cairns at the moment.:wink:

bugman
07-05-2010, 10:44 PM

Is Jason still running the ABC fishing show... if so next time on air let him know Brett Bugg is still around and he needs to catch up for a fishing trip.

Actually I could give you some really good oil on him but it might see him out of a job and me in defamation court:grin:

Brett

Bad_Bubby
07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
In my local area a similar phenomenon occurs where the same general information is recycled at 4-5 week intervals. For example ‘mackerel on the reef’, ‘trout around the islands’, as if these fish are never there unless the paper is in print. It is pretty well known that a few of the ‘experts’ fish three days a year and talk like a fog horn for the other 362 days.

As for Scott Hillier, I might have to disagree a bit. I know he runs a charter operation in his home town (Ingham) and obviously has links to other NQ anglers. I have enjoyed his reports in the Cairns Post and his seminars. I think he does a good job of including practical tips and techniques. Sure, you are going to hear the predictable stuff, but you tell me someone who doesn’t include that kind of info.

Also I think it is worth noting that these reports are aimed at captivating a wide audience and going into indepth locations isn’t going to satisfy them, much less improve fishing in areas we want to remain productive.

smashed crabs
07-05-2010, 11:58 PM
As for Scott Hillier, I might have to disagree a bit. I know he runs a charter operation in his home town (Ingham) and obviously has links to other NQ anglers. I have enjoyed his reports in the Cairns Post and his seminars. I think he does a good job of including practical tips and techniques. Sure, you are going to hear the predictable stuff, but you tell me someone who doesn’t include that kind of info.

Captain Hollywood is full of it :grin: , when he was a fisheries officer and he would pull up at the back of me boat and the first thing he would do is ping the spot , as you do
Gee he is in here now writting out his next fishing report :grin:

I hope he reads this and spots me mug :grin: Bring it on !!!

Sheik
08-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Is Jason still running the ABC fishing show... if so next time on air let him know Brett Bugg is still around and he needs to catch up for a fishing trip.

Actually I could give you some really good oil on him but it might see him out of a job and me in defamation court:grin:

Brett
He's still doing it Bugsy. It's Jim Kennedy here mate... how the hell are you!?? Long time gone you and me and Goochie used to chew the fat hey? He's still over there, producing or reporting or something at Toowong at the new/temporary studios. Getting out fishing much mate? Just sold my boat and missing it berry berry much. You still in journo?
jimbo

finga
08-05-2010, 07:35 AM
So if there's nothing happening why not say so.

Nice quick report....something along the lines of:
Wind has been blowing it's t!ts off this week. No-ones been able to get out to see if there are any fish about.
or
Been out each day this week. Not a scale to be had. Do yourself a favour and stay at home and mow the lawn and service the fishing gear.
or
There's been a few fish about but mum's the word for a week. Go and have an explore. You might find them too...but the Macks are about.
or
just have a discussion on what should be about and how to fish for them.
Some background knowledge on how to catch a fish is always good to know.
Just have a look at the popularity of Charlieville's and Aussiefool's segments in the saltwater section on how to catch a feed of fish in the bay and how to catch a jew.

If people are that keen to get the good oil they'll find it whether it be Fred down at the bait shop or some recon work at the ramp.
I know it would be hard to do a report each week that would make great listening on the radio but it's a report not a wish list for the average punter.
Personally I do not listen to them to make a decision on where to go and what to fish for. I listen to them purely for the entertainment value and treat them as such.
I don't think I'd ever have a job doing the reports though with that attitude. :undecided:

I love to listen to Stinky on the radio down northern NSW. What a legend. :)
I've always wanted to meet stinky.
I don't even bother with the TV news fishing reports.
A bunch of pretty boys I reckon.
I don't trust pretty boys.
That's why Webby writes I suppose. Just not the face for TV :rolleyes:

As a side note..has anyone ever listened to the vege report from the markets on the ABC. Now that's boring....Wombok cabbages are strong this week with good product and strong market but beetroot is down in quantities of quality product so prices are high...all said in a monotone similar to drum/drone of an airplane engine. Great if you want a kip though because it's on just after dinner (midday meal).

smashed crabs
08-05-2010, 08:06 AM
[quote=finga;1160929]
So if there's nothing happening why not say so.
quote]

How true is that , got me stuffed why they got to tell porky's?

Tell you a good one , it's was part of a show where a person( yip sure was )was putting out a few crab pots at Lucinda , they goes back to check em and you would not believe it the pots where full of nice bucks
These bucks where caught days before by a pro and chucked in the pots :grin:

What a cop out !! people will believe anything , bullshit makes for good TV:wink: :grin:

Cheers
SC

Stressless
08-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Similar thing happened in Cairns a few years ago.

The crab charter had crabs put in their pots by a drunk supplier.

The customers got to retrieve the crabs...................already tied!!!

smashed crabs
08-05-2010, 08:58 AM

:grin: not only that a lot of them crabs where from here :grin:

finga
08-05-2010, 06:47 PM

I wonder what would have happened if the pots had been robbed??
The 'would be thief' would have been looking around for the sting of a lifetime to happen I reckon and the charter guy would have been just plain 'annoyed' (for want of a better word)

keepitreel
10-05-2010, 12:40 PM
You will probably find the fishing reports are sponsored by a local bait and tackle shop and they would soon pull their sponsorship if old mate tells everyone to stay home and not go fishing as they rely on the report to generate some business. I think the weather bureau are sometimes in on it too!!

whiteman
10-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Smashed, I run in to a few Ingam people (my deckie is a headmaster up that way) and not many have a good word to say for him. It appears he's taken a lot of otherwise secret marks and now profiting from them. None of us like losing these spots but we like the benefits of tourism so gotta balance it somewhere.

A few years ago I decided to follow him out past the sugar jetty and he took a short cut straight over the sand flats - we were doing 25 knots in 1'-2' of water and then he does a sharp right and left but he'd signalled me first once he realised he had a non-local hanging on to his a***. I thank him for that as I would have buried the nose in sand.

smashed crabs
10-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Smashed, I run in to a few Ingam people (my deckie is a headmaster up that way) and not many have a good word to say for him. It appears he's taken a lot of otherwise secret marks and now profiting from them. None of us like losing these spots but we like the benefits of tourism so gotta balance it somewhere.

A few years ago I decided to follow him out past the sugar jetty and he took a short cut straight over the sand flats - we were doing 25 knots in 1'-2' of water and then he does a sharp right and left but he'd signalled me first once he realised he had a non-local hanging on to his a***. I thank him for that as I would have buried the nose in sand.

Whiteman

Couldn't agree with you more mate.
Scotty is a good bloke and Just quietly we are lucky to have him here ( but don't tell him i said that!)
At the end of the day he has a job to do and it sure does make for good telly Even if on that very rare occasion things need a little kick along .

Truth be known most people here that have the shits with him are just a little green with envy!
I know i am :wink:

Cheers
SC

Bad_Bubby
11-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Truth be known most people here that have the shits with him are just a little green with envy!

That was my first impression when I read the title of this thread. I guess its the nature of modern society, everyone wants their slice of fame. When you do get in the spotlight the knives come out pretty quickly.

Gotta admit I had a laugh at the crab pot set up:grin:

FNQCairns
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
That was my first impression when I read the title of this thread. I guess its the nature of modern society, everyone wants their slice of fame. When you do get in the spotlight the knives come out pretty quickly.

Gotta admit I had a laugh at the crab pot set up:grin:

Bugger fame even a nich type like this but give me all the money that goes along with it LOL!

Personally I couldn't think of much worse that shooting all over the countryside and missing all of the little things an engaged family life can provide, even if it is fishing related, life on the road sucks IMO, done it ...but each to their own.

For sure there is jealousy and for sure there is not, I just wish I knew for sure I am being conned by his report, not just at a local bait shop beatup level but by an entire 3/4ers of the QLD coast!

The camera shots are so awfully close, pics look like they are cropped heavily..a disclaimer ticker tape across the bottom would be nice for those that might spend hard won time/money based on advice given if my suspicions are correct.

geeb
11-05-2010, 10:35 PM
I did a three day charter with him last year. It was the best charter I have ever been on and I have chartered a lot of boats/skippers.

He worked incredibly hard for the three days and had his brother Brad being the deckie they are an excellent team

He knew his stuff was a very capable and safe skipper and consistently put us on fish

He is larger than life but that is his persona and I dont have to live with him. He is also a great ambassador for Lucinda and surrounds

Go on a charter with him - you wont regret it...and you can see first hand how good his predictions are....cheers........Geeb

Geoff-
12-05-2010, 08:10 PM
yeah I reckon bait and tackle shops sponsor most of the reports and they send you where the fish aren't so the "real anglers" can have the good spots to themselves!!

ive' always been a cynic :D

Awshucks
16-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Quit ya whining fnq! you don't have to put up with paul burt so be thankful.

Smithy
26-05-2010, 02:12 PM
And I am pretty sure he reads AF!

FNQCairns
26-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Quit ya whining fnq! you don't have to put up with paul burt so be thankful.

I dunno who Paul Bart is, should I?

Last week (or the week before) report had the local ch9 bloke say he had nothing to report (kudos to him!), took all of 12 seconds....it's been blowing so hard no-one could get out. Yet channel seven gave us what it gives us every single week...the fishing report never really changes!

I don't get it, we regional anglers have gotta be worth a little more effort than this.

supertinny
26-05-2010, 03:14 PM
I know what your saying FNQ.
We used to have a local guy do a report on the friday night (Nashy) but now its big scotty.
Nashys reports were pretty good with a few shots of local fish caught through the week .
Scottys segment seems to be a generic speel with the names of a couple of local spots thrown in at the end. (that could be shown anywhere along the east coast of qld)
Luckly another station now has a fishing segment with a local guy. Yay

Also i have meet scotty before and he was a cool guy.

Stuart
26-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Ever tried turning the channel over.::)

Stu

cuzzamundi
26-05-2010, 08:58 PM
I've always been a fan of the bloke.

He really knows his stuff, and I enjoy watching him, he has an easy presentational style that's clear and not OTT. Never knew he does charters...crikes that'd be an awesome few days of fishing! Sometimes generic reports come out because generic catches are being recorded, simple as that. There are a couple of good clips of him on youtube as well. He gets two thumbs up from me.

Cuzza

aussiebasser
27-05-2010, 07:09 AM
I never trust someone who refers to himself in the third person.

Was once asked if I'd take him Bass fishing for Channel 7. I said I would, but the first time he yelled "Scotty's on!" I'd throw him out of the boat. They've never called back.

supertinny
27-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Ever tried turning the channel over.::)

Stu

Wow ! What a great and original idea. http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv136/seaweed34/bowdown.gif

FNQCairns
27-05-2010, 08:05 AM
We have 2 quick fishing reports Friday evening after the local news, the ch9 one has a local and gives great advice, the ch7 one has this bloke giving what i suspect is exactly the same report Gladstone will get except for the very last 5 seconds where he gives local spots worth a check.

Am i right? His reports annoy the daylight out of me for this reason but we have only 2 and it's about fishing.

All his 'good oil' except this very last bit is totally generic and could apply to Broom or Darwin actually any region the species he mentions might live.

Guys shouldn't you be off the net and getting ready for school already:)

Attention paid in English comprehension classes will pay dividends.

Whether I watch it or not it's still being broadcast...just to make reasoning easier to understand.

Bill_Corten
27-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Hey,
Pretty poor form to be knocking a guy you obviously don't know on a public forum like this.
Personally I have known the guy for years from his time when he was Brisbane based and he has fished with me on my own boat. From personal experience I am happy to speak up and clearly state that the guy is the real deal on and off the water. Keep in mind everyone of us is different. No one is perfect as we all have a different personality and set our own standards with what we do and how we do things.
Obviously Scotty has cred that fills the needs of the broadcaster so perhaps it would be smarter for you to take up any issues you have with the broadcaster or him rather than engaging in public granny gossiping.

Cheers
Bill

Stuart
27-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Everyone seems pretty brave sitting behind a computer and keyboard these days. I would like to know how many would actually approach Scott face to face and say those things. If you don’t like his presentation style then flick the channel over.

Stu

JRJR
27-05-2010, 09:12 PM
One time I was going out on a Game boat on the coat and one of the guys along for the trip took a phone call and I overheard him doing a fishing report on the phone to a local Gold Coast radio station.
When he got off the phone someone asked him about his report and he just said he made everything up on the spot.
Don't believe everything you hear.

RayDeR
27-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Giving an accurate fishing report when relying on bait shops and other fishermen would be like Goose Gould picking NSW to win because they have 17 players.

I would think that many fishing reports would be based on the specific area's past history, season, tides, moon phase and a few beers. Oh, and some garden fertiliser.

Ray de R

FNQCairns
28-05-2010, 07:25 AM
I am sorry but sacred cow stuff just goes straight over my head, I do get 'it' really I do and I will never respect it in the least.

To dumb down to the level expected and state the obviouse what has (on gods green earth) it got to do with him personally or him being a 'good bloke', 'bad bloke' 'half good" or anything of that easily pandered about guff and ilk??.....seriously:-?

Simple thing but some insist live in a bag with cats LOL.

the bottom line is the report Ch 7 puts to air is regionally disgraceful utter rubbish not fit to take up the airspace, even if they used a muppet to present it...the subject doesn't - no matter how neurotic the reader go any deeper than this...

Bloke up people!

Aunty Jack
28-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Everyone seems pretty brave sitting behind a computer and keyboard these days. I would like to know how many would actually approach Scott face to face and say those things. If you don’t like his presentation style then flick the channel over.

Stu

I don't like watching him and YES I do turn it over EVERY time he is on the TV.

It's that simple

Stuart
28-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Bravo for you swampman62. ::)

PinHead
28-05-2010, 05:10 PM
do people actually admit to watching the drivel dished up on free to air Tv anyway?

PaulMark
28-05-2010, 05:34 PM
do people actually admit to watching the drivel dished up on free to air Tv anyway?
I suppose you pay and watch the endless drivel tossed up on Cable,again,and again,and again.:P::) Scott Hillier gives a fishing report here on our local news,you can tell he doesn't know where the spots he's talking about are and sometimes even recomends going out in totally inappropriate conditions:-?:o.He's just reading a script and getting paid. Easy as that.8-)
Paulo

indy
28-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Aint that the truth

PinHead
28-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I''ll read a script for some money..I won't care what is on it.

cable..the only way to go..get most league games..all the Super 14 games and even the NHRA...so much for the so called endless drivel.
How shameful of me..i suppose free to air does have some fantastic shows..ACA and Today Tonight spring to mind...LOL

FNQCairns
28-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Dirty Jobs! best show this last 5 years IMO.....sopranos...where has that gone this last week?, top gear, 5 th gear, big bang theory, ideal, UFC, others also ...i get my fill from FTA but I don't watch it like an animal :) use a PVR and watch only what I like, only when I like. FTA in real time is painful enough to consider going postal!

Alchemy
28-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I don't take much notice of the reports in so far as what is (or isn't) being caught and where, but I do like to look all the same and dream of my next trip and this I think is of value to all fishos. That is, that it is a way of communicating recreational fishing at prime time. If these reports encourage greater participation in our past time, then I am all for them.

Dave.

finga
28-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Dirty Jobs! best show this last 5 years IMO.....sopranos...where has that gone this last week?, top gear, 5 th gear, big bang theory, ideal, UFC, others also ...i get my fill from FTA but I don't watch it like an animal :) use a PVR and watch only what I like, only when I like. FTA in real time is painful enough to consider going postal!
Gees I'm old.
What do all those initials mean??
About the only initials I know are FX, FJ, FE, FC, FB, EK, EJ, EH, HR, HD, HK, HT, HG, HQ, HJ, HX, HZ and WB.
I seem to remember XY and XW too from some where but cannot remember what they are.
God I'm dumb :-[

kitty_cat
28-05-2010, 08:03 PM
what about the reports on fishing on fishing forums ?

FNQCairns
28-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Gees I'm old.
What do all those initials mean??
About the only initials I know are FX, FJ, FE, FC, FB, EK, EJ, EH, HR, HD, HK, HT, HG, HQ, HJ, HX, HZ and WB.
I seem to remember XY and XW too from some where but cannot remember what they are.
God I'm dumb :-[

Doubt that,

You did well listing them all I can recognise them but couldn't list them, forget all about the HD.

UFC is the ultimate fighting championship.
FTA is free to air
IMO is in my opinion
WTF is watch my face:)
PVR is personal video recorder...think that's right:-?