PDA

View Full Version : Where have the Long Boats gone?

smashed crabs
07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi all
Can anyone tell me if anyone still builds New Long Boats in ally?
Just don't seem to be around no more. Is this because they are out of fashion?
Are there still many Long Boat fans around?

Cheers
Smashed Crabs

Noelm
07-05-2010, 02:42 PM
even though Longboats seem to go OK, I don't think they were ever "common" there was a few here and there and thats about it.

Chimo
07-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Hey Smashed Crabs

Look here http://www.boatpoint.com.au/used-boats/BETTER-BOATS/make.htm
and even a second hand Better Boat. These are built by David payne who built the Express duojoint boats in Bris before he moved to Fiji and started building these. It seems he sold the Express boats to Etamax in Malaysia and they sell complete or flat pack Express and more from there. http://www.etamax.com.my/

Cheers
Chimo

myusernam
07-05-2010, 04:12 PM
cairns custom craft make a model called the northwind
Tiger23 by seastorm

and for the sake of being argumentative
tin = creek

Hey smashed crabs saw old mate the pro's cat. rough as guts but i'd buy one

smashed crabs
07-05-2010, 07:43 PM
cairns custom craft make a model called the northwind
Tiger23 by seastorm

and for the sake of being argumentative
tin = creek

Hey smashed crabs saw old mate the pro's cat. rough as guts but i'd buy one

Myusernam , thanks for that i will have a look at the northwind , seastorm went down the shooter?

Tin=Creek ? WT?

Yeah right did you really see that cat ? And when you say rough you mean the finish ay?

Cheers
SC

smashed crabs
07-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Hey Smashed Crabs

Look here http://www.boatpoint.com.au/used-boats/BETTER-BOATS/make.htm
and even a second hand Better Boat. These are built by David payne who built the Express duojoint boats in Bris before he moved to Fiji and started building these. It seems he sold the Express boats to Etamax in Malaysia and they sell complete or flat pack Express and more from there. http://www.etamax.com.my/

Cheers
Chimo

Thanks Chimo , i have come across the mob in malaysia i think they are also pumping out a few designs from YWE as well ,alot of the packs are exported from here in whole form then cut and then re exported back again for anyone here who wants em , go figure !?
It's amazing how overseas they take to longboats like a duck to water and here we tend to go with the trend of a floating square box that does not have the benifits of a desent longboat and need bulk hp in comparison( BLAME THE YANKS?)

Cheers
SC

smashed crabs
07-05-2010, 08:19 PM
even though Longboats seem to go OK, I don't think they were ever "common" there was a few here and there and thats about it.

Thanks Noelm

Im hearing you and im wondering if Long Boats will ever be more than a un-common , if i had to chose over a centre consol or a LongBoat of the same length i would take the LongBoat without question and for all the right reason's.

cheers
SC

ifishcq1
07-05-2010, 08:48 PM
SC you should checkout glass long boats
http://www.allmandboats.com/index.html
the tin ones flex too much and fatigue
when fuel gets to dear for joe average they may see the light and try one of the most functional fishing, diving and family rigs anywhere but until then they are just not pretty enough to become popular

if I didn't have a longboat I would have a 24cat

cheers

smashed crabs
07-05-2010, 11:33 PM
when fuel gets to dear for joe average they may see the light and try one of the most functional fishing, diving and family rigs anywhere but until then they are just not pretty enough to become popular

cheers

Thanks ifishcq1
I was kinda wondering how long it would take for someone to say that :wink: .

Cheers
SC

jake0
08-05-2010, 07:15 AM
SC have you seen these??
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8304732

jake0
08-05-2010, 07:16 AM
ohh I also rate the longboats with the stabi craft...fnkn ugly

smashed crabs
08-05-2010, 08:15 AM
ohh I also rate the longboats with the stabi craft...fnkn ugly

:grin: :grin: :grin: , Yeah i agree , i went to the boat shop yesterday and there was one in the repair shed , all i can say is if i ever cracked a fat for that i would amputate me dingaling, man she was UGLY !!!! and at least a 2 forty pounder job ,eewww!

smashed crabs
08-05-2010, 08:23 AM
SC have you seen these??
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8304732

Yeah i have check them out , i would break one of them in no time .

Ohh and about the stabi thing , im very shallow when it comes to boats:grin:

nigelr
08-05-2010, 08:44 AM
So how do the longies go in swell and chop, as opposed to CQ/NQ conditions?

smashed crabs
08-05-2010, 10:13 AM
So how do the longies go in swell and chop, as opposed to CQ/NQ conditions?

Nigelr , for me they will eat it up and spit it out , my ally Long Boat was 6m and only ever had a 40hp on it , i worked this boat as far south as Tin Can Bay and all the way up and back down into the Gulf , that boat since retired and did well over 20 years service , i have been in surf conditions where i couldn't turn the boat around and had to back the boat into calmer water , had it in 3meter seas of Zoe Bay in a following sea fully loaded ( yes that day i did poop myself ), i used it as a surf board of fraser and had half of it in a pipe ( yes pooped then too). I have even had it 100km out on the shelf in some really crappy conditions , the type of conditions that take out windscreens on box boats .I am heading somewhere with all this , it's the fact that a Long Boat caught out in crap seas will function and handle bucket loads better at much lower speeds and even at a idle than a box boat ever will. If you where to put a long boat and a box boat same lenght and weight and hp side by side and gear in at an idle into a heavy sea the Long Boat will move forward with ease , the box boat will do two steps forward one step back with every wave that hits the bow.Bring them up to a min planning speed and it will be the Long Boat that handles better , while the box boat will bash your guts out but it will leave the Long Boat for dead , bring them up to cruise speed and i will then wave at the Box Boat while sipping on a cup of tea as i slip away in front at less revs while the Box Boat crashes and leaps all over the shop at higher revs and a constant need to power on power of .
If it's hard on the driver it's even harder on the boat and da motor
The lenght and width ratio of a Long Boat is far superior than that of a box boat.

Cheers
SC

Flex
08-05-2010, 10:45 AM
What about speed across the water?
See a few 6m long boats with 60hp on the back. SUre they may span the chop and travel nicely. But at what speed?

Hate to take 4 hours to travel 100kms offshore

smashed crabs
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Picture these types of boats built with the same length and width ratio of the common Square Box type just about all of us use

Yaught
Tanker
Ocean Liner
Navy Patrol Boat
Long Boat
Of shore racing boat
High speed recue boat
Submarine
ect"

And how about a cat without it's twin hulls? :grin:

Cheers
SC

PinHead
08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Picture these types of boats built with the same length and width ratio of the common Square Box type just about all of us use

Yaught
Tanker
Ocean Liner
Navy Patrol Boat
Long Boat
Of shore racing boat
High speed recue boat
Submarine
ect"

And how about a cat without it's twin hulls? :grin:

Cheers
SC

I've picked the odd one out..the long boat.

smashed crabs
08-05-2010, 01:49 PM
What about speed across the water?
See a few 6m long boats with 60hp on the back. SUre they may span the chop and travel nicely. But at what speed?

Hate to take 4 hours to travel 100kms offshore

Flex , up the hp and travel at what you can handle

Every time i get a boat and it don't matter what the boat it is i will put it though it's paces , i have smashed up me hip (allison 195), busted an ankle (bermuda cc), tore out a shoulder(starcraft) , broke me nose(wife) , broke a finger(stingray) and cut me shins up(mako) , even sweeped of the deck in a Cyclone 680 , flipped a few tinnys ect...., they all had one thing in common "bulk hp""an a clown at the helm and pushing em way to hard for what they can handle , what's even more interesting about these boats and more that i have hammered is the way they react to foolishness , the reaction is somewhat violent and exstremely sudden to the point where it's to late to correct , as yet i have not been able to recreate most of these thing with a longboat type , i have however throwing me self out of one but this is because i was going full noise and (not on purpose) hooked it full turn, i know they don't like going to hard with big sea but that goes for a lot of other boats i have smashed me self on

Oh back to your question about what speed , im not really a role model in that deparment but these days 18 to 20knts is enough for me , one last thing i know a lot of commercial fisherman that have buggered knees and stuffed backs operating out of bangers

Cheers
SC

smashed crabs
08-05-2010, 02:59 PM
I've picked the odd one out..the long boat.

Gday Mr Pinhead , ohh goody i just can't wait to see why you picked it out as the odd one out , please keep going why stop now ?

Out of everyone in here you are my most favourite Senior Citizen , i reckon you will have a real chance at winning the Senior Citizen award this year buddy and i will be right there with you pushing you up the ramp to collect your price.

I know it's been a long time coming and you have been waiting so long for me to say those words you have been yearning to hear , so todays the day and i can't think of a better place to say than right here and right now !!!

I LOVE YOU TOO GRANDADDY !!! with all my heart and as long as im around i will not let them put you in a home and that's a promise , if anyone is going to spoon feed you it will be me okay?

Have a nice nap
Your newly adopted Grandson
Smashed Crabs

PS i have never had a grandad :cry: , but you will do :grin:

PinHead
08-05-2010, 03:51 PM
probably leave you for dead sc at anything you choose. Proud to be a grandfather..just hope they don't end up like you. Senior Citizen..I like that..but you probably could not keep up with this old bloke for a day.

Yaught I think you mean Yacht here..they have a keel ..without it they tip very easily.
Tanker..usually tanks full of freight for stability plus very deep in the water and a bloody great bulge on the bow.
Ocean Liner ..usually have ballast tanks
Navy Patrol Boat ..not built for anythign but to travel fast..and not a very comfortable ride
Long Boat..ugly but probably travel well..but still bloody ugly.
Of shore racing boat ...sleek line and designed to the nth degree
High speed recue boat ..ditto to the racing boat
Submarine ..obviously travel underwater.

SNAPPERCOFFIN
08-05-2010, 05:42 PM
[quote=smashed crabs;1161046]Gday Mr Pinhead , ohh goody i just can't wait to see why you picked it out as the odd one out , please keep going why stop now ?

Out of everyone in here you are my most favourite Senior Citizen , i reckon you will have a real chance at winning the Senior Citizen award this year buddy and i will be right there with you pushing you up the ramp to collect your price.

I know it's been a long time coming and you have been waiting so long for me to say those words you have been yearning to hear , so todays the day and i can't think of a better place to say than right here and right now !!!

I LOVE YOU TOO GRANDADDY !!! with all my heart and as long as im around i will not let them put you in a home and that's a promise , if anyone is going to spoon feed you it will be me okay?

Have a nice nap

Smashed Crabs

Whats the go with that ? Your threads seem to be all over the place first buying a boat then loose it then looking at something else then going to build them then asking questions about alot of different style boats now this?

stinky-stabi
08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
sc very good laugh........pmsl:cry:

nigelr
08-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks for your reply SC.
Seem to remember the Vikings had a thing about long boats....they did alright.
Cheers.

smashed crabs
08-05-2010, 09:57 PM
probably leave you for dead sc at anything you choose. Proud to be a grandfather..just hope they don't end up like you. Senior Citizen..I like that..but you probably could not keep up with this old bloke for a day.

Yaught I think you mean Yacht here..they have a keel ..without it they tip very easily.
Tanker..usually tanks full of freight for stability plus very deep in the water and a bloody great bulge on the bow.
Ocean Liner ..usually have ballast tanks
Navy Patrol Boat ..not built for anythign but to travel fast..and not a very comfortable ride
Long Boat..ugly but probably travel well..but still bloody ugly.
Of shore racing boat ...sleek line and designed to the nth degree
High speed recue boat ..ditto to the racing boat
Submarine ..obviously travel underwater.

Thanks Pinhead
I have no doubt you would give me a run for me money :grin:
Everything you said here to these types of boats is true but you missed one very important factor , which is the lenght and beam.

Increase the beam on anyone of these boats and they simply will not do what they where designed to do , horsepower requirements would go up , the ability to handle heavy seas would drop ect .......
As for the sub yeah they swim under water but they are much much faster on the surface
Even though each of these boats are different the fundamentals of design are the same in principle when refering to Lenght and width .

So to sum it all up, in essence they are all long boats
Define a Long Boat and you would find the definitions to be very broad.

Cheers
SC

PS I really hope they do turn out like me :grin:

smashed crabs
08-05-2010, 10:18 PM
[quote=smashed crabs;1161046]Gday Mr Pinhead , ohh goody i just can't wait to see why you picked it out as the odd one out , please keep going why stop now ?

Have a nice nap

Smashed Crabs

Whats the go with that ? Your threads seem to be all over the place first buying a boat then loose it then looking at something else then going to build them then asking questions about alot of different style boats now this?

Nah don't read into it too much mate , that was said in jest , Pinheads got big shoulder's, he luvs it !

As for the other stuff it's tuff being me , build boat/s YES , asking alot of questions yes for sure and why not ? Im sure other people will find the replies interesting , useless, helpfull or even amusing and have a good laugh if nothing else , after all this is a forum and a great one at that !!

Cheers
SC

Flex
09-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Long boats might be well and good getting to and from the grounds a tad smoother.
But fishing out of them is akin to standing in a canoe. very twitchy and no where near as comfy as your standard high sided wide rig.

Most blokes suffer the 1 hour of bashing in a beamy boat to have 6 hours of comfortable fishing, not the other way around.

I know plenty of people who love long boats, each to their own IMO. If one came up cheap somwhere then I'd buy one myself. but thats a rarity.

IMO buy yourself a cat instead:) gets the best of everything. Smash past any boat in the ocean, and super stable platform when you get there.

smashed crabs
09-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Long boats might be well and good getting to and from the grounds a tad smoother.
But fishing out of them is akin to standing in a canoe. very twitchy and no where near as comfy as your standard high sided wide rig.

Most blokes suffer the 1 hour of bashing in a beamy boat to have 6 hours of comfortable fishing, not the other way around.

I know plenty of people who love long boats, each to their own IMO. If one came up cheap somwhere then I'd buy one myself. but thats a rarity.

IMO buy yourself a cat instead:) gets the best of everything. Smash past any boat in the ocean, and super stable platform when you get there.

Flex , your spot on there mate , as for cats they are great but not everyone can afford two donks .

As for the cigar on the water effect, there are stabilizers arms that can be fitted to knock out the roll but i reckon in the eyes of many they would look like crap.

So the next best thing is larger reverse chines, not only will they stablize the boat they will also help with tracking , another idea is to make stabilizers that fit up into the hull while moving and then dropped down at rest (maybe )

attached chook scribble of a Long Boat appox 7m , most of the ugly Long Boat as we know it is nearly gone, still playing with deadrise (12 to 15 )and bow shear (entry and jazz),Beam so far is 2.10m, chines start of a the front 80mm and close to 200mm(reversed) on the arse.Still working on making it even more slippery and trying to drag the contact water line lenght down and playing with free board

The one im talking about is the grey one , the other is much much larger but still retains alot of it's traditional Long Boat looks with a slight revamp

Cheers
SC

DALEPRICE
09-05-2010, 01:05 PM
having owned a longboat and now having a "box boat" with
a windscreen ill never go back to a long boat.

long boat was excellent on fuel and rode well, but to be honest you didnt go twice the speed in the rough. you couldnt lock your legs into the gunnel when fighting a good fish and very low sides when fishing in the dark.

its like anything, all boats have pros and cons and its just a matter of what suits the individual person. The southwind was an awesome boat but wasnt 100% suited to what i like. it has moved up to hervey bay and had a make over. just my thoughts and oppinion. good luck with your choices.

cheers dale

Franco
09-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Dale I'm interested in how you found the UB when going with a following sea? I know they're great for travel through choppy tropical waters but what are they like if you get a bit of open ocean ground swell mixed in with the chop, or around bar crossings?

The reason I'm interested is because I have decided to go for a 5m cc glass boat layout as my "allrounder" boat rather than a longboat but it was a hard decision. I wanted a boat to do baywork, large estuary or light offshore/inshore work in fair conditions (with the ability to get home if the wind blows up more than expected). I ended up staying with my 5m haines cc but always wondered about a UB 520 or 580.

One thing is for sure is they're popular with the fly fishos who cross rough water to fish estuaries and flats and also get out to give the tuna a touch-up, but they don't troll for spaniards or marlin either.

Any opinions on longboats vs beamier boats as a southern waters allrounder fellas?

brisbane_boy
09-05-2010, 08:22 PM
franco, i think dale hit it on the head with the layout, ive been in a couple of brands of longboats and at the end of the day all i can say is there uncomfortable to fish from and wet in a cross wind or sitting down the back, you take for granted having something to brace yourself on in a lot of boats, they are also dam skinny in the working area at the back if you have a box to get around, no real complaints for the ride out or back or casting a few slugs but offshore was hard work bottom bashing or trying to sleep. we have a fair swell to contend with here that they dont get up north around the reefs or in hervey bay, def a worthy contender for long runs in a low swell area

smashed crabs
09-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Dale I'm interested in how you found the UB when going with a following sea? I know they're great for travel through choppy tropical waters but what are they like if you get a bit of open ocean ground swell mixed in with the chop, or around bar crossings?

The reason I'm interested is because I have decided to go for a 5m cc glass boat layout as my "allrounder" boat rather than a longboat but it was a hard decision. I wanted a boat to do baywork, large estuary or light offshore/inshore work in fair conditions (with the ability to get home if the wind blows up more than expected). I ended up staying with my 5m haines cc but always wondered about a UB 520 or 580.

One thing is for sure is they're popular with the fly fishos who cross rough water to fish estuaries and flats and also get out to give the tuna a touch-up, but they don't troll for spaniards or marlin either.

Any opinions on longboats vs beamier boats as a southern waters allrounder fellas?

Franco

They will handle just about anything you throw at em mate , if your ever going to come unstuck in a Long Boat it will be in a following sea and that will be from giving it to much stick for that wave on that day , but so to will alot of other types of boats.

Surf and bar crossings not a problem at all

For shallow ground , flats , surf and estuaries there is another type of long boat that is much better suited than the UB type which is based on a caroliner dory? but without the coffin well. It's 6m and will plane with 25hp empty , with 40hp it will plane with 500kg on board , 60 hp plus and it's one crazy boat , it's called a Jonathan Long Boat and its ally , you won't find it on the net because it's a one of and sits here in Ingham

cheers
SC

DALEPRICE
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
by memory it was fairly good in all departments, it deffinately had
a sweet spot in a following sea and seemed to respond better to
a bit more throttle as it had a big bow and would just punch over it.

good luck but it really is a personal choice and you need to fish out of them
to get a feel for the beast.

feel free to pm me if you would like more info.
cheers dale

Cav(J.C.)
15-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Hi Smashed crabs,
Went through all the agony of trying to buy an ally long boat in Aus--before the financial crash. Got sick of arrogant boat builders telling me or implying that I was an idiot, and their "plate boats"were superior to anything built.
I gave up, tried to buy a Panga from Florida, but it was all too difficult.
Was at the Manila Yacht club in the Philippines and saw exactly what I wanted in Glass.
Cut a long story--etc--had one custom built as a fishing boat.
28 ft
Centre console, self draining, 150HP 4stroke yammy,
All electronics--everything done by the Boat builder.
Today is it's first birthday, and I'm wrapped.
I goo out to the shelf from the Gold coast, sometimes in company, sometimes on my own,and it's dry, economical, and smooth through the water at any speed.
One of the great things is, it does not have to "Get over the hump" so looking for fisk or trolling at that awkward speed, does not occur.
Look at Tronqued boats on the internet, or have a look at mine.

regards,
Cav(J.C.)
Contact me at ddg38@bigpond.net.au
or 0755772872

smashed crabs
15-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi Smashed crabs,
Went through all the agony of trying to buy an ally long boat in Aus--before the financial crash. Got sick of arrogant boat builders telling me or implying that I was an idiot, and their "plate boats"were superior to anything built.
I gave up, tried to buy a Panga from Florida, but it was all too difficult.
Was at the Manila Yacht club in the Philippines and saw exactly what I wanted in Glass.
Cut a long story--etc--had one custom built as a fishing boat.
28 ft
Centre console, self draining, 150HP 4stroke yammy,
All electronics--everything done by the Boat builder.
Today is it's first birthday, and I'm wrapped.
I goo out to the shelf from the Gold coast, sometimes in company, sometimes on my own,and it's dry, economical, and smooth through the water at any speed.
One of the great things is, it does not have to "Get over the hump" so looking for fisk or trolling at that awkward speed, does not occur.
Look at Tronqued boats on the internet, or have a look at mine.

regards,
Cav(J.C.)
Contact me at ddg38@bigpond.net.au
or 0755772872

Cav nice plug

Thanks for your time and effort to make a post towards this thread.

I only support Australian made and owned when it come to boats.With the exception of a couple of Kiwi imports.

Aussies build the best boats for Australia and if we have to hold hands with someone it will be them little kiwi's, just to keep em busy so they stop thinking about swimming over here. ( yeah alright they do know how to build a good boat too).

Kindest Regards and i wish you well with your boat
Smashed Crabs

krazyfisher
15-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Cav nice plug

Thanks for your time and effort to make a post towards this thread.

I only support Australian made and owned when it come to boats.With the exception of a couple of Kiwi imports.

Aussies build the best boats for Australia and if we have to hold hands with someone it will be them little kiwi's, just to keep em busy so they stop thinking about swimming over here. ( yeah alright they do know how to build a good boat too).

Kindest Regards and i wish you well with your boat
Smashed Crabs

Smashed crab....why do you only support aussie build boats(oh except kiwi)??
Aussies build the best boats for australia... where do you think long boats came from??? longreach???? long boats come from many places none of them australia. Most boat designs are not from australia.

I am all for australian built but lets be real we are now in a global economy and a global market. as far as I know all motors come from overseas and 90% of cars used to tow the boats also add most of the rods and reels.

you are asking all these questions and giving no value back! all you appear to do is have a go at or knock any responses you get.

smashed crabs
16-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Smashed crab....why do you only support aussie build boats(oh except kiwi)??
Aussies build the best boats for australia... where do you think long boats came from??? longreach???? long boats come from many places none of them australia. Most boat designs are not from australia.

I am all for australian built but lets be real we are now in a global economy and a global market. as far as I know all motors come from overseas and 90% of cars used to tow the boats also add most of the rods and reels.

you are asking all these questions and giving no value back! all you appear to do is have a go at or knock any responses you get.

Mate what are you on about ??
I couldn't care what type of boat is was or even who come up with the idea , i choose Australian made by aussie hands when it comes to boats , so what the problem with that??huh!!

As for your last remark , i think you may be reading into it to much
I respect every comment made even if it's negative and i thank you for your's

Regards
Smashed Crabs

Noelm
17-05-2010, 08:16 AM
Don't know if you spotted this, but in amongst the 10 million boats on Sydney harbour to grett Jessica Watson, a lone longboat was zipping around in the mess of boats, so there you go, longboats figure in about 1 in god knows how many boats on the water, Hardly a mass market I would think regardless of how good (or bad) they may be

smashed crabs
17-05-2010, 08:55 AM
Totally agree with you there on that one .
The purpose of this thread was to draw out what Long Boats lack when it come to the boats the majority of us fish from .

If i had to choose a boat for deep water or reef the old long boat would never be on my list at a suitable candidate. Been there and done that and it's back breaking work , low sides are just the start .

However long boats do have other purposes that they do perform well in but more so to suit commercial applications rather than recreational .

For the life on me i just can't understand why someone has not taken on the wisdom of words from others that have and always will point out why long boats just don't cut it ?

Yes long boat are economical to run , yes they handle very well but unless you have the back of a 18year old and the stamina to match these boats are just bloody hard to work a line from.

Long Boats will always be a far distant backrunner , If Long Boats are ever going to stake a claim amongst the norn they will have to change in a big way.

Cheers
SC

Crunchy
17-05-2010, 10:22 AM
these boats are just bloody hard to work a line from.

Why's that? Open layout, nothing to get in the way...don't understand this comment.

Some point's relating to some comments here....(I have a UB580 with 90 Hp 2-stk)

Bar crossing...in the past year I have crossed the bar 40? times....in some pretty hairy situations, the boat makes up for my lack of skill, have copped a few greenies into the boat on occaison and it deals with it (Big self draining scuppers), I trust my boat on the bar if not myself :lipsrsealed: The shallow draft is ideal for low tide crossings and getting about the river.

Ugly? Eye of the beholder I guess, plenty of blokes have come up to me at the ramp and said, "nice boat mate" :cool: so not everyone thinks their fugly.

Speed - no not the fastest boat I guess, cruise at around 40Kph (3,800 revs) and top speed about 60 Kph (5,000 revs) (In good conditions)

Low sides - doesn't bother me at all. Indeed there are advantages, very easy to boat a fish, no leaning over a high side with the chance of flipping over it! Would be great for divers, easy to get in and out of from the water, we use my boat for ocean charity swims for that reason. If I fell out I will just climb back in again so what's the problem? (Unless you were in a crock / shark infested place I guess). Has anyone here ever fallen out of a long boat? ...might be one of those imaginary issues.... I always wear the kill switch lanyard when under way though...just in case:undecided:

Rough sea handing - When it roughs up seems to cope really well, never ever felt the boat was not coping with the situation, it just gets on with the business.

Following sea - takes a little while to learn to drive in a following sea, but its no drama.

Stability at rest - Flex your comment surprises me, the delta hull and big chines makes the boat pretty stable at rest IMEO (In my Experienced opinion).

No toe holds - quite right, but I don't fish for marlin so never been a problem for me. Glad for the all around rails to lean against though.

Summary - the more I drive this boat the better I like it, I can handle it on my own with ease, great on the bar, gets up on the plane quickly and moves through the chop nicely, pretty economical, dry ride, great fishability, stable at rest, handles the rough when needed. But yeh its an open boat and subject to the elements and would be no good for extended / overnight trips.

Cheers
Crunchy

smashed crabs
17-05-2010, 11:41 AM
these boats are just bloody hard to work a line from.

Why's that? Open layout, nothing to get in the way...don't understand this comment.

Some point's relating to some comments here....(I have a UB580 with 90 Hp 2-stk)

Bar crossing...in the past year I have crossed the bar 40? times....in some pretty hairy situations, the boat makes up for my lack of skill, have copped a few greenies into the boat on occaison and it deals with it (Big self draining scuppers), I trust my boat on the bar if not myself :lipsrsealed: The shallow draft is ideal for low tide crossings and getting about the river.

Ugly? Eye of the beholder I guess, plenty of blokes have come up to me at the ramp and said, "nice boat boat mate" :cool: so not everyone thinks their fugly.

Speed - no not the fastest boat I guess, cruise at around 40Kph (3,800 revs) and top speed about 60 Kph (5,000 revs) (In good conditions)

Low sides - doesn't bother me at all. Indeed there are advantages, very easy to boat a fish, no leaning over a high side with the chance of flipping over it! Would be great for divers, easy to get in and out of from the water, we use my boat for ocean charity swims for that reason. If I fell out I will just climb back in again so what's the problem? (Unless you were in a crock / shark infested place I guess). Has anyone here ever fallen out of a long boat? ...might be one of those imaginary issues.... I always wear the kill switch lanyard when under way though...just in case:undecided:

Rough sea handing - When it roughs up seems to cope really well, never ever felt the boat was not coping with the situation, it just gets on with the business.

Following sea - takes a little while to learn to drive in a following sea, but its no drama.

Stability at rest - Flex your comment surprises me, the delta hull and big chines makes the boat pretty stable at rest IMEO (In my Experienced opinion).

No toe holds - quite right, but I don't fish for marlin so never been a problem for me. Glad for the all around rails to lean against though.

Summary - the more I drive this boat the better I like it, I can handle it on my own with ease, great on the bar, gets up on the plane quickly and moves through the chop nicely, pretty economical, dry ride, great fishability, stable at rest, handles the rough when needed. But yeh its an open boat and subject to the elements and would be no good for extended / overnight trips.

Cheers
Crunchy

Thanks Crunchy

I have spent many a year working out of one and i do love em so don't get me wrong , i am a big fan.

I have worked years at red's and silver's in the deeper water fishing out of one and i can say hauling big fish from depth is back braking , when i changed to a marlin savage for the same work is was just so much better to be able to have somthing to lean on , yes going to this boat i lost all that a Long Boat had going for it but man it was for me so much easier on me back.

The only problem i had from there was that the savage was very limited for other work , so i still had my favourite old long boat there to fill the gap.

Looking back on it all if my long boat had higher side to lean into i would never had got the savage . I had been in some hair raising open seas with that savage and i can tell ya it was on them days i wished i was in me long boat .

My wife hates long boats with a passion , she don't like the low sides and she don't like the looks , , even though many a time i have tried to convince her that she is more than safe in a long boat but it's the general appearance and layout that puts her off , she agrees on what a long boat can do but that is all . She likes boats that feel like your sitting in them with higher sides , she feel safer and far more protected in it also for the kids too. No matter what i say to my wife she always refers to long boats as "Chinese Junks ". Modern girl i guess with more modern tastes in boats and no where different than the general boating pop.

Im with you on what you wrote Crunchy but there are a few things on Long Boats that needs to be changed to bring em up a bit as a contender if im ever going to get my wife in one .Untill then im on me own.

Cheers
SC

Noelm
17-05-2010, 11:48 AM
so then, why do they have low sides? they could still be skinny and perform like they do with higher sides! we are not talking hundreds of kilos of cabin or something here, just a bit of extra height! then maybe more people would take a liking to them.

Badone
17-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Agree with Crunchy. I have had a UB670 with a 90 on the back since 1998 and never regretted it. Bit cold in winter and a bit wet when the wind is on the beam but apart from that I love this boat.
Fished all day off Hutchies, Flinders and Roberts last Tuesday with 3 pob and used 48 litres. Swell was about 2m with no wind chop. This boat eats up any swell but it is average in a medium length chop when going straight into it. What boat apart from a large cat or Formula isn't?? Very stable at rest and unsinkable if you cop a wave with the self draining floor. Down a wave can be tricky but easily fixed with some trim and good use of the throttle ( same as with most boats I would imagine).
Trailer can be a little tricky to set up with the Southwinds but once sorted it is not a problem. I regularly do the drive from brissie to 1770 and this boat tows like it isn't there with a single axle trailer. A day fishing at Lamont with 4 pob and 2 big eskies uses 85l. I bet not many rigs can boast those fuel figures. Motor is a 2005 90hp etec btw.
I am sure there are many good alternative boats out there but I have to say the long boat has served me well and most of my mates are lining up to buy it off me if I would let them.

Crunchy
17-05-2010, 12:28 PM
so then, why do they have low sides? they could still be skinny and perform like they do with higher sides! we are not talking hundreds of kilos of cabin or something here, just a bit of extra height! then maybe more people would take a liking to them.

I think because they were originally designed by the Japs for hauling nets over the side. They don't look quite right with high sides IMO but thre is a mob who makes a high sided version (Can't recall the name, a Brisvegas mob)

S.C. Thanks for the reply, unfortuantely for me I don't get to haul huge fish from the depths, just a few reefies from the shallows:cry: and even that's pretty scarce given this weekends result!

Badone - could I tap into your trailer set up experience mate? I need to do some set up work on mine and could do with some pointers...will send a PM.

Cheers
Crunchy

Scott nthQld
17-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Goodwin longboats in Ingham used to make his 5.7m version with high sides, dunno If the builder is still in operation now though, I know the owner took up a job on ET's Groote Eyelandt resort.

I've love to ave a long boat around the 5.5m mark, would be awesome for doing a bit of everything, and even more than capable off shore than a lot of other boats getting around

scorpionNQ
17-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Would have to agree with Crunchy and Badone. On my 3rd longboat (5.8, 6.7 and now 7.3) Great all round fishing boat especially up this end of QLD. Up the creeks chasing bait or out 100kms to the reef in good to fair weather. Been caught out in some ugly stuff and have never doubted the ability of the hull. Mine is a Yamaha hull now manufactured in PNG. It has a planked keel and only 8 deg dead rise so is very stable at rest. The downer is in a following sea (like crunch said) learn to drive it with trim, and fitting a permatrim helps this also. And you can't go flat out in rough water like a deep vee can. Some ppl class the hooker as a long boat, but it is really a semi longboat, and rides nearly the opposite, very tippy at rest but great in most sea conditions underway. The low sides put alot of lads off these great boats, however I find a bow/side rails a must, and my rails seem just to be at a good height. No toe holds, don't think I have ever had a boat with them so not an issue.

Noelm- just for you mate, Goodwin longboats up here in Ingham have been making a higher sided longboat for a while now. Works well and look good. Unfortunatly he has closed up for a few years to take a break, hopefully he will re-open down the track again.

Like most CC, they will get wet from time to time. As much as I admire these hulls, I probably wouldn't have any CC if I was living in the southern states. These boats are ideal for where I live and my fishing styles. We all know any boat will have some compromise, and we each have our own agenda whether it be family/ski/river/bay or offshore fishing. These boats are capable to cover most of these activities. Before the longboat I had a 625 Cruise craft, it was also a great boat, however I found I didn't spend half as much time out on the water than I have done with these 'easy to own and operate' style longboats.
Each to there own!
Cheers
Lee

smashed crabs
17-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Hey some really great comments here lads , thanks.

I want to try and knock up a cross over if thats the right word for it , we here have really only ever seen the more common type of Long Boat and really have been stuck with the same images in our minds , Long Boats needn't have a low profile and can be beefed up with a bit more style added to it to improve the looks .

I didn't like Gavins boats but when he started to knock out the high sided model i was more than impressed with it , it's a shame he shut up shop , i was very close to getting him to build me one , if i did it would have been the last boat before he went.

Me and my wife are having a little war over which type to build first , i want the Long Boat but im willing to compromise and steer away from the typical type we all know just to do this and keep her happy (if thats possible ) .
Whereas she does not want a long boat at all and instead just wants a normal type CC boat instead and as she says not open for discussion"

Im working on it , all in good time for this one .

Cheers and thanks again
SC

Cav(J.C.)
17-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi Smashed crabs,
Been a good post. Stirred up some passion.
Everyone 's opinion should be generated by personal experience.
My last boat before my "tronqued long boat" was a 40 ft Diesel powered cat.-17 ft beam, and very handy when the weather turned crook and I was out wide. I never fished more than four people, and enjoyed it for over 25 years.
I'm now 68 years old, and have a long boat. I fish a max of three, or go on my own.Doesn't worry me. I fish the same areas as i did with the Cat. A trip out to the shelf, N.E. from the gold coast--distance travelled through the day--80 naut.miles. Fuel used--102 litres. Engine--150 Yammy 4 stroke.
I don't get a bad back--no more than I did on the cat. While it can get a bit joggely side on, there are plenty of things to brace on or sit on.
Horses for courses--because of the large high chines, the boat is dry, good in a following sea, and the sides are high enough to feel secure.
There is padding on the inside of the gunwhale to allow knee bracing.
the main thing with a longboat, is that it must be long enough for the job.
This boat is 28 ft, which allows higher freeboard.
Cost to me fully fitted out,Yammy, northstar sounder, GPS plotter, radio,, E.F.T,arrive at the Runaway bay marina--launch and turn the key--change out of $75000.
Would love to send a photo, but don't know how.
Just the boat for Ingham if you could:cool: convince the missus.
She might allow you to go to the Philippines to check it out--mine did, but then again, I'm past temptation.
Best wishes,
Cav(J.C.)

scorpionNQ
17-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Sounds good Cav, send me a few pics if you can (lee@aonisibathrooms.com.au) Cheers

SC- Goodwins boats previous to his high siders were PNG yamaha hulls only which he then fitted out. The new high side moulds were completly his. He still has the moulds and one day he could resume making them again. I too would have loved to have one built, and was devistated to find out he was closing up.I would have purchased the 6850 even though I have the lower sided longer 7300 his looked bigger and better in most area's. I have not even seen a second hand 6850 on the markey yet.

In reading your last post, do a search on the Southwind 770 (offshore) and the later 880 Southern star. A CC semi longboat with a greater deadrise (a lot better looking too). Maybe bigger and more $$ than you want to spend. I know these boats have a good rep and are scarce on the second hand market.
Worth a look though.
Cheers Lee

smashed crabs
17-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Sounds good Cav, send me a few pics if you can (lee@aonisibathrooms.com.au) Cheers

SC- Goodwins boats previous to his high siders were PNG yamaha hulls only which he then fitted out. The new high side moulds were completly his. He still has the moulds and one day he could resume making them again. I too would have loved to have one built, and was devistated to find out he was closing up.I would have purchased the 6850 even though I have the lower sided longer 7300 his looked bigger and better in most area's. I have not even seen a second hand 6850 on the markey yet.

In reading your last post, do a search on the Southwind 770 (offshore) and the later 880 Southern star. A CC semi longboat with a greater deadrise (a lot better looking too). Maybe bigger and more $$ than you want to spend. I know these boats have a good rep and are scarce on the second hand market.
Worth a look though.
Cheers Lee

Going to go ally and build ourselves on this one , i did take a look at a second hand glass Long Boat about a year or so ago , i think it was a Striker ? and around 30ft , it had an impressive layout , full lenght berth , dunny , kitchen and all that stuff and powerd with a 135hp donk , this was as close as i got to having the wife interested , photo's at a glance where unreal untill we drove up to take a look .

As for the Gavin's boats they are like rocking horse poop , good boats dont often pop up for sale , just to good to get rid of .

I took a look at Cairns Custom Craft , they make a few different configurations , i thought if i passed that one pass the misses she might reconcider but she still thinks a little to much olden days , i guess i go for funtion and practicality whereas she leans towards looks and the norm.

I suppose in many ways i still have to much commercial salt stuck in me veins , where my wife is dead set in thinking all pro's have crap looking boat's.
It's a hard one and she will enjoy reading all the post's on this thread.

Cav just for you mate , we took a look at them boats , my wife was very impressed and i have to say i like them too , we do relise the way the world turns these days but for us we do try to buy Australian made in any way possible , every little bit helps , thanks again for your post im sure it will be very usefull.

Cheers
SC

firstlight
18-05-2010, 12:27 AM
hay sc

hope all is working out for you mate.

things have taken a turn for the not so good for me,.. my partner in life has been diaged with brest cancer so thats where my focus has been. had a couple tonite but hope ur going ok, really been enjoying your posts from time to time had a longboat (southwind 60 yam best boat ever) enjoy mate cheers brett

myusernam
18-05-2010, 09:10 AM
my 10 cents

to the guys who said longboats are tippy at rest - which ones?

the yamah ub series certainly are not.. I imagine the hookers might be but they are just a 5m deep vhull with an extra m on the back. Most true longboats have a fairly flat bottom and sit across several chops rather than a deep v slicing through them imho. Plenty aroung in north aus and shed loads in south east asia. marketed widely in us as panga boats. work well in north because better in chop and warm seas..not as good in oceanic swell.

Bill murray in townsville makes sabre? longboats (ex hubert lowe? in cairns) josh kraut in townsville (ex ryan moody) has one in charter and there's one in cairns also.

there's also the stinger longboats and flying lizard or something like that. One thing lb's seem to have that sets them apart is rocker (banana shape) which helps in the ride.

All glass but good for ideas.

Gavins 6850 still looked like a flop moulded ub680 with the stern cutout filled and higher sides. Looked good though. One thing I have wondered is if the higher sides make them tip more. because lb's are narrow I think the sides are kept low so they dont tip around too much.

finally i think there aren't many in ally mainly because aluminium boats are creek boats but also if you did make one out of ally you could have issues with flex and cracking/ twisting etc. everything can be overcome but there is a superior and stronger material out there than aluminium which is better in almost every respect except in cosmetic impact damage and it's called fibreglass. insert arguements now.

the best looking ally one to my eye that I have seen around is the tiger 23

and sc yeah the pro's cat roughness I meant finish - flowcoat runs and stuff. not in to neat and tidy myself but make a half arsed attempt at stopping paint runs!

smashed crabs
18-05-2010, 09:41 AM
hay sc

hope all is working out for you mate.

things have taken a turn for the not so good for me,.. my partner in life has been diaged with brest cancer so thats where my focus has been. had a couple tonite but hope ur going ok, really been enjoying your posts from time to time had a longboat (southwind 60 yam best boat ever) enjoy mate cheers brett

Hey Brett thanks mate , nice plug for the Southwind and yes they are a great boat ,the mob living next to me uncle have had one for as long as i can remeber . Every time i see it i ask them to sell it to me , they just laugh at me and say pig will fly.

As for us we are doing just fine concidering , we always remain positive no matter what gets into the mix , if a person want's somthing bad enough then chances are you will get it no matter the jumps ahead .

Sorry to hear about your wife mate and we wish her all the best , both of you will come out of it just fine no matter which direction , always remain positive and focused on what lays ahead and bow down for no one , as far as negative stuff goes there isnt any , always be prepared for the worst and relise if that ever happens it's not a bad thing and just the way it was meant to be.

Again all the best to both of you
SC
ps if you need to chat anytime just send me a pm (we have been though similar)

ifishcq1
18-05-2010, 08:31 PM
mine is as deep sided as any other average boat and certainly way more stable at rest than all other mono hulls except for barges and big flat bottomed cruisers and no cat slap while trolling
purpose functional beats pretty every time
4 guys +300ltr fuel +100kg ice +20kg bait +fishing gear with 2square metres of fishing room per person travell at 50km/hr 4,300 revs 1.3km/ltr
or 75km/hr at 6,100 .9km/ltr
in answer to those that whinge about getting a bit wet in shirty weather 1/either smarten up and sit somewhere else or 2/ harden up we aren't going to the ballet

cheers

smashed crabs
19-05-2010, 12:08 AM
harden up we aren't going to the ballet

cheers

My vote for Quote of the week :cool:

Cheers
SC

myusernam
19-05-2010, 09:21 AM
mine is as deep sided as any other average boat and certainly way more stable at rest than all other mono hulls except for barges and big flat bottomed cruisers and no cat slap while trolling
purpose functional beats pretty every time
4 guys +300ltr fuel +100kg ice +20kg bait +fishing gear with 2square metres of fishing room per person travell at 50km/hr 4,300 revs 1.3km/ltr
or 75km/hr at 6,100 .9km/ltr
in answer to those that whinge about getting a bit wet in shirty weather 1/either smarten up and sit somewhere else or 2/ harden up we aren't going to the ballet

cheers

hell yeah id rather a bit of spray than to be in the cabin up in the spine compression zone of a hard riding plate boat!

White Pointer
19-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Don't know if you spotted this, but in amongst the 10 million boats on Sydney harbour to grett Jessica Watson, a lone longboat was zipping around in the mess of boats, so there you go, longboats figure in about 1 in god knows how many boats on the water, Hardly a mass market I would think regardless of how good (or bad) they may be

G'day,

Long boats are popular in marinas and around harbours as work boats. They are very good tugs for putting yachts on moorings and moving them in and out of maintenance.

That lone long boat may have been Sydney Harbour's yacht rescue service.

Regards,

White Pointer