PDA

View Full Version : Tlit Tube Help

Mindi
07-05-2010, 10:11 AM
replacing cable steer on yammy 60/4strk with hydrive. Cut old cable rod to get out no probs but i reckon my tilt tube is bent..? old or new push rod wont go thru easily.....presume i can replace but is it home job..? like...when you take it out I presume the motor falls over..?

have improved it with 5/8 drill and dowel emery but i still reckon bent....how would that happen..?

John

Noelm
07-05-2010, 11:06 AM
be pretty unusual for one to get bent, more than likely full of rusty crap, it is a home job to replace, but it is a crap job to do, the motor will fall off, so it needs to be "hung" from something when you remove the tilt tube, but try cleaning it good first.

Mindi
07-05-2010, 07:32 PM
yeah thks... will have to use a workshop as i cant hang it... tube wont go in easily from either end but goes more than halfway...it's bent..trailing without support (fell off) from Darwin to Sunny Coast might have something to do with it..?

a 5/8th drill starts to run into one wall about 3" in from end.. i think i can even see the bend with naked eye...thanks advice...what a bugger

the tube is worth $159 from Yamaha....hmmmm

FNQCairns
07-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Noelms right it's not bent unless there is something major your not telling us, you need to ream the inside of the tube than all will be good. Should do this anyway, just you might need to do it a bit more.

edit sorry I just read your last post, I should streamline my opening to posting.

cormorant
07-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Wrecker will be cheaper and was a common part for many motors.

How the hell do you bend one ? I have used a masonary drill as they work better as a ream with only a cutting edge at the tip. Slip it out and if it is really bent a block of wood and a hammer will straighten it and desacle it all at once or if you have access to a press or car jack and a suitable gap??.

Can do at home , one of your mates will have a engine removal stand and just use some webbing to hold it upright Block of wood under the skeg and you lift front of trailer up and down so never taking weight of motor

It is a quick job once you get it all loosened up and with 2 blokes you don't need stands or anything just the block of wood under the skeg.

You wonder why dealers don't do it in their services - slack mongrels.

kizza1
08-05-2010, 07:17 AM
all you need dto do is take the weight off it. if you have an overhead beam that will support the weight use the jockey wheel as your engine crane.
wind it all the way down, then hook some chain to the power head and then wind the jockey wheel up.
it sounds a bit bush mechanics but it works.