PDA

View Full Version : Duralac

PinHead
07-05-2010, 05:07 AM
I am fitting out the new tinny..most items are being riveted in to avoid dissimilar metals problems. Some I need to use screws..stainless.

I have some duralac...also using nylon washers to try and keep contact to a minimum. Do you coat the screw in Duralac prior to fitting it or put it on after you have finished ????

trymyluck
07-05-2010, 05:29 AM
I am fitting out the new tinny..most items are being riveted in to avoid dissimilar metals problems. Some I need to use screws..stainless.

I have some duralac...also using nylon washers to try and keep contact to a minimum. Do you coat the screw in Duralac prior to fitting it or put it on after you have finished ????

Mate I used it on the screws prior to screwing them in although I did a trial fit on most things and then pulled it apart, cleaned up and then applied the duralac.

Mark

trymyluck
07-05-2010, 05:30 AM
I'd also use it on the rivits.

PWCDad
07-05-2010, 05:49 AM
I like to let it dry a little in the drilled hole first, coat the bolt thread as well,then fit it up.

A tooth pick works well to apply to the drilled hole. Stick it in the tube just enough to get a large drop on the tip of the tooth pick.

At times I have been really fussy and shrunk some heat shrink on the thread of the stainless bolt and then trimmed with a scalpel. In conjunction with the nylon washers its not in contact with the ally at all then. Duro does a good job though.

I also use durlo on gal {trailer} when drilled for lights et cetera. When using stainless washers I coat them on one side with a small paint brush, let dry, coat the surface on the gal, then assemble.

Its getting expensive now!!!

PWCDad

PinHead
07-05-2010, 05:58 AM
I'd also use it on the rivits.

no need for that..using Al rivets

murf
07-05-2010, 06:59 AM
no need for that..using Al rivets

but from experience they are on a diff level on the galvanic scale to the boats ally and still will bubble your paint

put it on the rivets mate ;)

cheers Murf

Crocodile
07-05-2010, 07:12 AM
I have tried Duralac between the cast bow roller(chromed bronze ????) and the checkerplate deck.
There was still a lot of corrosion.
I am now trying ordinary gasket goo as used under engine tappet covers etc.
Duralac may work OK but it is very nasty stuff, very toxic and carcinogenic, be careful with it.

Hunt-N-Gather
07-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I have used Lanolin many times ,about the consistency of grease with success in the past.(It doesn't dry out)
Duralac is way over priced for me but a tube does go along way.

TheRealAndy
07-05-2010, 08:34 AM
If the threads of the screw will bite into the aluminuim (thats what screws are supposed to do) then duralac wont work. The idea with duralac is that you get total electrical isolation between the 2 materials. If you cant use a bolt, then use rivits.

finga
07-05-2010, 08:45 AM
I just use the lanolin grease too.
Seems to work as my boat has no corrosion around the screws and rivets and things after 4 or 5 years.
A bit used to come out when the boat got hot in the sun for a fair while after I fitted the little bugger out but a wipe and all cleaned up.
It has a capillary action too to get into all the voids when it gets hot.
I just dip the screw or rivet or what-ever into the pot of grease and in she goes.

wags on the water
07-05-2010, 09:21 AM

Before fitting Greg.

suzygs1000
07-05-2010, 12:43 PM
but from experience they are on a diff level on the galvanic scale to the boats ally and still will bubble your paint

put it on the rivets mate ;)

cheers Murf

No need for Duralac if you are using aluminium rivets with an ALUMINIUM mandrel, however, the aluminium rivets you buy from Bunnings and hardware stores have a steel mandrel, and you do need to use Duralac.

Aluminium rivets with aluminium mandrels are available from BCF.

DAve.

PinHead
07-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Andy..using metal threads..would never use self tapping on Al.

The rivets do have Al mandrel.

Thanks wags, that is what I thought and have done. Now I just have to finish it one day. Even got a name and stickers for it also...will post some pics when all is done.

SNAPPERCOFFIN
07-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Pin head use duralac on the ali rivits as well they wont be the same grade as the ali on the boat 2 differant grades of ali will react.

PinHead
09-05-2010, 05:53 AM
thanks for the info..I will put some pics up of the fitout when completed.

and..ya just won't belive the great name that will be on the side of it.
No hints either Phill or Mike. (those 2 know what it is)

gr hilly
09-05-2010, 07:45 AM
PINHEAD what elec motor have you decided on mate,i still cant make my mind up?
glynn