PDA

View Full Version : New 60 hp Suzuki 4st Fuel Efficiency

barneyII
05-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Hi guys

just want to let you know about the fuel efficiency of my new 60 Suzuki. Have put it on a Haines 445C which had a 1996 50 hp Mercury 2st on it when I bought it late last year. Had to wait for the new suzuki's to come out after deciding to try it over the yamaha.

Worth the wait, really quite and GREAT on the fuel. Used to troll using 4.5 L/hr, now use less than 0.5 L/hr. These tests were using a Navman fuel flow meter and don't work where fuel flow drops below the 0.5 L/hr.

At cruising speed of 30-35 km/hr I use about 5-6 L/hr, much less than the 50 hp Merc 2st that was using about 14 L/hr. Trolls at a great speed and sits on the plane really well.

After having it for about 20 hrs now, my only complaint would be where the telltale is. It is on the starboard side and when you flush the outboard with the hose it sprays back off the hose. I liked the older suzuki's that you could spin the telltale around at the back and face upwards so you could first see that they were running (too quiet) and also see the telltale easily when on the plane.

Here is a pic of my fuel economy graph - note the exceptional fuel efficiency when trolling, but just as good when doing 30 km per hour (at least using half of what I was using).

Andrew

Steeler
05-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Consider a water pressure gauge if that part of things are a concern.

Steeler

Scott Mitchell
11-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Andrew - I also have the new 60 Suzuki & have been very pleased with performance on our Haines 485SF.

I have connected a Lowrance Fuel Flow sensor ( EP 60R ) which I believe is a similar paddle wheel sensor that runs in the fuel line & is connected to a LMF400 gauge. So far the accuracy on the fuel flow is waaaay out - and reads all over the place ?

What fuel gauge are you running the nav man through - My Fuel flow sensor may be faulty ?

Regards Scotto

murf
11-05-2010, 08:04 AM
sweet

cheers Murf

Bowser
11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Why wouldn't you just connect the motor into your NMEA network? Bugger the fuel flow meter.

Scott Mitchell
11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Why wouldn't you just connect the motor into your NMEA network? Bugger the fuel flow meter.

Because suzuki do not have an interface lead for the new 60's yet :cry:

Regards Scotto

Xtreme
11-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Hey Scotto,

Have you tried the re-calibrate function on the LMF-400 each tank to reduce the variability? I know it's much different on the engine interface where it measures actual injector flow but after 2 recal's, I was always within 0.5 Lt's of 135lt's with the DF140.

Just a thought, Steve

NTMID8
11-05-2010, 08:24 PM
If you dont mind me asking mate what sort of coin are they fetching?

barneyII
10-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Scott

Running a navman f210 I think. It was prettty good out of the box, but have calibrated it, now within 1 l generally.