PDA

View Full Version : How to remove cable from Teleflex quick connect helm?

davez104
05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
It's got me buggered. Is the cable outer even able to be removed from the helm? I've pulled the pin out, but it doesn't like the cable will come out. Theunit can't be pulled apart either by the look of it, so where to from here?

Dave.

barra_cuda81
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Once the pin is out, turn the steering wheel in the direction you need the cable to come out.

murf
05-05-2010, 04:07 PM
there is another hole to push into to pull cable out

yep its a replacement jobbie as they are unserviceable

cheers Murf

davez104
05-05-2010, 04:10 PM
The helm is OK, I want to use it on another boat I have, but need to change the cables over. I've tried turning the wheel, but it only goes to the normal positions. I'll have another look for this other hole.

Dave.

Bowser
05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
There is a locking bolt holding the cable in position. Until you remove this the cable will not move.

davez104
05-05-2010, 05:26 PM
No, no locking bolt on this one. There are no bolts at all anywhere on the unit. Just the one pin that you can pull out, but it doesn't appear to do anything. I thought it was supposed to release the cable, but doesn't. The cable outer spins so I don't think it's frozen in there.

Doesn't matter, I'll make some calls in the morning, maybe even post here, to see if I can replace the tilt steering mechanism that's broken. I just wanted to use the quick release helm off my old tinny as a stop gap so I can get out fishing this weekend, not even sure that the cables are interchangeable, was just living in hope :)

Cheers,
Dave.

GBC
05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
The pin was in the storage hole.

Take it out of that hole and jamb it into the other hole to unlock the steering.
Turn the wheel (left if I remember correctly?) and the cable will feed out.

Place pin back in storage hole...

murf
05-05-2010, 08:22 PM
The pin was in the storage hole.

Take it out of that hole and jamb it into the other hole to unlock the steering.
Turn the wheel (left if I remember correctly?) and the cable will feed out.

Place pin back in storage hole...

yeah what he said haha, much better explanation than my quick half hearted attempt :smiley:

cheers Murf