PDA

View Full Version : 75 Honda v E-Tec Fuel Efficiency and Noise Level

NormC
05-05-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm getting closer to selecting my new boat and am now focussed on motor options. My main choices are Honda or Evinrude E-Tec (due to range carried by dealers). I've never owned either.

I'm particularly interested in the fuel efficiency and noise level comparison between the two motors. The Honda is more expensive but with with around 300 hrs of use per year, any fuel saving may close the gap. Also, having got used to the low noise levels of a 4 stroke on current boat (Mercury EFI), I want to keep engine noise low.

I'm in a remote area, so reliability is very important, but this should not be a problem with either choice. It is over 1,000 KM to an authorised repairer for warranty work on either.

Norm C

Noelm
05-05-2010, 08:34 AM
never been a fan of X Verses Y things, but as a general rule, both those motors will be very similar in fuel use and noise levels, one might be better at idle, one might be better at mid range, but over all the "total cost of ownership" will be very colse, the Honda is a great engine, but then so is the e-tec.

business class
05-05-2010, 09:35 AM
HONDA IMO 4stroke always wins

Flex
05-05-2010, 02:15 PM
If you live remotely then you may find the convenience of the E-tec servicing schedule easier on the budget. Nothing worse than towing your boat hundreds of kms every 6 months just for a service. Especially since 4 strokes need extra servicing within the first 100h period.

But I think 4 strokes have a better re-sale value. So all depends on how long you plan on owning it. Also whats your access to xd100 oil like?

In terms of performance whats the weight of each outboard? and their CC's?

Bowser
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
And Yamaha are releasing there new 70 HP which is substantially lighter then anything else in the range.

Skusto
05-05-2010, 07:58 PM
go the etec low mtce costs plenty of torque

dodgyone
05-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Dont forget the 75 Hondas are the same motor as the 90's. Fair bit of weight there.

Spaniard_King
05-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Go the Honda,

If you need any guidance simply PM me and I will talk you through it..... Now go try and find an Etec Techo that will/can do that for you :)

Huey
07-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi, I do not have a problem if Norm contacts myself and I will fill him in with the facts and we have been in the outboard industry for over 45 years and have sold and service all the brands and in fact we would be better off if we choose to sold any brand of 4-Stroke due to making more money in the required servicing.

At the end of the day mate all modern clean tech engines are good and it really comes down to which brand has the best service centre in your area because gone are the days that anyone can work on these modern outboards without the proper training and tools and most issues we see thru here are related to how the engine was set-up by a dealer that does not know or care waht they are doing.

Cheers,

Huey.

snodger 08
07-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Norm I have a 90 etech and recently went on a charter the bloke had a honda 4stroke I think it was a 75. Not sure about economy but the 4 stroke wins with noise levels. I have also had a few problems with the etechs injectors and mapping, but that may be a rarity tho.
Steve

NormC
07-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the advice and views guys.

In the end, it came down to $. I blew the budget a bit on the boat and the deal I was offered on the E-Tec was about $2,000 better than the Honda. Yes, that will also be reflected in resale, but I'm buying the boat for fishing, not to sell.

Without the $ difference, I would have slightly preferred the Honda, but the E-Tec also has some benefits. I'm happy with the choice.

I chose a Bluefin Wrangler 4.75 for the boat. Matching boats with particular motors is not easy due to the way dealers work. For Bluefin dealers that I have ready access to, it came down to Honda, Evinrude or Mercury. The Mercury dealer was not quite as sharp on price and the Merc is heavier in the size I would have chosen. That left Honda and E- Tec. But as said above, they are all pretty good these days. I've previously owned Mercury (twice), Yamaha and Evinrude (pre E-Tec) and Johnson. Have had a good run with them all, except the Jonno, which died - but it was about 20 years old.

Norm C

Huey
07-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi Norm, congradulations on your new rig and we have no trouble selling second hand E-TEC and get good money for them-in fact last I-3 we had second hand sold within 2 days of us trading and only for a few grand less than new. That said I am sure a late model 4-Stroke, still in warranty, would sell OK too.

Make sure they rig and prop correctly and ideal WOT RPM wants to be 5000-5200 for the I-3 and use good 3/8 fuel line and good fuel.

I also agree a good EFI 4-Stroke at idle is a touch quieter, not that the E-TEC is noisey, but at cruising speed it is the opposite due to the DI not revving as hard, it is a touch quieter. As I tell people all the time all clean engines are very similar in fuel usage, noise and emissions some just go a bit better and cost less to own than other brands.

I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of her and flush it after eash use and remove prop occasionally and check for fishing line, as any outboard owner should do.

Cheers,

Huey.

NormC
07-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks Huey, some good advice there. Up where I am, the only water is bore water with a fair bit of calcium in it. But we are a touch over 30 KM up from the mouth, so by the time we get back, the boat has been running in pretty fresh water. Late in the dry season it starts to get a bit salty, but not too bad.

My practice so far has been to only flush when the boat won't be used for a few weeks or more. Normally, it get about 3 runs a week. Is that a reasonable practice or should I do something different?

I understand I can get the motor set up for either the expensive Evinrude oil or normal 2 stroke?? Without regard to cost, what do you suggest?

Fuel is what you get up here. Just one outlet nearby and couple of others 40 KM away in Borroloola. I think they all get deliveries from the same truck. Normal unleaded comes from Singapore and is said to be slightly lower octane than Australian stuff. Some people choose to use premium instead of normal unleaded, but I've never had any trouble with the standard stuff. But I have installed a water separating fuel filter for the current Mercury EFI 4 stroke. Will have one in the new boat as well.

Norm C

stinky-stabi
07-05-2010, 07:19 PM

hivalley
08-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Hi Norm,

If you own an Evinrude E-Tec the best advice I can give is to join the Evinrude E-TEC Owners Message Board at http://www.etecownersgroup.com/ (http://www.etecownersgroup.com/)

This is no dough the best outboard owners support group in the world, the amount of information available here is mind blowing, free advice is available from expert’s world wide and the site is extremely friendly and helpful. There is no bagging other brands and no 2 stroke v 4 stroke BS. The sole focus of the group is to share information on E-Tec outboards and to help each other with any problems. It is a credit to the forum owner and moderators that run this site.

BTW a lot of people will know who the new member Huey that replied to your post is, they will also know what his industry experience and qualifications are, Huey also gives his time free to the E-TEC Owners Message Board and is a moderator on the site, and you can’t go wrong with his advice.

Good luck with your new rig Norm and tight lines mate:wink:

NormC
08-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks Hivalley. I've registered on the E-Tec ownes group. Looks to be a great site. I've seen many post by Huey and it is clear that his advice is highly regarded on the site. Thanks for the tip.

Norm C

hivalley
08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks Hivalley. I've registered on the E-Tec ownes group. Looks to be a great site. I've seen many post by Huey and it is clear that his advice is highly regarded on the site. Thanks for the tip.

Norm C

No problems mate, I post as SavageEtec on that site if you want to g'day, also seen your post on the new Bluefin, nice looking boat should be great up there in the McArthur:wink:

bert
08-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi Norm i have just purchased a wrangler myself i settled for the 60 hp honda just to keep the price down .Seems to go quite well but time will tell as i only have 5 hours up on it so far.

Cheers Rob

Jabba_
09-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Nice choice Norm, the 75 E-tec is a pearl.... As the others have already told you the Etec forum is full off great infomation.... See you over there, I go by the name Dangermouse.....

NormC
09-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Hi Norm i have just purchased a wrangler myself i settled for the 60 hp honda just to keep the price down .Seems to go quite well but time will tell as i only have 5 hours up on it so far.

Cheers Rob

Good one Rob. I went for the bigger motor due to the distances we travel up here, the fact that I'm getting the 120 litre fuel tank and I will be adding Minn Kota, batteries etc.
Would you believe I've never even seen a Wrangler, only pics, specs and reviews. Due to my location I had to take the plunge and order sight unseen.

Good luck with your Wrangler - how about a pic or two?

Norm C

bert
09-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Norm i went for the 60 after talking to the dealer he said there is a need to go any bigger .Mine has the standard 80L tank ,plus minn kota ,bimini top ,cd player,hds 5 sounder /chart plotter.I will post some photos shortly.

Cheers Rob