PDA

View Full Version : RTO's for Coxwains Ticket

Xtreme
04-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone provide me with experiences on the various Registered Training Organisations in Brisbane / Goldy who provide the various prerequisite training for a Coxwains ticket.

(Please send any not so good reports via PM as I am not a fan of public baggings)

Also interested in idea's as to where I can clock up some sea hours under an authorised Master.

Cheers, Steve.

Marlin_Mike
04-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone provide me with experiences on the various Registered Training Organisations in Brisbane / Goldy who provide the various prerequisite training for a Coxwains ticket.

(Please send any not so good reports via PM as I am not a fan of public baggings)

Also interested in idea's as to where I can clock up some sea hours under an authorised Master.

Cheers, Steve.

Where are you Steve? VMR Raby Bay and other VMR's are RTO's. Join up and all it costs you for the training is your time. At the end you do an exam with MSQ and you qualify for a commercial coxswians ticket. You do all the modules and sea time with VMR on duty. If you are Brisbane, come down to VMR Raby Bay this Saturday. We are having a big open day, you will see what its all about, and I can take you round the base and vessels and fill you in as to whats expected and whats involved with the training assessments towards a coxswains. Just PM me for more info.

Cheers
Mike

bondy99
04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Brisbane North Institute of TAFE (Formelrly know as Gateway TAFE) at eagle Farm has a Marine Unit that teaches Coxswains or use to. Great Marine teachers including courses to Master Class 5.

Peter Davies and Ian Alexander are the guys that run the unit (or use to).

MSQ at Pinkenba (Examiner: Dave Adams) . Hope this also gives you some info. Peter

Marlin_Mike
04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Brisbane North Institute of TAFE (Formelrly know as Gateway TAFE) at eagle Farm has a Marine Unit that teaches Coxswains or use to. Great Marine teachers including courses to Master Class 5.

MSQ at Pinkenba (Examiner: Dave Adams) . Hope this also gives you some info. Peter

Trouble with the TAFE's Bondy, they teach you very well. But you still have to get your sea time up, thats the hard part. With a VMR unit at least you learn and can get your sea time up.

PM sent Xtreme

Mike

bondy99
04-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Trouble with the TAFE's Bondy, they teach you very well. But you still have to get your sea time up, thats the hard part. With a VMR unit at least you learn and can get your sea time up.

PM sent Xtreme

Mike

G'day Mike,

Yeah I know, I got heaps of seatime from my trawling and fishing days.

True what you say about VMR. I use to be a volunteer with Coast Guard Port Stephens NSW many years ago.

Might get back into the scene again down the track, is VMR ex Air sea Rescue or is that different again?

Peter

Marlin_Mike
04-05-2010, 08:36 PM
G'day Mike,

Yeah I know, I got heaps of seatime from my trawling and fishing days.

True what you say about VMR. I use to be a volunteer with Coast Guard Port Stephens NSW many years ago.

Might get back into the scene again down the track, is VMR ex Air sea Rescue or is that different again?

Peter

Yeah Air Sea Rescue changed to VMR back a while, cant remember the year.

Here ya go Bondy.....read this gives some history. Jan 1990 changed to VMR it says.

http://www.vmraq.org.au/ourhistory.asp

bondy99
04-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah Air Sea Rescue changed to VMR back a while, cant remember the year.

Here ya go Bondy.....read this gives some history. Jan 1990 changed to VMR it says.

http://www.vmraq.org.au/ourhistory.asp

Yeah thanks Mike,

I sort of remember about some General going to all the Volunteer Rescue Stations Australia wide as there seemed to be a lot of overlappiing etc.

Streamlining and to make more efficiency.

Thanks for the memory recharge.

Have a great day. Peter

ShaneC
04-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Why do you want a Coxswains ticket mate? If you are after a ticket in order to do a commercial fishing licence the VMR hrs are useless.....

Marlin_Mike
05-05-2010, 06:18 AM
Why do you want a Coxswains ticket mate? If you are after a ticket in order to do a commercial fishing licence the VMR hrs are useless.....

PM sent ShaneC

Xtreme
05-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all for your experiences and input. Having spoken with Mike (Thanks again for your time mate), VMR and some TAFE is what I am after.

Shane C, it's for general charter work and game fishing mate. Speaking with Mike, the VMR looks like the low cost option and I get to give something back in the process.

Thanks again, Steve

uglyfish
06-05-2010, 05:14 PM

Ian has now retiered and moved down south, only comes back up to work his oysters.
I need to get my coxswains I've only got 4 more modules to get it as I done the others last year, up to master class 5 some subjects were..this was at ithica tafe as the gateway has moved here..

DALEPRICE
08-05-2010, 06:44 PM
gday Mike,
i thought it had restrictions on the licence if you did it with Vmr?

To do some time on a working boat is the full monty and gives you
a real look at what its like when stuff breaks down\ issues that occur
and how to get out of them.

thanks
dale

seatime
18-05-2010, 10:08 AM
G'day,

The guys posting above are on the right track.

Brisbane North Institute of TAFE has moved it's Marine Section from Gateway (now SkillsTech) to Ithaca Campus. There are Coxswain courses running throughout the year at Ithaca; it's approx a 10 week course.
Doing a Cox'n certificate and getting sea time thru VMR is certainly one option, though possibly taking many years.
re: restricted tickets - if all your sea time was accumulated with VMR then a restricted ticket is probable.
A restricted Coxswains ticket (vessel or operation area) is not uncommon for a first ticket anyway.

I'm involved in this part of the industry so if you need any more info on courses pm me.

bondy99
18-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Ian has now retiered and moved down south, only comes back up to work his oysters.
I need to get my coxswains I've only got 4 more modules to get it as I done the others last year, up to master class 5 some subjects were..this was at ithica tafe as the gateway has moved here..

Greetings uglyfish,

Bloody hell, things have changed, hey, did not know Ian has retired (Bloody good bloke too). How far south did he retire (send me a pm on that one). Oysters hey!! hmmm, I'll have to have a yarn to him.

Thanks for telling me about the changes. Ithica TAFE now, you would think it would be kept at Gateway but then again its all politics hey!!

Catchya later. Peter

bondy99
18-05-2010, 02:42 PM
G'day,

The guys posting above are on the right track.

Brisbane North Institute of TAFE has moved it's Marine Section from Gateway (now SkillsTech) to Ithaca Campus. There are Coxswain courses running throughout the year at Ithaca; it's approx a 10 week course.
Doing a Cox'n certificate and getting sea time thru VMR is certainly one option, though possibly taking many years.
re: restricted tickets - if all your sea time was accumulated with VMR then a restricted ticket is probable.
A restricted Coxswains ticket (vessel or operation area) is not uncommon for a first ticket anyway.

I'm involved in this part of the industry so if you need any more info on courses pm me.

Seatime. I had a great time when I was at Brisbane North, Ian the gang were great. Too bad the Qld Govt or should say QDPIF could not recognise my 10 years of commonwealth waters experience so I could get my master fisherman's licence, instead the buggers only recognised 12 months of it and suggested I obtain a Trainee Master Fisherman's licence..FFS, a bit like PADI...Put another dollar in.

Dave Adams MSQ Examiner is a different kettle of fish. I had to go back to him second time, the bugger is tricky with his questions. Cheers, Peter

samsnap
24-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Pm sent to you Xtreme
Sammyxx

I GOT CRABS
02-06-2010, 05:12 PM
If you wanted to be fishing guide in the dams creeks around QLD what ticket would you need?

Smithy
07-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Restricted Coxswains. You could restrictions to all the freshwater rivers and lakes of Qld, smooth water limits, partially smooth limits, outboards only, etc., etc. You would still need to do Occ Health and Safety at Sea, have a radio licence and have a senior first aid certificate. You would need half of 365 days logged seatime under the old ROSS system, less with the ROPES system though I think it may have changed. I only need 600 days for my Masters V now so I was informed today. Better get all my stat decs in order and head in!

finding_time
07-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Masters V will make life a bit easier for you Rob!

Ian

Smithy
07-06-2010, 07:34 PM
That and a couple of boats I am looking at! :-)

After a few phone calls this arvo things are still in a state of flux and competency based training can really zip you through the tickets. Bit different to the old ROSS (Record of Sea Service) I did my Coxswains through which was 365 sea days of which half of those days had to be on open water for an Open Coxswains.

Mossy247
11-06-2010, 12:38 PM
If your ever looking for RTO's delivering any qualifications best place to go is NTIS.
- http://www.ntis.gov.au/

Razgo-
12-06-2010, 06:38 PM
I have been looking at getting a restricted coxswain ticket and MSQ has informed me to use the RPL(recognition of prior learning) and fist aid ticket and VHF radio and thats about it. Oh and the oral exam of course for the restricted area requesting.

I was going to get one so i could trade goods on parts of the broadwater and Brisbane river only.

russ

samsnap
15-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Keith Hall from Incredible charters has his RTO - he is at Scarborough. You can give him a call 32038188 he may be able to help you out (so do I but do you want a chick teaching you :) )
Sammy xx