PDA

View Full Version : reccomend me a kayak/conoe for fishing

gros21
03-05-2010, 02:04 PM
it will only every really be used in creak and dams.

Will mainly be me but i presume a 2 man would be better im 125kg

would like a electric motor down the track and maybee a fish finder.

would like to chase them barra

Roscos site is down?

Have a tight budget under 1k would be nice for basics will get electronics later

would also like dry storage for stuff such as tackle

and will be mounted on the lux

Would i be better going a inflatable boat?

tunaticer
03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Go for a single kayak over a double regardless of your physique, doubles are designed to have one heavy load each end, so be sitting in one pod it is unbalanced and if you load the second pod up with gear for balance you have to paddle for it too.

For under $1000 you will be scratching for anything new, however second hand keep an eye open for one of these:
At 125kg, I would recommend a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 or 140, or a Extreme Kayak's Outlaw. Both of these are designed around good loads and handle well, the Tarpon being the one that is easier to paddle and steer. If you are not going to be loading up with another 40kgs of gear the Viking Profish would also be well suited to more open water work or longer distance paddling as well.

I have seen electric motors fitted to all of these kayaks with some ingenuity applied. Fish finders can be mounted to any kayak.

Try Goodtime for a big range of stock, or Peppertown at Virginia or Viking Kayaks for a look.

Perhaps what is most important is being able to handle the kayak comfortably and safely onto the racks of the lux. Kayaks start at around 20-25kgs and are ungainly to handle as some have no real edges or grip areas for loading. Many people will do themselves substantial back injuries trying to load and unload yaks that are at the edge of thier handling capacity.

gros21
03-05-2010, 10:04 PM
cheers mate um a 2 man could easyly be loaded up with a large battery up front.

A mate made a sweet rack for his ute that uses rollers and is light as.

his canoe isa old large candian 2 man which would way more tan an equilvent one
his patrol ute is also 15cm taller than the lux and its a easy 1 man lift f u are carfull

LostNearBribie
03-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Mate I'm around the same weight as you and I have the Extreme Outlaw.
I love it, you will see from most of my posts here that I love it.
I have had myself, my wife and my 4yo daughter in my yak with fishing gear.
No problem at all. Will take an electric no probs and I load and unload solo all the time.
There have been a few go around the $1K mark fully rigged, so keep an eye out.

You want to be looking here and these sites.

www.kfdu.com.au
www.akff.net

If you are around the Bribie Region at all you are welcome to go for a paddle on mine.

Red.

gros21
03-05-2010, 10:53 PM
cheers for the offer but im in rocky.

How do move it roof racks? if so what vechicle

and what about sold trips u find it ass heavy

is there any dry storage areas on it

gros21
03-05-2010, 11:09 PM
mmm looking at those sites can strech budget to 2k if its ready to hit the water eg fishfinder and engine

LostNearBribie
03-05-2010, 11:53 PM
I have a Navara Dual cab ute with Rhino Heavy Duty bars on it.
They are the full width and are hanging out both sides, so I just put a towel on top of the ute (for paint protection).
Rest the front of the yak on the front bar, walk to the back and lift it up.
Easy.
Do a search on Utube and there will be some demos on how it's done.
Not sure what your second question is.
There are no dry storage areas.

Red.

macca
19-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Electric Kayaks

There are a few around. I own an Ocean Kayak Peekaboo and I have tested an Ocean Kayak Torque. Both of these kayaks have Minn Kota motors mounted to them and of course you will need to have batteries on board for them.

The Peekaboo I have a 55lb MK Riptide motor on it and I use a 110 amphr Deep cycle battery with it. The Peekaboo was designed in Australia by Gary Fitzgerald at BLA. I fish with it mainly on Wivenhoe Dam and I can get a range of around 20 - 25 km from one charge of the battery.

The OK Prowler Torque is a kayak from the States, it has a central well that holds the battery and it has a purpose built MK motor 33lbs thrust mounted near the rear of the kayak. It has variable speed control near the seated position. It's a sensational kayak and I would have one tomorrow if the wife would allow me to buy another kayak.

More Info is here..
http://www.ocean-kayak.com.au/FishingKayaks/ProwlerTorque/tabid/206/Default.aspx

http://www.ocean-kayak.com.au/FishingKayaks/AnglerPeekaboo/tabid/211/Default.aspx

My overview on the Peekaboo is here, http://www.bassnyak.com/ok-peekaboo-angler.html