PDA

View Full Version : Thank God I live in Australia!

Freeeedom
03-05-2010, 01:59 AM
I’ve been in the UK for the last three weeks and when in the London Docklands area one day was intrigued to see a young bloke fishing in one of the dockland basins, which these days are surrounded by expensive apartment buildings and full of canal boats moored in marinas. The unusual thing about this fisherman was that he was fishing right next to a big ‘No fishing’ sign.

While I’m watching two coppers wander along and I think ‘Now he’s in strife.’ But the coppers have a friendly chat for a while and then simply wander off, leaving me wondering what’s going on.

A bit later on he hooks up and fights a sizeable fish for about ten minutes before bringing it to a long-handled landing net and lifting up about a 4 kilo carp onto the footpath. He unhooks the fish and shows it off to any passers-by who are around, drops it on the concrete (which must have done it a lot of good) and eventually lowers it back into the water in the landing net. After about another ten minutes he releases it and it slowly swims away.

This got me interested in the regulations governing fishing in the UK and I obtained a set of Angling Regulations, from a nearby shop, governing the area, which is controlled by the British Waterways London Authority.

So here’s a brief summary of what I found out about fishing in England (Scotland and Wales are different and have their own regulations).

Fishing is controlled by two sets of bylaws.

The National Bylaws cover the whole of England.

The Local Bylaws are determined by the local Authority owning or controlling the water, but they cannot over-rule the National Bylaws.

Further restrictions may be added to these by a private landowner who owns the fishing rights on the rivers running through his land. (98% of English rivers are privately owned and there is no right of public access without a permit or permission from the owner. This also means you cannot even paddle a canoe down these rivers without permission).

So, in general, to fish an area, where fishing is allowed – and there’s not many of them available to the public - you need two things

- A rod licence - 25 pound ($40) per year, 68 pound ($109) per year if you want to fish for salmon or sea trout. If you want to use more than one rod at a time (4 may be used when coarse fishing and 2 when fishing for salmon or trout in still waters you need two licenses.
- A permit from the Authority controlling the water or from the landowner or business operating the fishery. This is 20 pounds per year for the water controlled by the British Waterways London Authority.

On top of this there are all sorts of National and Local regulations. Here’s just a couple.

Bag limits – 2 fish per day, but only one tench, carp, barbell, bream or pike.
The owner of the river fishing rights may prohibit the removal of any fish (but cannot exceed the National bag limit of two fish per day). In the waterways controlled by the British Waterways London Authority all fish must be returned to the water unharmed as quickly as possible.

‘A minnow taken in a minnow trap may be used as bait in the waters from which it was taken, but requires the previously obtained written permission of the Authority.’

‘The use of a gaff is totally prohibited in all fresh waters.’

‘No fishing weights made of lead may be used except those of 0.06 grams or less and those of more than 28.35 grams.’

‘You may not use a landing net with any knotted meshes or any meshes of metallic material.’

And so it goes. The regulations go on and on with endless complications, local variations and ever-increasing restrictions on the angler.

I know that these regulations are mainly there to protect the fishery and the environment (and the privileged position of wealthy landowners), but, after reading all this stuff for a while I can only say…

Thank God I live in Australia!

Cheers (and it's great to be home - I need to go fishing soon)

Freeeedom

4x4frog
03-05-2010, 07:59 AM
:shocked: Hope Garrett and the other sheep in the Labour left don't see this, we will all be doomed totally.
Wow, the only way to do angling in the UK for a tourist would be on an organised tour. That way, they'd handle all the permits etc. What would posess the authorities to draw up such draconian legislation.
I thought as I read that maybe it's just carried over from 100's of years ago when all the small areas of the UK were controlled by the families of the areas and they put restrictions on people using their creeks and rivers for recreation and they charged accordingly depending on their personal level of grumpiness:grin:

caster226
03-05-2010, 09:23 PM
comment removed

Louis
05-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Give it a while and sadly Australia's laws will be as complicated or even worse.

Louis

warrior
05-05-2010, 04:31 PM
louis you hit the nail on the head mate,every year we see new restrictions being put in place by people who have know idea as to how the fisheries work they get voted in and thrown some sort of porfolio and if fisheries are in it they go along and do what THEY want.up here in hervey bayu we are getting new areas blocked off at a rate of knots for so called green zones ,like hell, there is more happening behind closed doors than we know . and i think its their own bank doors and books personally..that profit out of all this.

Jarrah Jack
16-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Have a friend who goes to England every year for a few months. The first thing she loses is her sense of humour. The place is a mess crowds everywhere, huge supermarkets, the health system third world. Glad they are all there and not here...I get the same feeling when I see all those high risers on the goldie, glad they are there and not everywhere.

Louis
17-05-2010, 07:35 PM
I long for the carefree days of the seventy's.

I often wonder if the young are lucky or unlucky. Unlucky in that they never lived in an era when political correctness and over regulaton of everything didn't exist.

Or lucky as they know no different and don't miss this era.

Louis

Donny Boy
18-05-2010, 08:34 AM
61 million people in an area less than victoria probably causes a few problems. just the numbers in seq annoys me enough. might be time to export the poms back home and the victorians as well while we are at it.

Oh, don't stop there......send the Sandgropers & Croweaters home too....
then you can get 2 & a dog to watch the Lions play.

:tongue:

Jurkyjj
21-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Sadly we are starting to get restrictions just like stated above.
What is even more sad, is that they are often put in place for the wrong reasons and the family man who is taking his kids out for a fish is the one that suffers.
Some people have no idea when it comes to implementing legislation.

Jason.

Louis
26-05-2010, 06:31 PM
In times gone past, laws were designed to stop bad people from doing bad things to good people.

Sadly, now laws appear to be more about the autocratic control and manipulation of the masses.

How long will it be before we are living in a society where everything appears to be either unlawful or compulsory.

Where are our freedoms going?

Louis

sharkymark2
26-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Thank God I live in QLD. I can see myself fighting a rear guard action slowly up the coast as the others start to to move up from NSW and Vic and SA. Then I am going to have to get political to stop the politicians taking away all the fish inhabited areas........ Isn't it a croc that they play with % and say they only take 16% of the total but we know they take 50% of the fish inhabited areas. Keep the questions coming Louis; its only when we question that change will occur.