PDA

View Full Version : 5 m cuddy cab choices??

Jono_SS
02-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately it's time to upgrade to a family-friendly boat sporting a cabin up the front with some bunks for the girls to snooze on during a day out. The silver lining is I can see myself taking the family across the bay to inside Moreton, which I don't like to attempt in my current open boat, despite it being a rock solid outfit.

So, I'm in the market for I think a 5-5.4 m cuddy cabin (I'm limited by towing weight, as the Honda is rated to 1400kg, thoughI have a couple of backup cars for long trips away). I defitely want a 4 stroke, and a late model second hand boat is preferable to brand spanking new.

So far, I've been perusing the outfits like Haines Hunter 530 Breeze (am i right that Haines Hunter have recently stopped making these??), Haines Signature 520C, 493F, 540F (probably too heavy), Tournament 1750, Seafarer Vixen 5.25 (probably too heavy). Of course finding a late model one of these fine vessels is pretty hard, unless you like 2 strokes of course! Are there any obvious glass ones to check out in addition to these?

Jono.

Matt76
02-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Performance Plate boats at Brendale mate. He does really neat work and makes a top boat. Thats where I will be going to get one built when I have got the cash.

Angla
02-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Try a Coxcraft Rumrunner 5.2m

Cheers
Chris

rowanda
02-05-2010, 10:52 PM
had a 530F for last 5 years and loved it. Only sold it due to lack of use....wish it was still here....I think you would be more than happy with a 540F or thereabouts with a 4 stroke..just keep searching

honda900
03-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Yalta 1800 or 2000, affordable new boat.

The 535, may get in under your weight limit, hull, motor, trailer just on one ton.

http://www.marinetune.com/new-boats/new-boats_detail.asp?ID=198

Regards
Honda.

Mad-One
04-05-2010, 05:29 AM
Could also buy my Formosa in the classified section:grin::rolleyes:

Smithy
04-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Best value for money. I have seen this one come up for sale about three times now in my history of watching Boatpoint. 4 stroke and dual axle trailer from the outset. Shout it a 620 Furuno and away you go.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8424491

Nice one with a four banger.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8668982

Repower this old girl.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8455176

An old cheapy project boat, new 4 stroker, targa, and electronics and you are away. Good old girls the old Venus's.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8664088

Good value current shape Venus ready for a repower, new electronics and SS rocket launcher.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8660825

Ready to go with a 90 Ficht. They didn't seem to have problems the V-4 ones and Brooksy loves them on the work boats. It was only the 6 cyl ones I wouldn't touch.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=8220521

Looks like the choice is endless in that part of the market. I personally like the Signatures and Seafarers from the fishing point of view. Seafarers are the best finished of anything Australian made IMHO.

The Tournament or Mustang 1700 is probably and ok thing too. I have been out in the 16'er with a 90 four stroke and it went well. If the towing weight checks out a 540 Signature or a 5.5 Seafarer Ventura/Viking might be the things to aim for in that segment. 115 four strokes will be the lower limit of horsepower for them though. All those boats in the 5.2-5.3m land should go ok with 90 four strokes and fly with 115s. Have not had much to do with HHs other than for big 6.8m ones.

whiteman
04-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Not looking at tin? I have a 9yo Quinnie Freestyler (5.3) and it is fantastic. Much lighter than glass, bigger backend for fishing, and takes a pounding. I do plenty of trips with mates who have 5-6m glass cuddies but for some reason they seem incredibly small compared to my rig.

Jono_SS
10-05-2010, 07:56 PM
All I can say is that sometimes things fall into place far quicker than expected!!!

My wife had her heart set on aTournament 1750, which are as rare as hens' teeth secondhand, particularly because I wanted a 4 stroke, preferably a suzi or a yammy. We were considering new, but the Tournaments come standard with etecs from AMC or mercs from Kawana.

On returning from a surf up the coast on the public holiday, i swung by Brisbane Yamaha - they were shut, but I could see a good looking Mustang 1750 Tournament (i.e. a Tournament 1750) in the yard with what looked like a 100hp yammy. Hmmm, worth a proper look so I went back on Wednesday for a closer inspection. The motor was actually a 115 hp, 2004 model with 108 hours. Boat appeared in great nick...well, it passed the water test this morning, so now it's mine - picking it up Saturday after second battery, bait pump and "privace screen" get installed. Will have a bit of an issue with storage of 2 boats 'til the little AMM goes, but I'm not going to complain (or rush it - I love the look of 2 boats in the driveway!!!).

Photos tell the story. Can't wait to take the family to the wrecks, though it's getting a bit cool for a swim for them. And I might even catch a snapper from it one day.

Thanks to those that have assisted with advice, especially Ed (Deelight) and Captain Keith.

cheers.

Jono.

Jono_SS
10-05-2010, 08:04 PM
a few more photos

Deelirious
10-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Nice work Jono, I"m looking forward to seeing it out on the water loaded up with either the fam - or dead fish - or both! and either way it'd be a great day.
Have you got a name or are you going to have some kind of competition.....
Ed

Smithy
10-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Good pickup Jono!

White Pointer
10-05-2010, 10:09 PM
G'day,

Why buy a 'glass boat for the bay? They are heavier than pressed alloy and close to a plate alloy boat. The benefit of plate aluminium is that you can beach it on Moreton Island and it won't hurt it. You just have to get it off when the tide goes out.

I don't think that you will find a boat that size with cabin and a 4-stoke under 1400Kg, though.

I suggest that you add into the mix a Barcrusher 530C (used) and Origin Boats AXIS 5000 (new) into your reseach.

Regards,

White Pointer

adam sharkcat
10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi,if your looking for a great 5mtr boat,i can tell you that have a look at the Seafarer 5mtr Vsea.if you have a look at these boats make sure that its built after 1998.they were built a little heavier 600kg just in the hull alone.i owned one of these boats.what i can tell you is that pound for pound you wont find a better boat.it has no bad habbits at all.my boat was repowered with a Evinrude,115 etec in 2008 and this boat was unbeatable in its class for ride,stabilty,fishabilty,hugh deck space and had all the creacher comforts. all up weight BMT is around 1400kg.full loaded.

Smithy
11-05-2010, 04:44 AM
White Pointer,

you are either a glass man or an alloy man - period. I am actually a glass man who just happens to have had a tinny and two plateys along the way. Glass is way tougher than you think and gelcoat dings from hitting the trailer and stuff are easily fixed. You can also put keel guards on them for sliding up on beaches etc. I know I would rather be in a dodgey glass boat over a dodgey platey in the bay for my back's sake. Jono has ended up with a little gem though.

Jono_SS
11-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Thanks Smithy. I'm not sure what this will mean for my Caloundra mackerel fishing - time will tell!

For the record, the BMT plus 1/2 tank of fuel came in at 1300kg (Thanks to the crew at the yard for tanking it up to the weighbridge!).

I did have a look at the barcrusher 530C at Stones Corner. I really liked it, but they don't give them away if you know what I mean, and my wife wasn't as keen as I.

White Pointer, I'm sure you could start a lengthy debate on who thinks glass is better or worse in Moreton Bay. In the end, I decided fiberglass was what I wanted at this point in my boating/fishing journey, and I'm glad I stumbled across this rig. However, the proof will be in the "eating" over the next 5 or so years.

Ed, I'm going to call it Hodad as well.

mr_phishy
14-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Nice one Jono!
Sold the AMM yet?
Mick

Jono_SS
14-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Welcome back Mick!

haven't actually put the AMM on the market yet - will do before long, although the 2 boats make an awesome "driveway couple".

Catch you soon?

Jono.

ps you are my number 1 supplier of spam at work!!!

Nobleboats
14-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Noble Boats International has a Cuddy Cabin in the 5.8m, 6.25m and 6.85m , 7.5m range

Jono_SS
16-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks Nobleboats, very interesting, I'll keep that in mind next time I'm looking for a boat in hopefully 10 years time!!

Anyway, I'm very very happy with my new member of the fleet, and took her for the maiden voyage to Moreton Island. The girls slept in the cabin the whole way back across the bay doing 30 knots, which says more about the perfect conditions than it does about the superb hull on the Mustang!

Not much else to report, seeing as it was more of a boat test than a fishing trip, though packed some rods of course. Remembered the bung, key etc, though did forget the kids' lifejackets, but borrowed some from a friend near the ramp.

couldn't be happier.

Jono.

Jono_SS
16-05-2010, 02:34 PM
this sums up why I upgraded - taking the family to places like this...

Daisy Burnett
17-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Jono
The rig looks great mate. Really neat and tidy. Whats more your one up on me as you have actually got yours wet. Iam still waiting for that event thanks to work. I hope you and the family get much enjoyment from the new toy.

Cheers
Daisy

Lancair
13-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Awesome to read your report on the new boat.

The Tournament 1750 (mustang) is currently sitting at the top of my list, with an Etec 115. Closely followed by the Yalta 1800 with either a 100 or 115 Yamaha 4st. I have a further to travel for servicing the Yammy tho.

Lancair

Jarrah Jack
13-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Welcome back Mick!

haven't actually put the AMM on the market yet - will do before long, although the 2 boats make an awesome "driveway couple".

Catch you soon?

Jono.

ps you are my number 1 supplier of spam at work!!!

Keep the two if you can, you'll always find a use for the tinnie. Much easier to manage on your own and easier to tow. Two boats is nearly right for me.:)

stinky-stabi
13-06-2010, 02:52 PM
G'day,

Why buy a 'glass boat for the bay? They are heavier than pressed alloy and close to a plate alloy boat. The benefit of plate aluminium is that you can beach it on Moreton Island and it won't hurt it. You just have to get it off when the tide goes out.

I don't think that you will find a boat that size with cabin and a 4-stoke under 1400Kg, though.

I suggest that you add into the mix a Barcrusher 530C (used) and Origin Boats AXIS 5000 (new) into your reseach.

Regards,

White Pointer

my 5.2m stabi comes in at just over 1000kgs fully loaded , so add a f/s extra 5o kilos and you would be well under 1400kgs