PDA

View Full Version : 9.8 HP Tohatsu Outboard

Jackson 53
02-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I have a 2002 model Tohatsu outboard motor which is fitted to a 3.3 metre Savage tinnie. I bought the motor second hand and took it out for a test run this morning. The motor has been started on a stand every few months and seemed to be OK. On the water it performed well initially but now will not idle and stalls when throttle speed is increased steadily and will only restart using the choke. Filled the tank with fresh fuel (premium Unleaded) this morning.

I have replaced the fuel filter/plugs/fuel line/primer bulb etc but it appears to be starving for fuel at low revs.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what the problem is?

finga
02-05-2010, 04:20 PM
I hope you put oil in the fuel.
Did you undo the breather on top of the tank?

kizza1
02-05-2010, 05:09 PM
if it only runs with the chioke on i can garantee it will be a bloked main jet in the carby.
buy a can of carby cleaner. unbolt the carby and clean every passage and jet you find.

if you have access to compressed air then blow it out too. if you fina any water you may have to do it a couple of times if youve never done it before.
do not undo the fuel pump as the gaskets arnt that cheap. also do not blast air through the fuel pump as you may damage the diagphragm.
if you have some metho then run that through the fuel pump as it will help expell fuel. (do not run the engine on metho though)

also as above make sure you have mixed 50:1
5litres of fuel to 100ml of oil

Jackson 53
02-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I hope you put oil in the fuel.
Did you undo the breather on top of the tank?

Thanks Finga. Yes to both.

Regards,

Jackson

finga
02-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks Finga. Yes to both.

Regards,

Jackson
Goodo. Always start with the basics :smiley:

finga
02-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Check that there is no air getting sucked in the fuel line somewhere like where it plugs onto the motor and tank and that the priming bulb non-return valve is working OK.
If that's all OK then take the carbi bowl off. If there's crud in the bowl follow instructions above.

Jackson 53
02-05-2010, 05:40 PM
if it only runs with the chioke on i can garantee it will be a bloked main jet in the carby.
buy a can of carby cleaner. unbolt the carby and clean every passage and jet you find.

if you have access to compressed air then blow it out too. if you fina any water you may have to do it a couple of times if youve never done it before.
do not undo the fuel pump as the gaskets arnt that cheap. also do not blast air through the fuel pump as you may damage the diagphragm.
if you have some metho then run that through the fuel pump as it will help expell fuel. (do not run the engine on metho though)

also as above make sure you have mixed 50:1
5litres of fuel to 100ml of oil

Thanks kizza. Fuel/Oil mixture is 50:1. I'll try cleaninig out the carby.

Regards,

Jackson

kizza1
02-05-2010, 05:47 PM
also when you pull the carby off there is no need to undo the butterfly.
try to keep the carby upright and pour contents into glass jar so you can identify the problem

kizza1
02-05-2010, 05:49 PM
i cant remeber how the float is on that one but make sure it doesnt go back in upside down because that will cause you more grief

Jackson 53
07-05-2010, 05:31 PM
i cant remeber how the float is on that one but make sure it doesnt go back in upside down because that will cause you more grief

kizza,

Dismantled the carby today. Found water and debris in bowl and jets. Cleaned out with carby cleaner and blew out every orifice with compressed air. Motor now running perfectly.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,

Jackson