PDA

View Full Version : boat runs over surf board rider in seaway

Razgo-
02-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Anyone else see it this morning? there were like 30 odd boats in the seaway this morning. the boat was called reelattack i think. the surfer was fine but he had a chunk taken out of the side of his board.

Leighton
02-05-2010, 03:50 PM
this doesnt surprise me at all

ashh
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
im surprised it doesnt happen more often.
Ive had a few close calls paddling across myself.
Lucky fella by the sounds of it though...

rosco1974
02-05-2010, 04:19 PM
when i went out yesterday there where bout 25-30 surfers paddlin accross the seaway,tis hard to see them on just light

Razgo-
02-05-2010, 04:34 PM
I have never heard of it happening before but i guess it's probably not reported when it does happen if everyone is ok and the boatie pays for the surf board.

It probably never gets reported and an on water incident.

I'm actually surprised there's not many shark attacks there too. I have seen a white point jump out of the water int he seaway coming up from the bottom to get a fish. Jaws and all wide open as he came out.

yet surfers never get attacked there for some reason.

I spoke to the surfer that got ran over and he seemed ok.

russ

seastorm
02-05-2010, 04:56 PM
It was just a matter of time before this happened, surfers are hard to see when the morning sun is hitting the water

Captain Seaweed
02-05-2010, 06:16 PM
There is a local guy that runs a boat set up for ferrying surfers to and fro south straddy but many hate him because he is taking people to "their break" and choose to paddle over instead. I have a mate who has told me this and also winge about cost. I think it should be illegal to paddle over the seaway. Most of the boys paddle over in pairs or more if I ran over 1 or even 4 and killed them cos they are hard to see with a rising sun and black wetties in the morning I would serve time for this , wouldnt I?
When heading out the seaway most people who are unfamiliar with the area are thinking of the following:
1)When will the channel be free so I can log on
2)Wonder what the seaway is doing, I think I can see a wave breaking out there
3)Have I remembered the bait and GPS marks
4)Holy Shit there are a lot of boats heading out today, am I going to run into this
boat , which way is he heading

I think it should be illegal to paddle the seaway between certain hours.
Almost as anoyying as 10 cyclists in a group on a 2 lane road and your towing a boat. But I dont want to get started on that one.

My 2 cents

Marty

capt
02-05-2010, 06:20 PM
yes the seaway at dawn and dusk sure makes it hard to see the surfers crossing:cool: , but a real accident waiting to happen is crossing the Curumbin bar when there is a decent swell . There can be 200+ surfers on all types of craft floating from the point to around the enterance of the creek and beyond to the beach.

I have come real close many times as have my mates.........I now use a horn as a warning I am coming through..........just as the crew at the "pass" at Byron do.

cheers Jimmy

Razgo-
02-05-2010, 07:13 PM
I think it was about 8am this happened.

I thought people liked him as he seems to do a roaring trade.

you mean the surf taxi? here is a video i took of him ages ago

russ

lgQ2NsWwfm4

wayno60
02-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Now that has to be way safer than paddling.....

Awshucks
02-05-2010, 07:37 PM
I was under the impression that if these turd's are floating across and we hit one we are in the right.

Marlin_Mike
02-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Sooner or later there will be a major tragedy in the seaway with boats and bordies everywhere.

And sorry Razgo, but I think you were way wrong naming a boat on an "I think...."

Mike

Razgo-
02-05-2010, 08:28 PM
well thats my memory it was called "reelattack", i just never wrote it down thats all.

does really matter much though as it should have been reported as a marine incident. and for all i know maybe it was reported later.

russ

TimiBoy
03-05-2010, 06:14 AM
They should NOT be allowed to cross there. I've been through in fairly rough conditions and had enough to worry about without having to avoid these twits.

But hell, they go at night? That only reinforces my opinion of the lack of intelligence of some people.

Cheers,

Tim

Razgo-
03-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Well I am pretty sure the surfers probably say the exact same thing about boaties and would probably like them to get out of their way so they can safely travel to the favourite surf spot just as fisherman & boaties are going to their favourite spots.

I believe its simply a clash of 2 passions here.

I think its one of those things that people just have to be aware of as much as possible. But not sure what happens if something like this ended up in court how it would play out.

russ

PinHead
03-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Tim..why shouldn't they go across there?

The waterways are for all to use. Seems like, from some attitudes i have seen on here, unless you have a boat between 3 and 7m you should not be on the water.

Let me think..Jet skis..nope..they go fast. Bigger boats..nope..they create wash.
Kayaks..nope..too hard to see. Surfers..nope..too hard to see.

What about sail boats..primitive things..let's ban them also.

Aren't there enough regualtions around now without adding any more.?

Captain Seaweed
03-05-2010, 07:19 AM

The waterways are for all to use. Seems like, from some attitudes i have seen on here, unless you have a boat between 3 and 7m you should not be on the water.

Let me think..Jet skis..nope..they go fast. Bigger boats..nope..they create wash.

What would you consider the best way would be to handle this? If you have been out the seaway in the morning and dont consider this to be a concern than you must be thinking of a different seaway. I agree with your comment about peoples views on this site and I have been at the receiving end of it too but I think this is a legitimate topic with REAL safety concerns.
How would you feel if you ran over a couple of mates going for a surf and there was nothing you could do about it and you have to explain that to their parents?
Maybe your right too many regulations and too many rules, maybe a sign saying "cross at your own risk, dont expect boat to pick your legs up when you lose them, reef is firing"

Marty

honda900
03-05-2010, 07:55 AM
The easiest and simplest way is to make the water taxi free, then they will all use it.

as others have said, it is so hard to see the boardies, in their black wetsuits, particularly on day break.

Regards
Honda.

TimiBoy
03-05-2010, 08:04 AM

It's not safe in all conditions. The free water taxi is a simple and sensible idea. It is a matter of time before someone gets run over in the seaway and hurt or dead.

I just hope I'm not the Boatie who has to go to court and defend himself because he ran over someone he couldn't see who shouldn't have been there because he was invisible.

It's a Navigation Channel is it not? What will happen when they start Cruise Liners going in and out there (that is the spot they want, isn't it?) I'd hate to see a boardie sucked into the screws and made into berley. I guess the sharks would like it...

This isn't about liking whatever type of boat. It's about safety, mine, ours, theirs. It's one of the reasons I didn't use the Seaway unless it was calm as, and full daylight.

Cheers,

Tim

GBC
03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Pretty confident if it went to court the old rule of "you can't run some poor bastard over with your boat" would be invoked - like it or not.

ashh
03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
What would you consider the best way would be to handle this? If you have been out the seaway in the morning and dont consider this to be a concern than you must be thinking of a different seaway.

SIMPLE !!

its only a 400 odd meter section of water so effing slow down and keep a proper look out!

ps.
im a boatie AND a surfer

finga
03-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Pretty confident if it went to court the old rule of "you can't run some poor bastard over with your boat" would be invoked - like it or not.
Yep, the 30m rule if going over 6 knots.

A bit of courtesy each way would help ie board riders go in groups of 4 or so and try not to go in the dusk/dawn times because of visibility and boats to wait 2 minutes when they see a group of board riders.

But gees it's hard to see something black in the water at dawn or dusk. :undecided:
Maybe they should wear the reflexive road-workers vests or flashing waterproof pushbike lights. :cheesy:
Easy solution is to build a tunnel so the board-riders can walk over.
Ssshhh. I should not have said that. It sounds so stupid they might just do it :lipsrsealed:

cormorant
03-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Dusk or dawn shouldn't teh board riders have a white light like any other paddle craft is required to at times of low visability.

Authorities obviously know the issue and choose to do nothing. Surfing code of conduct. What does surfriders association say

keep clear rules, distance off ?? Is a board rider considered a paddle craft or a swimmer? So if there was a line of 10 of them no boat could go in or out of the seaway??

All care taken but it is a very dangerous thing where fast and slow things are in the same area and they both are not in the same rulebook.

Razgo-
03-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Whilst i thing a free taxi service is a great idea who will foot the bill to run it?

yes we could also send lord mayor Campbell down there as he is tunnel mad at the moment so no probs for him to rip one in :)

At the end of the day it is "keep a proper look out" rule that applies on water.

At the very least I guess signage that says "warning surf board riders cross here" be a good idea. not sure where you would put it though?

It would only be new boaties that perhaps don't knwo about the surfers?

I would agree some sort of reflective lighting on their backs would be a good alert and a good solution just like the rowing club boaties have to use that flashing light whilst underway dusk to dawn.

But they certainly do have every right to use the waterway to get to their fav surf spot.

I mean would we also ban boaties who anchor in the middle of the seaway and or troll all over the place so other boaties are also dodging them and the surf board riders?

It is one hell of a busy water way there with scooba divers, skin divers, jet skies, surfers, boaties.

But when it comes down to legal matters when an accident occurs like this? thats when rules come in if it were to end up in court a few times. If the surfer had of lossed his life or leg the outcome would be very different.

The surfer in question here said the boat owner said he would pay for a new surf board for him. That would be the very least thing to do of course.

Hell i would be buying him 2 surf boards and counting my lucky stars he was injured!

russ

Captain Seaweed
03-05-2010, 02:14 PM
comment withdrawn

finga
03-05-2010, 05:50 PM
How about a set of traffic lights??

Ando74
03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Maybe we could have a group hug, then us as sharing boaties we could pick one or two up on the way out?

That wouldn't work as it seems everyone is only concerned about their little part of the world (both parties mentioned here), and by the sound of it many here don't think anyone should interfere or use the water except them!

Fatenhappy
03-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Been through there quite a few times and just as bad if not worse are the people that swim across the channel between the two. They are nearly impossible to see even on a good day ! From a couple of previous close calls, I used to slow right down and stand on the helm chair, then look through the hatch to make sure all was good.

She'd have to be a shocker in a tinnie down at water level when theres a bit of chop and swell running!

Sandman
04-05-2010, 09:08 AM
What happen to Nan lights ? I often questioned if this has happened in the past , no issue with them crossing however when its dark they are hard to see and i would have thought they would need to have Nav lights ?

ashh
04-05-2010, 09:10 AM
yeah an allround light on a helmet lmfao

finga
04-05-2010, 09:45 AM
What happen to Nan lights ? I often questioned if this has happened in the past , no issue with them crossing however when its dark they are hard to see and i would have thought they would need to have Nav lights ?
Are surfboards a vessel??
I've asked the question here before.
When does a toy become a vessel??
Is a boogie board a vessel??
Is a air mat a vessel??
Is a pair of water wings a vessel??
Is a windsurfer a vessel??
The list goes on and on and on.

A row boat is a vessel and needs a light even if it is a torch.

If I was a board rider I'd be a bit weary of the place but I cannot stand on one so I don't have to bother.
And if I was a board rider I'd be weary of the first rule my grandad taught me. Give way to anything bigger then ya..... because getting hit with a boat tends to hurt.

Sandman
04-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Finga,
I think you will find that be it a surf ski , kayak, surf board they must be fitted with lights in a high traffic area , flashing lights at the highest point.
In fact i am sure it is written down somewhere in clasifying vessels ? But this only applies when traveling at night or early morning does not solve daytime issues .
Mick

Liberty
04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Even a cyalume stick would help sometimes ....

Seriously we have an obligation to run lights, why don't they?

Small, flashing lights like on PFDs would generate hugely improved visibility. Its not as though we want to run them down.

bigjimg
04-05-2010, 02:10 PM
During the day the boaty must keep a good lokout and in the Seaway and Broadwater I think it is just a given.But in times of low visibility you would think the surfers would have half a brain and think AM I GOING TO BE SEEN,so as not to be hit by a boat.If you are run over in low light circumstances and did not have any means to give your wherabouts to other users of the waterway why would you expect compansation from the boaty,and why would any be forthcoming under these circumstances.In my opinion they should make every effort to light themselves so tragidy doesn't happen.I've done enough surfing in my time and the attitude some of these guys have is rediculous,if any are killed it's their own fault.Time some responsibility is accepted.Jim

nigelr
04-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Yes bigjimg, I agree, all about attitude.
But first an understanding of the problem and what causes it.
Surfer wants to get to the surfbreak ASAP. If they are like the majority of surfers they work, and so early and late are the preferred times. Also, generally speaking the conditions are best for surfing early in the morn or late arvo.
Boatie wants to clear the Seaway ASAP. As we all know, generally speaking the earlier you get that bait in the water, the better.
Surfers are hard to see in low light situations, and their numbers, and the number of boaties, are accentuated during these low light periods.
Boaties are genuinely behind the 8 ball because of this, not only having this issue to contend with but also all the other serious issues they are dealing with during the crossing.
Solution - get some publicity, communications and leadership happening before someone gets hurt.
I can asure you this is a widespread problem, and without mutual respect and a desire to solve the problem, self-interest will certainly lead to pain, at best.
I'm a surfer and a boatie myself, and I cross the local bar at times when folk are surfing and at 53 years of age, I'm fortunate to know firsthand the attitudes of both groups, neither of which are without a little arrogance, or will necesarily give an inch.......I've experienced idiots cross the local bar on a 5 foot swell at full bore within 10 metres of where a group of us were surfing as well; there are two sides to the coin and it needs some maturity and leadership from within both groups and hopefully the Civic fathers as well. Lord knows both fishing and surfing contribute mightily to the local coffers one way or another.
Cheers and sincere good luck.

Bowser
05-05-2010, 12:35 PM
While I can see that the surfers have rights to access various locations let's consider this in a transport environment, which the seaway most definitely is, and a high use channel as well. Compare it to what happens in a road system. The seaway would compare favourably with a freeway. These are fenced and pedestrian and man powered vehicles are not permitted to enter them, for their own safety. A sensible person would not consider dashing across the SE freeway in a poor visibility situation. On the seaway this is exacerbated by the swell coming in which hides the already hard to see, prone surfers scrambling across the channel. To make matters worse the swell only allows the boat captain the occasional glimpse of them as both vessels rise and fall. I know the captain has a responsibility to pay due care and attention to his surroundings, but having people intentionally place themselves in the middle of this dangerous environment with little consideration for the difficulties facing the boat owner or for the rules that apply in this situation is asking for trouble.

Rules need to be set and enforced to ensure that surfers don’t place themselves in harms way and some poor skipper doesn’t end up with a tragedy that he may have had not foreseen on his conscience. Limiting speed in this area is not an answer; the boat captain must not be placed in a situation where he endangers his boat and crew because he was unable to place the boat out of harms way using speed if faced with a wave or dangerous situation. With surfers part of the problem is the invincibility of youth. It will never happen to them. Unfortunately it can and they will only learn when it actually does.

ashh
05-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Sure it may be a problem but get used to it, all both parties can do is just take as much care as possible to avoid an accident, but surfers have been paddling across for years, and even if a rule or a law was/is introduced they will continue paddling across regardless. Id like to see someone try end enforce it LOL.
I know for a fact that no rule or law will stop me from paddling across.
Its a bit like cyclists on the road, get used to it because they will allways be there and wont go away.

bigjimg
05-05-2010, 09:13 PM
This is a hot topic no question about that but being gungho and bloody minded about it will help neither party when the shit hits the fan and someone has lost their life.AND THAT IS NO LAUGHING MATTER.Jim

PinHead
05-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I did the opposite years ago..was surfing at Currumbin Alley..awesome surf..got on a wave..great ride and then right in front of me..bloody hell..a fishing boat heading out..I bailed off my board rather quickly but it got hit by the boat..new skeg and all was good. Then there was the day at Greenmount..got hit by their surfboat. Glad I had nice and quiet teenage years.

Reality is..keep an eye out for each other and we can all enjoy the marvellous places we are blessed with in this country...before the greenies shut the lot down. Rules and regulations will mean nothing if you hit someone and severely injure them or worse..I know my conscience would give me hell over that.

Liberty
06-05-2010, 08:27 AM
I completely agree with Jim, its not a case of gungho or bravado or testosterone.

At dawn it is nearly impossible to see surfboards - and not from want of trying - or in legal terms "from failing to maintain a lookout".

Each of the 4 propellors on my 43 is bigger than a surfboard and they counter-rotate.

I wouldnt think of it as "here's a boat coming".

I'd try "that's a 16 tonne 900HP twin blender that has no indication that I'm in its way".

dreemon
06-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I'll admit that I used to paddle across to surf straddie, and only because it's an awsome wave, also surfed in the bar on the north wall when it got big enough, not alot of boats go out when it's like that,

Surfers arent trying to be a nusance, just on there way to there favorite spot. . . .everyone in the seaway is on there way to "There fav spot" to catch either a great wave , great fish or just enjoy being out on the water,

I'm glad this happened (with no injury) because it's an eye opener for everyone and to take more care when going through the seaway, I don't mind dropping surfers off there or giving lifts back,

The seaway isn't the only one that has probs either, I've gone out through tally and got back to find wayTooo many surfers in the bar and ended up going in at currumbin, bit of a pain to have to get a taxi to get my ute and trailer

one way that could help is if surfers hung aroud the boat ramp asking for lifts out, but most drive strait to the pipline, then jump in, just a thought :undecided:

Crestcutter
18-07-2010, 08:27 AM
Got nothing against surfers, i used to be one, but i tll ya it's hard when you are commited to a line in an average seaway, then have to re route because of someone in a black wet suit on dawn. In a big swell it is worse when approaching. They simply disappear , then re appear. By then your generally right on top of them because distance is hard to gauge when it's dark.

Keep a proper look out and just go fishing, too many of you get worked up over shite. It's been the same there ever since the new seaway was built.