PDA

View Full Version : Stabicraft question

whitebeach
02-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Need some advice on the Stabicraft 589XR. I live in Southern Tasmania and currently run a 4.8m Express (Zephyr) with a 70 Yammie. This is an awesome small boat and am often the smallest boat when fishing Hippolyte rock and the Tasman Island. (I thank Peter Berg for turning me onto this boat). A few days ago I was screwed by Bom weather. They were forcasting 5-10 knot northerly winds with 1-2 meter southerly swell, no increase during the day, no big deal. Well the weather is a bit fickle down here and luckily we can catch bluefin tuna as close as 5 k's from a boat ramp. But this time I was around the Monroes near Tasman Island. We had just caught a beautiful 24 kilo bluefin when the wind picked up, within 15 minutes it was blowing a steady 25knots. The swell was building and we still had 12 k's to go. Speed was down around 6 knots and we were heading into the wind. The swell was over 4 meters by the time we got to the Lanters which is a famously dodgy area where swells winds etc meet/change and generally scare the shit out of you. The little Express ploughed ahead but we were getting too much air coming off the top of the swells, the boat then dropping a long way, but slower speed was an option because of fear of waves/water coming over the quite low transom. Anyway after 2 hours we made it back to Fortiscue Bay, thanking God etc etc. It was gnarly and I have had boats all my life. Anyway as soon as I got the boat up the ramp I swore I needed a bigger boat! AND, one that wouldn't sink. Hence the Stabi idea.

So, the question is what is a Stabicraft like in severe weather? 2-5 meter swells Down wind, following sea, 30 knot winds etc etc. In other words the real world of Tasmanian fishing.

I have only seen two Stabis down here one is a 759 and the other a 601, I think. Most boats fishing the shelf and the Rock are big fiberglass boats and big I mean beyond a trailer! Yes there are trailer boats but mostly hefty fiberglass.
I don't have a big enough vehicle to pull a 3+ ton boat. Guess I want a glass boat performance in a tinnie.

THanks!

stinky-stabi
02-05-2010, 10:47 AM
go the stabi ...:lipsrsealed:
just get some racing harness for when the rough hits......