PDA

View Full Version : Good Line for Alvey on beach rod

dreemon
02-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi,

Just looking for options of a decent line that works well with an Alvey,

It's a green 6 in going on a 3 peice diawa 15 foot rod, and just want a line weight thats reasonable for bream, tailor, flatheads and still handle the odd larger fish that might hit it in the surf,

Thanks n cheers

4x4frog
02-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Wow, don't know anyone with a 3pce surf rod. You'll have to report on how it goes.
At the absolute maximum I'd go 7kg/15lb.

Think from memory I have 12lb on my 650A1 for light surf duty. Also have a 650C5 with 2 spools that I'll have probably 20 and 40lb for rock skull dragging the biggy's {if I ever locate any that is:grin: }
Would the 6" be a little under recommended size for that length? Most old guys I knew had a 7" on a 15' rod when my dad was fishing.

gr hilly
02-05-2010, 09:39 AM
g,day mate for years now i have used 12 lb schneider line on the same reel iv'e been told it's to light often however you can load it on casts great and if the fish runs to hard let them run that's fishing iv'e caught some big jew on that line had to walk a mile more than once up the beach and i hav'nt lost many but for tailor flathead and even whiting no probs.
hilly

Bladeca
02-05-2010, 12:10 PM
I've got 20lb platypus platnium on my alveys. One is a 6500cbrr i think and the other is an old 5inch. Use it for bream and whiting all the time, you would think it was only 10lb when looking at it. It's nice and thin but can take an absolute hammering. I've caught many big stingrays and they have been easily landed, just play the fish. I've probably been using it for the last 6 years or so and won't be putting anything else on.

Cheers

Glenn

Da-Jew-Man
02-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi
A 15 foot rod is a long and somewhat heavy rod and is generally not needed today for long casting.
If you have 6 inch Alvey you may also find that the rod may "overbalance" the reel.If the reel is a 650 then the extra weight will help the balance affect.
The line I use is Berkley Trilene which is excellent for casting. Platypus platnium is just as good but a little more expensive.
For the beach 15-20 lb will handle just about anything and because of line thickness it will feel like 12 lb.
Good luck with your fishing.
:grin:

dreemon
02-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the help, :cheesy:

I thinks I'll split the difference and go with 15 lb, and 20lb leader, I've had this rod for around 23 yrs and it used to have a 7 in yellow alvey with the drag, great reel till it grew legs:sad: , and this green reel was given to me from my neighbor, so gonna see how it goes, used to use the rod all the time before I had boats but would like to walk over to the beach once and awhile when I'm over the limit and cant drive :grin: , only a 7 min walk.

on the rod it says lures 1 - 6 oz, line 17 - 40 lb, medium heavy action.

at the butt it's about as round as a 50 cent coin but amazing how light it is !? and It was able to cast forever, I'll be on the beach in the morn and let you know how I go Cheers :2thumbsup:

jerson
02-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Dreemon, 12lb Tortue line & leader.

stanley
02-05-2010, 09:19 PM
20lb platnum hands down

sleepygreg
02-05-2010, 09:49 PM
I use 6kg Platinum on one of my 650c5's for beach fishing, and 10kg Tortue on the other one for drummer off the rocks and Jewies off the big river walls......the lighter outfit is used on a MT7144 custom built rod with a 6 inch timber sandspike extension, and the heavier outfit is on a MT8144 custom built with a solid rubber butt cap.

Greg

rockfisho
03-05-2010, 08:22 PM
id run 20lb platinum, nice and thin for the littlies but strong for the big stuff, the diametre is 0.35mm. which is pretty thin for a 20Lb. I run that on my heavy gear, 30Lb, but i run maxima for my tailor gear, 20lb cuz i do some rock hopping with it.
On the light gear, 10lb platinum. And on the devoted rock gear, 20lb Schneider, thats heavy duty line that schneider

cheers

Owen

caster226
03-05-2010, 10:14 PM
comment removed

nigelr
04-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Yes for the platinum, or the pre-test if you want something a bit cheaper, both excellent lines in my experience.
15lb plenty adequate for daytime usage, if you are snapping off during the cast, go with 6-10 metre leader of heavier line, 25-30lb depending on cast weight.
Mandatory swivels and if you are serious about avoiding line twist, run 50 metres of line (rig removed) up the beach each time you have finished fishing and wind it back on, really makes a major difference, and allows you to check the line for nicks and abrasion.
Cheers.

trueblue
04-05-2010, 08:00 AM
dosent really matter what type, 20 lb would be about right.

theoldlegend
04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Platypus Platinum would be the go.

Thinner than most for the same breaking strain.

You could even go Platypus Super 100, which is about 10% thinner than the Platinum.

TOL

4x4frog
04-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Platypus Platinum would be the go.

Thinner than most for the same breaking strain.

You could even go Platypus Super 100, which is about 10% thinner than the Platinum.

TOL
Hey dreemon.......thinking about it after all these comments on the Paltypus I think I actually went the 15lb on the 650A1 last time. Yes, it's thinner than what I was used to with other line, more like 12lb or under in feel. Great line, would highly recommend it.
Will likely go maybe 20 and 30 on the 2 star drag spools for the 650C5 after remembering that.{old fella disease setting in & I haven't even hit 50 yet:sad: }

dreemon
05-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Well I ended up getting 15 lb schneider and a swivel on the gang hook, went for a few throws .. . . but it there were onshore winds at 8 - 12 knots, I'll wait for a day with no or offshore winds AFTER I get 2 guides replaced, I had it leaning up against my house the other day and on a good angle and somehow it fell backwards and onto my boat and smashed 2 of em :undecided: must 'ave been a boat vs beach thing ,

4x4 frog, Went the lighter line to feel modern and up to date, my 50's years are just a few years away :shocked: thanks everyone and cheers

4x4frog
08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Good one dreemon. Actually, when I looked at the reel(650A1) I found the almost empty spool and it's 15lb Diawa sealine. It was the thinnest lb for lb I could find. I am going to use Diawa 20lb on one of the drag spools and some other brand of 35-40lb on the other as I can't find Sealine over 25lb. Bit of overkill as I doubt I will ever get a scaly-finny thing that weight but you just need to be prepared:grin: