PDA

View Full Version : Setting up the Yak.

PinHead
30-04-2010, 01:30 PM
The first item..the sounder. Purchased sounder and ram mount. The ram mount is a generic one therefore the ram does not exactly fit the sounder base. I cut some cutting board and screwed through the base of the sounder mount to the ram mount base.

PinHead
30-04-2010, 01:34 PM
next step..ram mount to the yak...I wanted to keep the top of the ram below the side of the yak for when I flip it over and onto the laddet racks on the ute. I used lots of Sicaflex on this also..as you can see. I used 1" diameter washers on the underside for support.

Then assemble the ram mount and fit the sounder.

PinHead
30-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Next..the transducer. I cut some more bait board to take the transducer ..hole in the centre i nthe shape of the transducer. Scuffed the hull with some sandpaper and Sicaflexed this to the hull. Will now wait until this is set and fit the transducer in the cavity in a bed of Sicaflex.

To be continued.....

Just_chips
30-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Looks the goods Greg, and the best part is you haven't broken or thrown anything yet...well done.

Kev

PinHead
30-04-2010, 06:29 PM
and Kev..no holes in the hull yet..LOL

I had the apprentice cutting the bait board material...and then i did three of the screws into the hull..phone rang..some bloody builder..LOL..he said he would do the last one..I told him to make sure not to drop the nut and washer..so what does he do ???? drops it in the hull..sheesh.

BR65
02-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Looking forward to the battery install there Pinhead, your doing what Im about to do, so good info - thanks.

PinHead
03-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Next step...a bed of sikaflex for the transducer to sit in..trying my best to ensure there are no air bubbles...then place the transducer in the bed.

PinHead
03-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Next..the battery..decison time. Do I want the battery on the yak or in the yak. In is a better option..out of the way when fishing.

I decided to do similar to what I did witrh the transducer. Cut some bait board material..hole in the centre. I used 2 thicknesses of this...glued together then placed i nthe hull and sikaflexed in. Left for 24 hours..stuck in firmly. This was important as I do not want it coming loose in transit as the yak is upseide down when travelling.

The battery just sits in this set up and will not move around when on the water.

PinHead
03-05-2010, 06:39 AM
I am using one of those spill proff batteries .

Time to test it and bloody hell..will wonder never cease..it works.

Last item to be fitted was the bracket for the hand held GPS.

All is now ready for a water test and see if i can manage a fish.

Hope this has helped anyone wanting to do similar.

BR65
03-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks.
re the sikaflex bed for the transducer, is there goop between the transducer head and the yak surface, or does the transducer sit against the yak surface, and the sikaflex just holds it in position?

PinHead
03-05-2010, 11:40 AM
there is goop between the transducer and the hull..hopefully it works fine..will know in a couple of weeks after a trip to Wivenhoe.

Next project..fitting out the tinny

tunaticer
03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Should work fine Greg, mine was sat into a blob of selleys all clear and its perfect reception. Same sounder as well.

I bought a Plano hard case with the secure locking lid for my battery container and grometted the cable through the side of it. With the battery being 100% sealed against water there is no worries about corrosion in either the cables or connections and no battery draindown through water.

Be sure to let the inside of the yak air out with a fan blowing through the hatches to remove the chemical vapors that attack the screws and bolts in your kayak. A good mate used sikaflex and about 6 months later he could see rust stains near every screw (all 316 stainless steel).