PDA

View Full Version : hydrofield sandfly info

gr hilly
29-04-2010, 01:05 PM
ive been looking at a hydrofield sandfly it has an old 70 hp johnson which sits on a nice pod this boat has to have some work done like new steering cable(hyd)it has'nt been started for 6 yrs but the motor turns over ok looks good can some one tell me if these boats are a good thing or not because it would do up well it has great stainless rails fittings and so on marine radio sounder live bait tank under seat esky's under floor fuel tank and the trailer is in top condition both boat and trailer are reg,what would something like this be worth its 4.5 mtrs long.

cheers hilly

Noelm
29-04-2010, 01:44 PM
bit of a funny bird the Hydrofield, lots talk about them, some own them, but most never think about buying one when boat shopping, the owners seem to love them, and they have an almost cult following by their owners, and they do get some good reports, but I have never owned one, and never thought of buying one either.

Duckfish
29-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Good boats. Softer riding then anything of that size. Should fetch anywhere from $7,000.00-$10,000.00

gr hilly
30-04-2010, 07:10 AM
thanks for your help guys i can buy it for$ 4 000but the moter scares me not being used for some 5 or 6 yrs.
hilly

trueblue
30-04-2010, 07:46 AM
people either love or hate hydrofields

I hate them

finga
30-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Yep, the motor could be OK or it could be a dud.
Pricing should allow for new second handy motor so one bloke says they're worth $7-10,000 and you reckon you can get it for 4 so offer $3,500 and if the motor is crook then get another. If the motor is good say woohoo and go and use the bugger.
A good full service would be mandatory though.

I wouldn't mind a Hydrofield or cat that size.

Noelm
30-04-2010, 08:05 AM
an old 70HP Johnson should be fine, it would take a lot to kill one of those.

gr hilly
30-04-2010, 08:08 AM
true blue why do u hate them mate i would love to know?
cheers hilly

finga
30-04-2010, 08:10 AM
an old 70HP Johnson should be fine, it would take a lot to kill one of those.
Yeah, pretty basic eh :smiley:

And probably in good nick if the trailer is also good.
If the trailer was maintained well then you could assume the rest of the boat copped similar treatment.

I have an old Royal Scott outboard. It had not been started for 20 odd years. 3 pulls and away she went....and back into the shed it went :smiley:

trueblue
30-04-2010, 09:06 AM
true blue why do u hate them mate i would love to know?
cheers hilly

Mate, I am very biased against Hydrofields for a number of reasons that probably shouldn't be mentioned, specifically in relation to the larger ones as opposed to the little sandfly which I have never been in. Many people love them just as much as I don't like them.

Perception is the main reason I mentioned the love hate relationship many people have with hydrofields - mostly to do with resale after you are finished with it. There are some people won't buy a hydrofield just because of the name on the side.

By all means test one out in all conditions and decide for yourself if it is the boat for you.

cheers

Mick

Noelm
30-04-2010, 09:11 AM
To me they do appear to be a bit funny looking, kind of very low in the sides, and a sort of roundish deck/windscreen area that has a kind of "point" where the centre hull pokes out, but some people must like them I guess.

zakster
30-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Hi Hilly,
Can you post a picture of the Sanfly. The original sanflys were 13 feet without a pod. The hull will be approx 20 years old. A 50 hp motor is more than enough power. I sold my Sanfly with a 55 hp Yamaha for $6000.00 two years ago,it was in very good cond. After buying and selling boats for 45 years selling the sanfly was the biggest error i have made. They are an incredible hull with stability second to none. Soft riding for their size. Perfect for estuary and close inshore in the right conditions. The main problem people have with Hydrofields is their looks.
As Noel says they do have low sides compared to most, some people consider them ugly. Horses for courses, I have owned four hydros, I love them.

Zak.

gr hilly
30-04-2010, 11:01 AM
i will get a pic or two and post them but i did run a tape and it was 4.1 straight down the middle and 4.5 with the pod .
cheers hilly

CCDrifter
30-04-2010, 12:18 PM
ANy second now Hilly you will get a post from Business Class pointing out the qualities of the Hydrofeild. If he doesn't, PM him as he did a fair bit of homework when he modified his.

gr hilly
30-04-2010, 06:20 PM
i would like to thank all help received on this matter.
cheers hilly

gr hilly
30-04-2010, 06:41 PM
CCD DRIFTER i have pm'd business class thanks for the hook up
cheers hilly

siegfried
30-04-2010, 09:06 PM
My mate recently sold his ,great Little bay estury and occaisional inshore rig with good stability and softer than a lot of tinnies of equal size, remember thay are a small boat and use it within its limitations and you will have a happy one

gr hilly
01-05-2010, 07:16 AM
well i couldn't sleep last night thinking about this sandfly i have fished all over australia and never had a sandfly a spray of bushman's could't fix so im going to buy the bugger today before someone else does fingers crossed on the motor now i wont know which boat to go out in what a problem.

thank all for your comments glynn

trueblue
01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
enjoy your new aquisition mate

cheers

Mick

ashh
01-05-2010, 09:26 AM
...........pics !!

finga
01-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Goody. Pictures coming I reckon :D

gr hilly
01-05-2010, 09:32 AM
yes fellas pics are coming but i got to fetch the boat first lol
glynn

business class
04-05-2010, 03:11 PM
If u require a un biast opinion i am prob not the person to speak too lol. There are always pro's and cons with every boat no matter what u choose. I have a Hydrofield 5.6 and have just turned it into a 7m. The hydrofields do shutter when head on to a sea so when travelling u need to take swell on the quarter, u can limit this it just takes some time in learning how to drive it (remembering i am going quite fast), this is the only fault i find with the hull as the stability is unreal, following sea is unreal, wave jumping is unreal, and overall size of deck space is awesome its just u have to pay attention driving and weave ur way through the swells. I do believe you have choosen a great hull as for that size i dont think anything will come close. U will be very happy with your choice and i look forward to seeing the photos. I see u were going to purchase it so i am looking forward to the pics.

Regards,
Mat

P.S TRUEBLUE, why is it you HATE the hydrofields? would love to know why. dont wish to bag you am just curious. cheers

zakster
04-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Trueblue,
Would love to hear why you hate hydros. Not looking for arguement just curious.

gr hilly
04-05-2010, 08:20 PM
was supposed to pick it up today but decided to go fishing instead but didnt cous of rain but ill get it this week and post pics guys
glynn ps i do now own it

gr hilly
08-05-2010, 09:58 AM
i have'nt forgot the pics of the hydrofield im getting new steering fitted and fitting new elec once i get it home ill post the pics fellas.

nigelr
06-06-2010, 07:25 AM
So gr, how are you finding the Sandfly? It's on my list, would value your findings.
Cheers.

gr hilly
06-06-2010, 08:20 AM
i havn' got it home yet i have been away fishing just got home i will be chasing the little monster up this week it would be nice to have a 8 day week so i can get all of my work done hopefully i can pick it up this week but when i do i will post pics all.

Hilly