PDA

View Full Version : I bolted my baitboard to the outboard

dreemon
26-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi all,
I wanted a baitboard but with having a narrow motor well and odd angles I thought of this redneck sort of hillbilly way to mount it but it functions well cause it never gets in the way when tilting the engine and it's at the right hight being mounted there, cost me about $ 80 so was a cheap option for the povocraft.

The brackets are s/steel that were leftover from a job and used s/steel fasteners with 25mm washers on the inside of the cowl so it's sturdy, added 2 handles for rags, riveted the knife holder, tube for pliers and the other one that has ableflex foam to temporarly hold the rod for baiting,

also a pic of my s/steel rocket launchers I had custom made $ 450 ,

at the end of the day I think ausfish has turned me into a boating junkie:cool:.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/JerahsRainbow/rocketl.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/JerahsRainbow/baitboardrod.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/JerahsRainbow/baitboardbracket.jpg

krazyfisher
26-04-2010, 03:06 PM
not a bad idea at all...

OPTI
26-04-2010, 03:49 PM
its only a [disprin]i mean yamaha ,good job.someone would shoot you if you did that to a merc:grin:

Steeler
26-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Nothing deliverance country about that.job well done.

I am glad to see you came up with a good use for a Yamaha !!!!!!!!

Steeler

Greg P
26-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Keep a close eye on your cowling latches and the cowling itself for cracking

brisbane_boy
26-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeh looks like a well thought up plan, keeps your coaming nicely clear sure beats some of the shockers getting around, i think like gregs pointed out, a rough sea might cause some trouble with the cowel, but looks easily removed for travel.

Fatenhappy
26-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Looks neat enough and would certainly be functional...

Any thoughts of placing a larger bit of internal reinforcing for the cowl rather than just the 25 mil washers .... or you reckon shell be ok with vibration when wave bashing?

deckie
26-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Sweet looking ride in good nick matey...the idea is great and no real reason why it wont work a treat but i;d also be giving most thought to stress cracking around the bolt holes on the cowling. s/s brackets are excellent but the weight swinging like a pendulum on that thin cowling MIGHT eventually wear on the holes and might need regular tightening coz if they loosen at all they could crack it.
Good setup but is it possible u could whack a thin piece of poly strip on both sides of the cowling as reinforcing and have those bolt holes snug to the bolts and the cowling holes a tad larger in between....your large washers are the go to spread the load out from the holes a bit as long as that load isnt on the cowling itself i reckon....basically so the reinforcing is clamped with the bolts taking the pendulum strain and vibration stress whilst underway instead of the cowling taking it around the bolt holes.
As u know i overkill everything tho :cheesy:
No reason why it shouldnt work really well i reckon...not all transoms are made to measure for baitboards nor do we need them huge and heavy anyway. Looks handy.
New launchers look sweet and good price for that kind of quality work.

She must absolutely ming along with that 90 mate.
Steve

dreemon
27-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the replys guys :smiley:

its only a [disprin]i mean yamaha ,good job.someone would shoot you if you did that to a merc:grin:

Opti I'd have no troubles drilling into any engine, way easier than drilling metal,
I have been shot before with a 223 cal :rifle: didn't hurt THAT much :rolleyes:

I have anouther rod holder the same as on the cowl in the boat for when traveling and it's dead easy to to R and R, the baitbaord and brackets are pretty light and the cowl was thicker than I thought it would be, most positive it can easily handle whats there, but like you all said I will keep an eye on it for cracking etc.

Deckie, very fun boat with the 90 and great for towing toys/ bar work :cool: cheers

Noelm
27-04-2010, 09:10 AM
seems like it works well, UNTILL you tilt the motor and all your bait/knives and other stuff falls off, into your boat, or into the water.

FNQCairns
27-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Novel idea! and I guess if you stay conscious of when to tilt and when not to (I suspect it's removable/slip in arrangement), it all looks light enough, looks ot be the perfect spot too so many bait boards even expensive just get in the way and become something else to work around when on the water.

I have considered that spot for the mounting of a 1.5m high all round white light, haven't done it yet forget why not.

Lots of options with the older engines.

deckie
27-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Yeah when u need to tilt the motor he'd just take it out and slot in one of the other holders. Those things have gimbals butts anyway dont they ? So that aint a problem. Plus that holder would be easily strong enough for trolling surface lures on 3-4kg gear and whippy tips...dont need a baitboard when trolling anyway.

Could be the start of a whole new world of "cowling gear"....no reason not to glass a few thin layers of cloth or chop and some reinforcing on the inside of even a new cowling for strength. maybe beef up the latch. Its just a cowling so whynot put it to use.

Beer holder looks just the right spot for a lefty too :grin: