PDA

View Full Version : What are those Anchor poles called?

Chanlo
25-04-2010, 10:01 PM
As title suggests

What are those Anchor poles called that are used in AFC type tournaments?

Also where and how much do they cost?

Steve B
25-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I think they are called 'powerpoles'

About $3000 fitted, and work to about 10ft deep.

http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/pp-003.htm

Here is a link to some info.

The blokes I know who have them, love them. Are they worth the cost???? not sure! very specific use.

CHeers Steve

finga
26-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I had a look at the site Steve.
Wouldn't they be better mounted on the front in a similar position to the traditional anchor?
They say you can use them in all currents etc but with the low freeboard a lot of newer style boats have I wouldn't want the back exposed.
They look just like a spear. Is that right??

stevej
26-04-2010, 09:28 AM
generally the guys fish from the front, so it would be in the way as part of the housing stays above gunnel height, also eletrics etc all down the back so shorter runs of cable

also a hazard on visibility when driving
your also generally going with thec urrent casting in front so having it at the back i sno issue

sleepygreg
26-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Send a PM to Scott Mitchell. He has just had one fitted to his new boat, and he had one on his old boat as well. he has been using them for years and I am sure he would be able to explain their use and benefits. He may even answer by posting on this thread.

Greg

kitty_cat
27-04-2010, 07:33 AM
scotts the man i think he may even have something to do with the sale of the power pole
i fitted his one and looks the goods with just another edge for fishing as soon as a fish on the drift hits your hook the wireless control anchors you on the fish while you fight the one you have hooked up this keeping you on the fishing ground without any disturbance ect

wayne

siegfried
27-04-2010, 09:05 AM
:LMAO: 3 Grand, FMD their bigger tools then I thought

Steve B
27-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I had a look at the site Steve.
Wouldn't they be better mounted on the front in a similar position to the traditional anchor?
They say you can use them in all currents etc but with the low freeboard a lot of newer style boats have I wouldn't want the back exposed.
They look just like a spear. Is that right??

Scotty,

I believe they are better suited on the back as the front usually has a bowmount electric motor, thus taking plenty of room.

I have fished in a boat with one, they are a very quiet way of holding in a position, particularly on shallow points in impoundments. no messy and noisy anchors, they can be up and down in a short time if needed......yep they are a spear basically...not sure about currents., As others have said, Scotty from Hervey bay would be the man to comment there.

Cheers Steve

stevej
27-04-2010, 04:34 PM
:LMAO: 3 Grand, FMD their bigger tools then I thought

your point?

FNQCairns
27-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Haven't they have been around for ages as a manual setup?, each to their own i suppose.

finga
28-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Haven't they have been around for ages as a manual setup?, each to their own i suppose.
I've been called one for years..ie stick in the mud.
But I can see the huge benefits in them for the style of fishing they're meant for.
Stupid me actually went looking in the shed to see what I had to make something up. Not enough crap is the new shed yet. It's all still in Brisbane...and when's the next boaties market??

I personally could not justify the expense but a lot of people cannot see the value in the cook's $3,000 saddle either. But she can. So who's to argue??
Each their own and good on you if you use them and love them....much, much better then pi$$ing the money against the wall at the pub I reckon.

Greg P
28-04-2010, 07:18 AM
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=34870&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10119&subdeptNum=11301&classNum=11307

Not that i would even pay this much but 3k is ludicrous. I think I would be heading bush to the nearest big ass bamboo tree and cut a length :grin::grin::grin::grin:

stevej
28-04-2010, 01:42 PM
where you get 3k from , us dollar isnt 50c,
no more a joke then a fly fisherman spending $200 on a wooden landing net ?
many examples of expensive boating fishing gear that are used for specific purposes

sleepygreg
28-04-2010, 11:49 PM
the 'know alls' said the same thing about sounders, and gps, and radar....when they first became available/affordable to rec fishos. I cant see the point of spending $1000 on a 2500 size spinning reel.....but im not going to castigate someone who does (and there are plenty of them). I am still shaking my head at the bloke that paid me $500 to put a tartan wrap on a rod that would normally have cost him $250 (thats without any wrap), but hey..each to their own...why pay $1000 or more to install an electric anchor winch ....when you can just pull the sucker up by hand? If you are a serious fisho that likes good gear, and spend $50k or $60k on an estuary/impoundment boat.......add up the cost of the rods/reels/lures you have on board...then put the powerpole into perspective in the scheme of things. A bit like the guys who fish offshore....how much is a decent set of outrigger poles and bases/ tuna tubes/prey wash systems.....the list goes on.