PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Johnson 6 hp motor- deturne

timddo
23-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Ok.. i have just brought a crabbing boat. it's 2.55meters and comes with a 6hp motor. Is there a way i can detune it back to 4hp to avoid registrations. ( the motor does not say how many hp on the cow. I was going to reduced the throttle power adn stick a 4 on it. ( is that legal)

Boat will be used on camping trips -- Maybe 1-2 times a year?

FNQCairns
23-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Nope none legally, in the past when it was easy people had been known to change cowls on engines to make them either seem bigger or smaller, the smaller was an over reaction in that era.

1 or 2 times a year? take the chance afterall it's just rego (money for jam) there is no 3 party component. If you get caught take it on the chin?

Noelm
23-04-2010, 01:29 PM
I guess what it amounts to is, the model is a 6HP, as far as the law is concerned, how fast you dive it is not the issue, ae you sure about the HP thing? I thought I read somewhwre they changed the wording on that.

timddo
23-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Noelm. I checked the model number online and it says 6hp. There is however no number on the cowling. 1979 6hp - it's looks new though

Noelm
23-04-2010, 02:02 PM
sorry, I meant I thought I read the wording on the HP before rego law had changed, but I could well be very wrong, I thought it was changed to be more inline with NSW with things like "potential speed" and stuff like that.

Kero
23-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Would you even need to register that boat? I may be wrong but isn't it that if it's top speed is under 10 knots, then no rego, or is it no licence?:-/

finga
23-04-2010, 07:19 PM
The 10kt speed bit is for NSW.
QLD is 4hp and over pay the rego.
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Registration/
Over 6hp and get a license
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Licensing/

Is there anything on the motor that says 6hp??
What's the engine number as some engine numbers stipulate hp rating especially the Johno's and Evinrude (basically the same motor).

The trouble with the physical appearance of those 6hp and the 4's of the same era is huge.
If I can remember the 6hp should have a forward/neutral/reverse and the 4hp of the same era had just a turn the motor around for reverse and no neutral.
The cowl for the 6hp should be a one piece easy to take off job whilst the 4hp is a 3 piece cowl that you need a screwdriver to take off and it's a pain in the butt.
It would be easy to notice from a distance to someone in the know.

You cannot get the motor detuned and restamped. The boys in blue just go for the size of the outboard.
So do you run the gauntlet??
Up to you matey :)

timddo
23-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I ask for a new 4 hp 2 stroke and they mention $1470 but discounted to $1350.

hmmmm,,, now thats super expensive in my books

black runner
23-04-2010, 07:37 PM
If there is nothing to readily identify it outwardly as a 6 then just plead ignorance, especially if it has not been registered previously. If it has and the serial number is stated on the papers then difficult to try to convince authorities otherwise.

Cheers

seahound
23-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Rego for rec 'boats' in NSW is also HP based these days...no longer speed

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/rec_boating/boat_registration.html

deathstar 3
23-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Drive it like you stole it!!!!!!!!!!!!