PDA

View Full Version : Safety Message Worth a read.

Kevin Garrett
23-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi
I just read a report from USA COAST GUARD I thought was interesting They saved 4 fishermen from their sinking 23 foot vessel that was 20 miles off the coast of Carolina.
The skipper had just purchased a SPOT SATELLITE GPS MESSENGER & activated it while the four were standing on top of their sinking vessel The time was 1600 hrs.
The distress signal was picked up by the International Emergency Response Centre, they in turn Passed all the details on to the the local Coast Station Who then activated a rescue team The time now was 1610.
Within the hour the rescue had been made the boat patched & towed the vessel to safe water The time they picked up the 4 fishermen was now 1700hrs.
Just Shows how important having the correct Safety Gear on board as their VHF radio & mobile phone were both out of range.
There are more details on the SPOT GPS> www.findmespot.com (http://www.findmespot.com)
Safe Boating
Cobia Kev

FNQCairns
23-04-2010, 01:12 PM
WOW! from what I understand if that where our mandated system the actual rescue team would still be drinking coffee without a clue at the same time that boat was being towed!!