PDA

View Full Version : boat pod vs wells

snapersam
22-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Hi guys,

I seek your opinions/experiences on the performance/stability of boats with pods vs boats with wells.

I have't tried a boat with a pod but have always wanted one, mainly for the extra boat space.

I recently bought an allison vision earlier this year, however it was stolen before I got the chance to try it out, (refer to stolen boats forum).

I am now about to replace the boat, but before buying one, I would like your input regarding pods.

Thanks heaps..

Noelm
23-04-2010, 08:17 AM
lots of plus and minus with pods, I guess as a rough guide, pods give more room in the boat, you can sometimes run the motor higher up, they can add floatation to the stern, lots of room around motor for steering and ladders and other "stuff" downside, motors further back make it harder to fish around, weight of motor/s is greater because of leverage and some boats dont like that, this is especially so on an after market setup that has not been thought out. I am sure there is a lot of other pros and cons that others will add.

dnej
23-04-2010, 01:19 PM
snapersam,
I modified my cuddy cabin, by adding two pods,one on either side of the motor. Was fantastic. I then went the whole hog, removed the well, filled it in, and added a centre pod.
Love it to bits, I went for the longer legged motor, and that keeps the motor higher out of the water.
Real happy. More room,easier access, for loading and unloading. Access to motor on the water as you can stand out there, sealed floatation, cant be swamped .
Now have a tray right across the back, internally.
David

Chimo
23-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi Snappersam

I modified a 10 ft tinny with pods. It runs a 9.9HP and I can stand on either or both pods with no problems. Can also sit on the motor with feet on one or the other pod.

Very happy with the result, no water over the back anbd lots more bouyancy. I dont think I'll go as far a David who has done a great job with his.

Cheers
Chimo

snapersam
23-04-2010, 10:57 PM
snapersam,
I modified my cuddy cabin, by adding two pods,one on either side of the motor. Was fantastic. I then went the whole hog, removed the well, filled it in, and added a centre pod.
Love it to bits, I went for the longer legged motor, and that keeps the motor higher out of the water.
Real happy. More room,easier access, for loading and unloading. Access to motor on the water as you can stand out there, sealed floatation, cant be swamped .
Now have a tray right across the back, internally.
David

well done dave, the boat look prety good and sleek.
I will buy one with a factory pod, once I get more feed back, so far the pod is still my first preference.

I am in the same industry that you were in , but not retired yet.

suzygs1000
25-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi, Dnej,

With all due respect, you haven't added a pod to your hull, merely lengthened the hull.

I believe that the length of a boat fitted with a proper "pod" is measured including the pod, therefore I disagree that a boat fitted with a pod has more room than one with a well, given both being the same length.

My boat does not have a pod, but is pretty well identical to yours, with the exception that, where yours has pipe running from the gunnel to the swim platform, mine has a continuation of the side plates cut at an angle.

Your boat now is actually longer by the added length, and has swim platforms either side of the "transom".

Dave.

snapersam
25-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Hi, Dnej,

With all due respect, you haven't added a pod to your hull, merely lengthened the hull.

I believe that the length of a boat fitted with a proper "pod" is measured including the pod, therefore I disagree that a boat fitted with a pod has more room than one with a well, given both being the same length.

My boat does not have a pod, but is pretty well identical to yours, with the exception that, where yours has pipe running from the gunnel to the swim platform, mine has a continuation of the side plates cut at an angle.

Your boat now is actually longer by the added length, and has swim platforms either side of the "transom".

Dave.

The boat is measured without the pod,
As for the room on the boat( from the manufacturer ) is bigger with pods , I know this because I actulally measured the distance from the transom to the chair base, With well you loose between 40 to 60 centemeters of unusable space, depending on the design.

Overall lenth of the boat is exactly the same , however since the motor is siting outside the boat ie on the pod , the transom is now flat and you gain that extra bit,

Sam

Chimo
26-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Now I'm confused, what have I got, given the motor hasn't moved but the boat runs flatter, has more more rear bouyancy, can back up quicker?

Cheers
Chimo